Realistic music thread: When you feel the singer/band is in your room

I know there’s a ton of well-recorded CD’s. But a lot of em don’t choose to sound life-like. There’s euphonic effects, echoes, etc. This is not the thread for that. This one is for “life-like” recordings.

Audio equipment is one thing, but music making you feel like you’re “there” seems quite rare. Here’s my top 10. I want your top 10’s too. :grin: :musical_note:

Yes, LL Cool J - Phenomenon surprised me too. :no_mouth:

5 Likes

Interesting thread. Creep is good on my AMHD.

An addition I like.

2 Likes

Ok, one more comes to mind, lol.
Pictures are nice, but the music quality is
much better elsewhere. :wink:

1 Like

Great idea for a thread. I’m a live acoustic music lover by heart. I think there is something powerful in the simplicity.

The first is Martin Sexton, a singer-songwiter out of Massachusetts, originally from my home town in Syracuse, NY. Between tours, he records at his cabin in the Adirondack Mountains. Known for his live shows, he adds effects like yodeling and vocalized guitar solos to augment his 4 octive vocal range and unique guitar style.

Next up is Tenzin Chopak, a film composer and songwriter based out of Ithaca, NY

Finally, here’s a tune from Dan Bern, who I had the opportunity to see in a living room concert held at a friend’s house.

2 Likes

Thank you all for sharing!

Sound is also better when in HD on Youtube. Here is a 1080p version of that one.

Also yes youtube compresses audio so obviously getting all these songs in FLAC would help. But if it sounds life-like on youtube already, that’s a hell of a good sign :ok_hand: .

2 Likes

You can even hear the Trinity churches heating system creaking in the background…

2 Likes

I forgot to mention this one. Audio stores would play this instrumental CD because everything sounded like you were there, and that’s the main reason why it’s known. This is why this CD is basically “an audiophile meme”.

Still, If I did not enjoy the music, I would not have bought it – especially not at a premium price for the 88khz version. I did not get the (I believe) 2014 24bit/192khz remaster though. IMHO the 2014 remaster completely changed the atmosphere, making it sound like it was recorded “yesterday” instead of in 1977.

And that’s the most impressive part. It was recorded in 1977. How did it sound so good? Well, do you know how they achieved that? …They were late. Five minutes before the show, one guy put two good Neumann microphones left and right of the stage, crossed his fingers and pressed “record”. That is all.

And this is Fin Greenall… aka Finn. This is a comment under the song I already shared above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG5HsHC4eeA. “Nothing special was done”. Some people would spend so much money and use so much equipment to make anything sound “audiophile”… And they’re losing to people who just got good microphones and pressed “record”.

Indeed. :slight_smile:

Edit: Apparently that’s the exact same story for the Cowboy Junkies CD above.

4 Likes

I LOVE a good backstory! Thanks for the very interesting info. Indeed, some
“remastered” albums seem to miss the magic of the original. Often it’s our
memory which decides which sounds “right” to us, too, lol.

1 Like

Well, these three were recorded in the room, so I’m cheating: :slight_smile:

3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

This went straight to the heart when hearing it for the first time, and still does :heart_eyes:

1 Like
2 Likes

I love how the video was much more focused on Garfunkel and Paul Simon was just some dude playing guitar!

1 Like
1 Like

Another one.

1 Like

Might be recorded in a big place. Might be added “fake” reverb (?). I don’t care. This sounds great.
(Oh, no dubstep included here.)

2 Likes

The Gold - Live at the Lexington:

1 Like