Question on Nvidia Drivers and PC Audio

I’m putting this topic here even though this is related generally to my entire audio and not just gaming.

I’m running Win10 Pro with a Geforce 1080ti. My sound is external through my Schiit Magni/Modi stack. Whenever I install new nvidia drivers I will ensure NOT to install the HD Audio drivers as I don’t use audio at all through the card.

However, it seems like Win10 somehow will do an update and install the drivers anyway eventually. I have noticed that at times my sound will be at a different volume though I haven’t adjusted anything in my volume setting. I mostly notice this annoying thing when playing Monster Hunter World on PC. For the longest time I had it on max settings and it was just not very loud at all though the rest of my sound/music was.
Well a few days ago I updated my nvidia drivers (minus HD Audio) and noticed my volume was back to good levels in MHW. So much I had to turn it down some.
The very next day the volume was jacked again in that game. Driving me absolutely nuts!

Does anyone have any input or thoughts on this? Anyone that games but also listens to music as much or more…anything typical you do with your audio settings in windows? I’ve been meaning to ask for a while and haven’t gotten around to it.

Now that I am experiencing Hi-Fi audio I just want to make sure I am truly getting the best I can. I typically will keep my bitrate at 24/96 in windows though I am sure that matters none with this stuff.

Oh and to be clear…MHW is the only game I have this issue with…but in general there are times where it seems Windows has F’d with my sound without me doing anything different.

Firstly I would go into your sound settings in win 10 control panel. Disable all Nvidia high def audio as you do not need it. The only setting or driver you should need is for your modi/magni setup. Nvidia used to do that to me until I disabled those high def settings. Once done I have never had that problem again.

I wonder if that messes with some games for some reason. Because I’ve done that but now Overwatch tonight was bugged audio if I chose dolby atmos for headphones…and no I do not set my headphones to 5.1. straight stereo to get my best sound. Game still sounded perfectly fine without dolby atmos but makes me think nvidia hd audio has something to do with that. Either way it’s disabled and I’ll leave it that way. Thanks!

The Nvidia drivers are used just when you want to send the audio via hdmi cable to your tv/monitor/projector if you’re using the modi you’re never using the nvidia drivers even if are installed. About the settings in order to get the “best” you can you should disable the digital volume on the player if possible and enable the exclusive mode in the audio settings in this way you avoid any kind of resampling and manipulation of the original file.