RB42 budget amp for desk setup with remote?

I’ve been trying to find a speaker amp that works for my setup into RB42 bookshelves and the closest few products that I’ve found are the SMSL SA300 and the Topping MX3 that suit my needs. All I want is a clean amp for the RB42, preferably with remote functionality. My current signal chain is a Topping E30->THX789, and my assumption is that I’ll be using the RCA passthroughs to power the speaker amp. I currently use the E30 in DAC mode, but if I need to swap it back to preamp mode to be able to control volume using the remote in order to accommodate for a speaker amp then that might be the compromise I may have to make. Are there any other options under ~$150 or so that may work with my setup? I’ve seen some posts about receivers as well, and those may be options depending on the dimensions (since it is a desk setup).

1 Like

Welcome to HFGF! Another similar option for desktop would possibly be the SMSL AD18, which would be roughly equivalent to the MX3. I personally used the MX3 for over a year as my daily desktop setup, and thought it did an admirable job powering some vintage Realistic speakers. I’ve heard sound demos where it sounded very close to the Denon PMA600ne, which is a common recommendation for a stereo integrated. The MX3 is obviously a much smaller form factor, though, less expensive, and has great functionality.

1 Like

I use an RB42/MX3 set up for my TV and am very pleased.

SMSL AD18 will also do the job.

1 Like

@dcofficehack I want to do the same but on Amazon US I saw 2 topping mx3 and the one that is from Z reviews isn’t available so idk which one to get? Do you have a sub with it does it have to be passive or active? Finally is is connected via rca or optical bcz HDMI connection will need and have right?

I personally
Use a topping pa3 for my rb42s gets them loud and for the type of music I like to blast gets them to their very limits. The rb42s are hard to drive and we generally recc at 80 to a 100 wpc if you want to get them to their limit though 50w is fine if it’s just a nearfields desk setup

1 Like

I don’t have a sub and don’t know if it has to be passive or active.

The Topping as no HDMI inputs, but it has optical and I think RCA. My TV only has optical out, so that’s what I use. Most TVs have at least a headphone jack, so you could do 3.55mm to RCA if you wanted, though it’s probably best to do digital in some form or another to make use of the Topping’s DAC.

1 Like

Ok thanks bro

I think you need an active Sub.

1 Like

Just wanted to check back in on the thread and say thanks for all of the responses! I ended up going for the SA300 that I had my eye on. Even at the output level that the SA300 is capable of the speakers get plenty loud for me at my desk, although I’m sure that a receiver would probably be a better option for a large room entertainment system or something along those lines. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help!