PREAMP - Schiit Freya+ vs. high end $$

Hi all,

I just got an Mcintosh mc275 power amp (pretty excited) and need a pre. Don’t want to spend a ton so was considering a Mcintosh c220 but its so pricy. Considering the Schiit Freya+ but will I regret it? I know they have a great trial period but I can’t really do the same for the c220. Any comments or suggestions?

I am sure the c220 will be better, but HOW much better is my question, I guess…? Or, do you have alternative suggestions? Thanks for the thoughts.

The freya+ would work just fine, but I would be concerned form a synergy standpoint, I think you might end up with conflicting sounds, and also by limiting the quality of your preamp you also limit what you give to your power amp in terms of quality. I would look on the used market for a nice mcintosh preamp and see what you can find imo. There are other options for preamps of course as well

Thanks so much for the thoughts and feedback! That makes sense-- while the Schiit Freya+ has received really good reviews, it might be a little discordant in sound.

Would a solid state Mcintosh be a better fit? Something like a C41? Its cheaper than tube but I might miss that tube sound ; )

Thanks again!

TBH really any of the mcintosh preamps would be what you are looking for, since you already have a tube amp, I don’t think you would be missing out if you didn’t have a tube preamp as well. What speakers are you running?

Sounds good. Running Revel f206 floor standing speakers. They are pretty neutral so they seem to go well with a tube sound.

1 Like

Should be pretty solid :+1:

Thanks so much!