Realism vs Accuracy for Audiophiles

I just found this really nice article from Audiophile Style. I think the discussion about realism and accuracy was pretty comprehensive. I think he also discussed some of the problems that I had with people claiming this is natural and that is unnatural. If you have time, give it a read. It’s kinda long tho.

4 Likes

Looks interesting will give it a read. Steve guttenburg talks about recording obviously with his connection to chesky records. Also, there is a youtube channel produce like a pro with warren haurt. Got to be least one audio mixer here on the forum no ?

Hmmm I only know @M0N that works in the audio industry of some sort. I don’t know who else tho.

It’s a cool article. To me the only way to judge accuracy is to listen and compare your system directly to the live performance. And not 3 months or 5 years apart. I mean at the same time. Since this is impossible unless you’re at say…PS Audio (they have a dedicated recording studio in-house), I’m happy to settle for realism.

Steve G. attempts to bridge this since he’s been present at a lot of Chesky recordings but he’s still going off memory (sometimes many many years old).

The article is a good thought exercise though. From now on when a reviewer calls something “accurate”, I’ll equate that to “realistic”.

2 Likes

Like steve for his tips on well recorded music for hifi listeners. Im sold on the idea recording the room.

Excellent article! Thank you for the share…

So what type of sound signature should the audiophile be looking for in gear flat neutral ?

Flat neutral would be closest to the recording and therefore closest to reality (because that’s how reality was recorded). I think it’s easier to get accuracy with headphones but easier to get realism with 2 channel.

The part 2 of the article

2 Likes

From what i gather sound engineers now use an app to make any headphone sound signature neutral, why ? Also, sound engineers use studio monitors with a neutral signature.

I might be wrong here, but I think it’s only for the sake of convenience and cost saving.

Hmm talking about this, I’ve been thinking about it for awhile. I wonder if there’s an app that can do reverb, but only to a specific region of the frequency range. So, let’s say I want a more lasting bass, then I would add a little bit reverb to the bass region. I think that would be an interesting thing to play around.

If the mixer is using gear with a flat signature ?

Guess the way to go would be to get protools. think in the world of sound mixing everything that used to be done on a studio consule can be done with a apple computer.

1 Like