PS4 Closed Back Headphone advice needed

I certainly prefer open-back if you’re not looking to isolate yourself. You’ll have a lot more options.

Currently, I’m sharing my room with my someone else, so I think closed back’s would be better, right?

the 880’s are semi open, they dont really bleed. the 990’s would work as well. they also sound great, just not as neutral of a tuning

I was considering buying the BD MMX300 g2 or BD DT 770 pro or BD Custom Studio. Which one’s are best for gaming and casual use?

are u in the USA? if you are, get the drop dt 177x. its 80$ atm above your budget, but its 32ohm easy as hell to drive, and better then the lesser dt’s

edit:typos

you can use the mic on your old gaming headset to start. not ideal, but i have done it many times in the past. hang it around your neck with the mic facing up.

and as far as a mic goes, there are plenty of usb mics for under 50$ that blow away all gaming mic’s

you can also try the fedelio series. they have the advantage of being able to connect the vmoda boom mic.

Fidelios over excess bass will start to get very very boring if not casual gaming 2 days per week and max. 2hours.
It’s just too much… but will work with vmoda.

I haven’t had a chance to listen to 990s but I can vouch for the 770 and 880, depending on whether you want closed or open. For me open gives you the bigger sound stage and makes it easier to pinpoint sounds. So, I’d you aren’t concerned about being distracted by outside noise I think I’d take the 880 and probably the 990 over the 770.

1 Like

What would you guys recommend for PS4 and an ASTRO MixAmp, DT770 or MMX300?

Hello,
Ähmm,possiblity one : Buy a Dac and connect it on the Ps4 pro via Optical.
So you can use any Headphone on the Dac,and the Microphone connect in the Ps4 controller.
Pro:Better Soundquality,more option of phones and Microphones.
Con:equipment have no limits and a bit expensiver for all.
The ps4 goes optical max 48 khz.
Best option Buy a dac with optical invert for max 150$ and phine max 150€,Mod mic for 20$.

Possibilty two: Go away from Headset in the Gaming Szene,they are really bad phones in my opinion.Because is not cheap,you buy every year a new Headset becaus something is destroy and not possible to repair.

Before you buy the expensiv Astro,buy better a Mmx300 or the Custom Game for the Price,the Custom game is a bit cheaper and the two are very solid,and can replace all pieces from the phones.

Another possibility is on the Playstation
Buy a Headphone Dt 770 for example and a Microphone with Usb connection.The are possible and need no Dac,but Soundquality is not so great to compare with a Dac.And the other other thing is with this possibility you don‘t can adjust the Sound to make louder the phone.
Because the connector from the Ps4 controller can just only drive max 16 ohm.So you must see before you buy the phone the maximal impedanz are 32 ohm.The Sound is suffisant but not loud enough.

Pro: Maybe the cheaper way when would not spend more as 200$ max.
Con:You can only adjust the Sound louder on the Ps4 who is not loud enough.The Soundquality from the Ps 4 is not the best.

I have found the best Price/performance Headset is the Custom game.
I have buy it for years ago for 200€ and are very solid,good Soundmapping,god Microphone,never make a problem with it,and very compfortable over hours.
Actually i use a Dac with other Phones and put the detachable Microphone in the Ps 4 conroller and works well.

Well i have used and use 32ohm headphones (100 dB and 101 dB) with no problem and they get plenty of loud. Soon will be testing 50ohm headphones (116 dB).
So only and max 16ohm is rubish.

Sound quality in music like quality is not relevant in my mind. Sound stage more likely to hear surroundings better.

Thanks a lot! I already have an ASTRO MixAmp pro, so I’m able to spend another $300 on headphones and a mic. What (beyerdynamic) headphones and mic would you recommend?

Yeap still calling rubish.
Most definitely the 50ohm headphones are not as loud with same level volume. Turning the volume up maybe like 12-15% louder they mach pretty well.
Turning the volume all the way up will be very loud, not pleasing.
All this, from the controller.

i have used 80ohm headphones on the ps4 controller, they don’t get the loudest though, but lough enough.
you would be surprised how many gamer cans are 50-80 ohms.

edit: and almost all gamer cans are 32ohms or higher