R2R / Multibit / Ladder DAC Discussion and tier list

Let me say that R2R doesn’t exactly “have a sound”. Overall to me it’s just more natural. Sigma Delta’s (on the cheaper end) tend to smooth out sounds. Specifically D/S can’t reproduce fast transients as fast as I’ve noticed and are subjected “quantization noise”. But if you want a good sigma delta I would LOVE to get my hands on, the Mola Mola Tambaqui has me DROOLING.

1 Like

the Audio GD R2R 11 is still available in Europe for 350 euros. Far cheaper than Denafrips and also the Soekris. I wonder if its worth it. The reviews are generally positive.

Would you still say that it compares favourably to something like the Modius or the Chord Mojo or something in that price range? or even ifi stuff?

What type of sound are you looking for in your DAC?

If you are looking for nice wide and tall sound stage, dynamic, great bass slam, and warmth, you can’t go wrong with the BF2. Unfortunately, everyone else wants one too.

I guess that’s what I’m looking for. I saw three Bifrost first editions on sale on Schiit’s website.
I guess there’s a big step up from first to second edition.

Is that with the Multibit DAC?

Bf2 has its own multibit yes… different then the multibit cards in other schiit products I believe

1 Like

BF2 only comes in MB

2 Likes

No experience, but I have looked really much at them and it was close to be chosen over the Ares ii. The fantastic reviews of the Ares (also over the Soekris 1451), the lower price and a third thing about 1451 I can’t remember made the decision towards Ares ii.

Soekris is a Danish company and I drive by several times every month, so stopping by and picking up a 1451 is tempting.

1 Like

But the price has me running screaming out of the door…

3 Likes

Interesting. Especially since you’ve chosen the Ares over the local brand. They have a couple of smaller and cheaper models too, the 1321 and the 1101, 420 euros each I think.

1 Like

I know, but I wanted more than those two, if it was Soekris. Don’t ask why… :thinking:

1 Like

I shan’t. Do you find that your Ares works well with any amp in particular?
Does SS work better than Tube? Hybrid?
Do any amps mask the sound or make it sound more DeltaSigma-like?
Do planars or dynamic drivers sound better or worse with the Ares?

1 Like

I’m eying this bad boy real hard… 50/50 on shooting an offer.

5 Likes

NOS DAC’s like that have a very specific sound, people seem to either like or hate.

I wonder how the Bifrost 2 compares to the Yggdrasil?
Also how Multibit/R2R compares FGPA and custom dacs like Chord/DCS etc

The BF2 has been called the “the baby Yiggdrasil” by multiple reviewers.

1 Like

That’s interesting because I’ve heard rumors around, even on Hifi Guides the next dac getting a new version is the Yggy

Somehow I doubt they’ll make a new version. Part of its $2500 price is the promise that it won’t become obsolete. Maybe they’ll have new boards for it that you can upgrade to.

It has a similar sound to the Gungnir A1, which is also similar to the Yggdrasil A2. Which is why that gets thrown around.

yeah, it had a unison USB upgrade at the head of the year and apparently there’s another change coming down the line.