Reccomendations going into midfi/highfi

I don’t think weight is the issue, it’s more the fit and how it rests on their head is my guess, noted here. The elex isn’t all that comfy initially and for most they tend to get used to it but not everyone does

I think the Elex is around 400-450 grams. I don’t find them heavy initially but after a while I think the clamp force is a bit tight/the weight makes itself known?

Perhaps. I don’t know if I will be able to feel a 25-75 gram difference though

The reason I am looking for comfort is sometimes I wear headphones up to 8 hours a day. I think something comfortable would make my work day alot more bearable

Edit: apparently I can’t reply anymore cuz it’s my first day

It’s on the cheaper side but I’ve found the HD600 (and/or a similar sennheiser) to be extremely comfortable for long periods of time and may be worth looking into if you end up getting a tube amp.

different strokes for different folks but I personally didn’t enjoy my LCDX’s so ended up selling them recently. the sound while accurate was a tad too dark sounding for me. I actually ended up selling off all my planar headphones.

When I had the Elex I found them bright and not bassy.

RNHP + Bifrost 2 fixed the dark problem. Now, scarred nothing will ever compare. I think I stumbled onto my end game.

1 Like

What is your impression of the RNHP vs Liquid Plat/ other amps?

Both good. RNHP is accurate with a hint of sweetness on the highs and drive on the bass. It breaths the most life into lifeless headphones.

I think the Liquid Plat would pair nicely with the Auteur if your thinking of getting it.

Thank you for putting those details in your question. It makes it so much easier to answer :smile:

I mostly listens to all the genres you’ve mentioned.
Here’s my recommendation:

Headphone: Hifiman Ananda.
In my opinion, this is the best value for the type of performance it brings. Specially after the price reduction. The build quality may not be up to par with its competitions but the sound characteristics and quality is more than enough to make up for it. I think I would describe the sound to be balanced and natural. Balance from sub-bass region, mids to highs. It never sounds shrill or piercing in my setups. The bass is quick and precise. Not a lot in quantity but plenty in qualities. Speed and transient response is superb as expected for a planar type. The most amazing and unique characteristic of it is the tall wall of sound. It’s a very unique sound presentation. You can pretty much play any music genres and it will sound good with this cans. It’s only 399 grams and one of the most comfortable headphones in my possession.

DAC: Schiit Bifrost 2. It doesn’t sound dry, just musical.
Amp: Schiit LYR3. You don’t have to go into tube rolling right off the bat. The default JJ 6SN7 tube that comes with is is very very capable. Only start tube rolling when you want to fine-tune the sound to your liking. This is the beauty of a hybrid tube amp. You can drive low impedance headphones all the way to 600 ohms ones. This thing has a crazy amount of power. You’ll be set for a while.

The synergy idea behind this setup is to get warmish sound without creating a hot mess at the end.
Pairing a fairly neutral Ananda with a hybrid tube amp will result in good balance between warm and neutral which is great for the type of music we’re listening to.

The Ananda’s are really bright. and i found the mids lacking. i mean really lacking. She wants a warm headphone so the Edition XX from massdrop might be more what she might want. though i dont know if the mids are lacking on it like the Ananda’s

First time I heard it being described being really bright and as for the mids, it’s not as good as say HD6XX but I don’t find it as severe as your description. I mean it’s all subjective allright but just curious what’s your pairing (DAC&Amp)?

When i had the Ananda i had a Sp200 and a SU8 DAC i used with it. i dont now if its the presentation or something else but the mids where gone on it and it really distracted me. It being so bright and the mids being gone to my ear is the reason i discarded it. Ive heard V shaped headphones before and i can usually hear more mids than that. I have the Aiva for instance.

I have the Arya and thats a great headphone im very happy with it

I see. I discarded my SU-8 for BF2 for similar reason. It just makes everything sounds lifeless to me. I suspect the pairing of this DAC and very neutral SS amp like THX is what leads to the sound characteristics you described above. I was lucky enough to be able to audition THX amps and found it’s definitely not the sound signature I’m looking for but I do understand how some people may like it.
That’s why I put all other components in my recommendation. If you take one out and replace it with something else, it’ll change the sound characteristics to something different.