Power Isolation Transformer?

My subwoofer has a low hum/whine, & I’m guessing it is caused by a ground loop. My system was dead quiet until I put the sub in it. Unfortunately the sub doesn’t have a ground lift switch. I’m using XLR in & out to my main’s amp. Before the sub, the mains were dead quiet, noise/hiss wise.

What confuses me also is why this very expensive sub only has a 2 prong power chord. I digress. It is a Tannoy Definition.

I’m looking at isolation power tranformers online, but I’m not sure I need to spend many hundreds of dollars for one or is the one that is $150 perfectly able to do what I need?

Probably a dumb question but have you tried it on different outlets?

1 Like

Probably another dumb question but does the noise stop at any point?
XLR cables Off and at what point noise starts back when plugin cables back In.
(fully balanced system should not carry noise) Might be the other amp / amps / gear that does it.

Should be close to dead quiet Only with power and turning it On.
(ear to driver its possible to hear some minor hum)

No sub, no noise. Sub, noise. Pretty easy to tell where the noise is coming from.

Sure but from troubleshooting perspective.
When does it start, what it the “key the thing” that starts it → correct solution.

Saves lot of trouble by finding and figuring out the “key” factor before *blindly changing anything.
You could change cables, add signal isolators, new sub and power cables, outlets and still have a issues.

Its not any cable. Its a ground loop noise. All I need to know is if an isolation power transformer
like this one perhaps:

…would be appropriate.