Q5S charging via USB

I will be acquiring a Q5S shortly to pair with an iPhone. For various Apple reasons it seems like they don’t support the nicer BT codecs like aptX HD or LDAC. As such it might be preferred to use the bundled lighting to micro usb cable but I’m curious how that would affect the charging functionality of the unit. Will it drain power from the iPhone always, when the battery is low, or never? Is this functionality configurable at all? On the other hand, how much would being lazy and just using AAC affect the sound?

Hi! Welcome to HFGF!

I don’t have the Q5S but have had a previous Fiio amp/dac of similar style and comparable products from other manufacturers. As long as the Q5S has battery charge of its own, it shouln’t drain the phone battery. The Fiio model I had had a switch for mobile device (where it would use its own battery), computer connection (where it would draw power from the usb device it was plugged into), and a 3rd option to act as a battery pack for your phone. I imagine the Q5S has a similar feature.

What are you listening to? If you’re listening to lossy music (mp3, m4a, ogg) it won’t matter much. If you’re trying to listen to 24/96 flac you’ll probably notice a difference.

cool

mostly ogg converted from 16/44.1 and 24/96 due to space limitations

…[quote=“incertia, post:1, topic:14835”]
Will it drain power from the iPhone always, when the battery is low, or never?
[/quote]

im using the q5s with my android device via 3rd party otg cable and it always drain power from the device battery… its annoying and battery consuming.