Realistic music thread: When you feel the singer/band is in your room

Yup. That’s a good one! :ok_hand:

For the “I’m the one who’s there” sensation I think it gets down to having a band playing in a small venue so you can “hear the room” via reverberations off not-100% treated walls, but also from the band being small and using natural instruments that don’t take up a ton of bitrate (that’s when even YouTube’s 140-160 kbps compression turns out to be pretty close to lossless and able to reveal all the subtleties).

I’ve rarely had this experience, but one early case that I will never forget - which is more of the type where “the artist is here with me” -, was when I first noticed the difference going from onboard sound + any-old-speakers to dedicated sound card + entry-level monitors (Tannoy Reveal 502): in “I Don’t Feel It Anymore” William Fitzsimmons was in my room singing to my face and why did his head look like a computer monitor?

3 Likes

Man you did good if you got this impression right away after your first decent pair of speakers! :ok_hand: I’m just getting there.

1 Like

Still have the same ones. Once I had that experience I knew there was no more reason to change them unless they broke or something. I think it will be 10 years next year, I may have to start watching for bad behavior due to aged capacitors lol.

2 Likes

The John Renbourn Group - Live in America

A CD my mum got me over a decade ago, I still enjoy it a lot. Lots of texture from the vocals, tabla, guitar, flute etc. Feel like I’m in a tavern with them sometimes.

1 Like

See this one gets it: find something you really like and then stop

I’m listening to country/bluegrass legend Robbie Fulks’ new record, “Bluegrass Vacation,” on my Grado 325x’s with the G “bowl” pads, and it sounds like he and his band are right damn here.

Sublime. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This “happy jazz” album makes you feel like you’re right there sitting in the club, sipping martinis , and tapping your toes to the groove.

2 Likes

A young band from Germany, I’ve been listening to on repeat since discovering their music back in 2015. Their live album is one i absolutely adore and have been a nightly (or at least every other night - maybe a couple nights a week) listen since released.

I always use this album for reference when demoing new audio stuff. Vocals and instruments are feels.

Their debut album ROOKERY have also been on repeat since released. I reckon it’s perfectly mixed and mastered.

3 Likes

Happened to me about 6 days ago. I had just gone through the exercise of dialing in my speakers when I put this one on

I hit play, sat back and this magic happened! Just unbelievable. If I closed my eyes I swear I could see them there. Every instrument, every nuance - I truly felt like I was in the room. I have never experienced that sort of realism before. I have come close with headphones, but nothing like this.

8 Likes

Aint nothin but a pipe dream and my guitar…

Youtube > FiiO Q7 > HD800S

2 Likes

The pride of Syracuse, New York! My hometown – and current residence – too!

1 Like

Listening to this great track from the new album from modern bluegrass band Arkansauce on my Grado 325x, and I feel like I’m in the front row at a small club. The musicianship is off the charts:

2 Likes

I wish my room was that big to accommodate that many people, but, jokes aside, this track is mixed perfectly.

Here’s a fun one! Some heavy guitars and clarity to mess around with.

I need to come back and say what an unbelievable rec. thank you. This is an incredible album.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s appropriate to reply here (apologies everyone) but you can experience them live on 26 July at Paradise :wink:

Happy to read your reply and to share the rookery goodness :v:

1 Like
2 Likes

Also my favorite jazz vocalist! Juno award winner!

2 Likes

Resurrecting this thread because I found this. :heart:

3 Likes