Raspberry Pi Streamer

Has anyone built their own Raspberry Pi streamer?
If so, do you have a dummy proof instructions to build one?

I have experience with building my own PC, but haven’t found a good resource to follow to build one of these.

It can be very fiddly to get a Single Board Computer (short: SBC) to do what you want.
Unless you are very constrained for money, just get one and play with it until you get it to work.

Maybe get something like the Pimorino PirateAudio Shield for the Pi, with the included software it should be straight forward for people dipping their toes into SBC’s for the first time.
For ease of setup, get a full sized Pi of some sort. The LAN-port gets arround the process of getting wifi working (you don’t want to dive in face first to this mess…)

Another option would be an Odroid C1+ and HiFi-Shield 2 for it. Runeaudio has a pre-built image (= OS + software) for that combo.

If you want to pay the roon tax I think it works with the pi as well

An alternative to Pi is the VIM/Khadas Tone Board route, khadas is attempting the support of Volumio.

Thanks for the replies!
I mean, I get the gist and know which pieces I need to buy, but are there any resources that go through the step-by-step procedure?

1 Like

They have a video if you wanted to use their DAC as well as some documentation.

https://orchardaudio.com/pecanpi

1 Like

Dang, their made products are overpriced af, lol

Sweet, I think I can build it with these instructions. Darko.audio also had a good overview with its potential.

Here is what I did in my back room with a Raspberry Pi.

Setup a basic install of Raspbian and get it on the network.
Install VLC (it may already be on Rasbian)
Get the VLC Mobile app (Android and iOS)
Setup VLC to be accessible on the network. The mobile app is helpful with directions.
Connected an external SSD to the Pi and loaded it with my entire music library.
Connected the Pi to my DAC/amp via USB.

Then I use my phone or tablet to connect to the Pi and play my music from the Pi. I don’t have to have a keyboard/mouse/monitor all the time with the Pi to control it for playback. All done from the mobile device.

I’m not sure if that’s quite what you’re looking for, but it’s a simple and inexpensive way to have a semi-headless Pi for playback.

2 Likes

If you want easy network streaming on linux… super simple. Pulse Audio allows you to identify remote ‘audio sinks’. Once you get pulse audio setup with your sink’s and sources, the ability to stream anywhere on a LAN is easy peasy. What I have not played with yet is Pulse Audio for windows. I can say I have tested using a Schiit Fulla 3 on linux and a dragonfly cobalt. Using either has been very simple and will work on any ARM device with Pulse Audio.

1 Like

Nice. I’m a Linux user myself and use Pulse Audio too. I’ve not tried it with LAN streaming before, so I’ll check that out.

Where I would start: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Examples

1 Like

How’d you know I use Arch, btw? :rofl:

Thanks for the link!

1 Like

I’m a developer for Arch Linux ARM (when I can). I didn’t know you use Arch.

Joke: How do you know someone uses Arch?
… they tell you.

1 Like

Fantastic thank you for this am looking to do this in my front room :ok_hand: