Powered monitors + monolith thx aaa desktop amp/dac?

I’m considering picking up a pair of the Mackie MR624 powered monitors. I really don’t want to have to spend anything on a dac just for them so I was curious if it was possible to run the signal from the rca line outs on the thx to the MR624?

Yes you can. I use it to connect to my amp. You should be aware that the volume knob also changes the volume that comes out the rca line outs.

Ok awesome. Thanks for the confirmation. I’m also just assuming it’s better to keep the volume relatively low coming from the thx and let the speakers’ built in amps do the real work.

This depends on what sounds better to you and what the equipment can handle, but I think it matters less for new equipment than it did for old stuff. As long as the amp or the preamp are not clipping or adding signal noise, then everything should sound good.

I suggest trying to set the preamp to the loudest setting, and then set the amp to the highest listenable level to listen for unwanted noise. Next adjust the preamp down until there is no unwanted noise in the signal. This should be a setting where you will be able to use the amp to control the volume without clipping or distortion.