Questions about "DSP processing" for gaming

I don’t really know specifically about what DSP processing, but I’ve been told that it enhances the imaging and soundstage, since the gaming audio comes from a digital source. I think that’s one reason the Audeze Mobius has such great imaging(by the internal DSP). And I want to know how to “DSP Process” with my current AMP/DAC. If not, should I just get something from the SoundBlaster or the GSX soundcards?

Buy Dolby access for $15. Do that and never waste another thought on any other dsp bs. Dolby has a game mode that helps positional sounds stick out better but it’s not going to fix a shitty sound engine built into a game.

1 Like

I agree, Dolby Atmos for headphones is better than any cheesy sound card or build in USB headphone DSP, DTS X for headphones also works well.

Yea it’s pretty much just atmos but built in. Seconded on the others opinion here…

Try not to believe all the bs advertisements in the gaming market

Can headphones that already have a nice soundstage (K712, DT1990, HD800s, T1) benefit from the Atmos or the Redscape audio? Also, can the Atmos be used with the EQ from the ADI 2 DAC? I’ve been told that double audio transformations could ruin the sound…

The audio already is in Atmos coding before going in RME ADI 2 DAC so Yes. You can.
Depending what you change, it might ruin it or at least change it.

oh it will definitely ruin it’s sound quality… some gamers want the placements to be more “obvious” when it really just boils down to experience with proper soundstaging and imaging where you need just general practice with hearing different directions. 7.1 being a bad set of speakers paired to something like HD800S or T1 both of which have crazy large stagings just screws their imaging every which way… so while yes… technically it may make the sounds more “obvious” it also makes them quite inaccurate and echo-y… it damn sure doesn’t make them more accurate I can attest to that one

Still depends what settings you change on it. :slight_smile:
If you would use Atmos surround coding and just lower or boost bass or treble just a bit, the Atmos effect is still present. Just minor minor tuning is what i aimed at when it should not ruin anything while having the effect.
Any more of course will ruin it all things will sound weird.

Yes. No shortcut’s being bad.

1 Like

Personally atmos or DTS did nothing for me, redscape audo or nx waves on the other were very effective and at least to me don’t ruin the sound at all, if anything it sounds better. Incresing soundstage and imaging. That said, whether or not a game will make good use of the 3D space is a crapshoot.

Have you tried applying Dolby Atmos or Redscape audio on your HD800s or T1? Also, do you think high end stereo headphones like them can detect whether the sound is coming from above or beneath, or from behind 4, 5 or 7 o’clock?

The audio has already been coded and processed so it sound’s like surround audio. Airplane fly’s over or a subway runs underground etc.
Depending where the audio is coming, you hear the direction. It’s in the audio. How good depends on the audio and how good it has been made. Surround quality. Plus in games the audio engine.
Not as much how headphones detect it since it’s there already, before the headphones.
It can be any headphone or IEM and have the surround audio.

Differences are more in sound stage and imaging or how narrow or wide the field of sound is and how the audio moves between left-right.
More wider the field is, nicer effects sound.
If it’s right in the center with no sound stage, its pretty bad. You still hear up and down but it’s still dead center.

So do you think the ideal headphone for competitive FPS is the one that has accurate imaging and a decent soundstage? I’ve heard that a too wide soundstage could mess up the imaging…

I only play for fun and not competitive. Personal preferences probably has some role also in a Ideal headphone. I would still say yes. Having good and accurate imaging and decent sound stage(somewhere between shoulders and head, maybe?)) would help in FPS gaming.

The wide part, was more a general comment on surround effects. If they sound like being wide and far, then the panning happens everywhere. It’s very nice.
That might be bad thing in some games. if you hear mob being like 30m away and it’s actually around the corner so that would be bad.