PS5 & XSX: Audio from Next Gen Consoles (Guide for headphone users)

You also need to adjust the chat volume to max. But yeah even then Sony decided to limit the max volume output on USB to something ridiculous like -15 dB. It’s no big deal though if you have a decently powerful amp.

The optical out on the TV may be an option. But some TVs have substantial delay. If anyone is still looking for an optical converter or cheap DAC, I confirmed that this one does in fact work:
https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Convert-Analogue

Can’t tell any delay at all tbh, maybe cause I’m using it for speakers, but anyway, I wouldn’t use it on headphones, the 3d sound processing is meant for speakers if you pick the hdmi out, I really just recommend getting something easy to drive and plug it into the controller.

Might re-buy the shp9500 or fidelios just for that now that I think about it…

Also random thing but my tv’s optical output didn’t really work properly with the ps4 I used to get weird screeching sounds so I had to go direct, but it’s working just fine with the ps5.

Hi,everyone, Interesting Thread!

I´m wondering about the following because i could not find any discussion about it:

Im using a Xbox Series X connected to a Marantz SR7015 via HDMI 2.1.
If i use the Headphone Jack in the Marantz or connect an DAC to it - it should give me the best Audio Quality or not?
Only Mic would not working?
What about Dolby Atmos Headphone or DTS Headphone X usage?
Any DAC should work?

Thank you.

Hi welcome HFGF!

Since the series X does not have an audio out option other than HDMI you would need to run the Xbox into the tv, then optical out from the tv to the dac and from dac to receiver. It’s kind of silly they got rid of the audio out option on the new console.

As for ‘best sound’, that depends on how the Marantz internal dac and headphone out perform for your personal taste. Are you unhappy with the sound of the internal dac and/or headphone jack on the Marantz?

I can’t really comment on the mic question since I don’t use a mic while gaming.

I try to post every week on the xbox insiders feature request thread on reddit begging them to just reenable USB audio on xbox since it’s a native windows feature and the xbox operating system is a windows based kernel, meaning it’s literally been manually disabled by xbox. It’s infuriating knowing that they purposely went out of their way to take that away from people. It’s not like they need to offer troubleshooting support, XMOS has a standard and if a product follows that standard, it should just be plug and play. If it doesn’t adhere to that standard, it’s not xbox’s problem.

i’m about to march down to redmond and do it myself.

I’ll buy you a drink when you march down here

Would imagine this is not the why they did what they did.
There most likely is a bigger plan in motion.

Just wanted to mention that the Schiit Fulla 2 works with the PS5. I saw the Hel 2 listed so i figured I’d try the Fulla and it worked like a charm!