Reccomended Portable AMP/DAC under $150-$200

Currently using some M-Audio AV32s but probably would upgrade later on… I am thinking so I can amplify headphones on my turntable while still having speakers

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X741TKG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5PzmEbM51Q0Q1

Yeah it should be just fine for the time being, but a dac amp either a portable one like the ifi or a desktop setup like a stack would improve the quality in the future

1 Like

thanks… mostly just wondered because i might still want speakers in the future and wouldn’t know how to use turntable with headphones and speakers so thing weird (or maybe just buy even more powerful powered speakers)

and because i realized with all the stuff i was thinking of getting to upgrade my experience i was paying 500 dollars overall so that will be more than a couple months away

my thing for the amp dac is that i kinda feel like i dont need much audio amplification (i mean 58X dont need a ton of power) and i still think about the dragonfly and stuff because all audiophile sites say the cobalt or red are the “best DACS for the price”… and i often dunno what i specifically would want since i just need slightly higher res files and very pretty sound from them

(also i know basically nothing about DACs or amps beyond “they are supposed to sound better”… and i like more warmth and more pretty)

I would get the Xduoo xd05, normal or plus:
-better battery life
-1/4" jack
-upgrade possibility for Bluetooth
-desk amp usage
-more power output
It is versatile and sturdy and with the above features you have secured any future upgrades. It is a no-brainer IMO.

the question is do i need the bluetooth stuff… i also prefer to make sure i dont have to recharge the battery when using it on my laptop at all… like that it just can run on the USB of my laptop (though tbh it just seems like a high quality equalizer that can make headphones louder)

well… after all the comments, I think the best way ahead is to choose one and see where that takes you :sunglasses:

just dont wanna fuck it up and waste hundreds of dollars

then buy from Amazon with return guarantee.
And you can’t really fuck it up, the rec’ed amp’s are all great. I think the Xduoo is best due to the vesatility and the sound. I like it better than my $500 THX amp, so I have no problem recommending it.

i’ll see… as well as the others… the big question is if i would hear a difference or if i should just get a portable amp because i more notice equalization stuff than fidelity

(also charging when i use my computer basically all day for like 13 hours means its annoying)

An amp and a dac will improve the sound, so it is more if it should be portable or not.

i just didn’t really notice it with a dragonfly black

Then why pursue it?
If you can’t hear the difference, then save your money and don’t dive into this rabbit hole :sunglasses:

because i wanna upgrade… and have more powerful headphones so i can feel like im having a new experience (im bored with my setup basically)

The XD-05 or XD-05 Plus are great for the price. I highly recommend them. Tons of power.

2 Likes

I’m thinking of going for a Fiio portable bluetooth, the Fiio K3, or waiting onthe Qudelix 5k. I’ve had such bad luck with bluetooth devices lately. My Galaxy Buds and ES100 MK2 don’t keep a proper connection over bluetooth, so I feel like I might as well go for a bulkier USB one and lug it around. I have no interest in the Dragonfly thingies.

I’m reluctant to try Bluetooth again. Somehow $25 generic chinese buds like Anker or Soundpeats have no issues on bluetooth with PC/phone, but my Sony XM2s, ES100 MK2, and Galaxy Buds have had issues where there’s no audio coming out on all 3 different Windows machines I use daily. I even got a Microsoft-recommended bluetooth device and switched out my bluetooth card, it’s all still trash.

I really like the btr5 for the price, pretty sweet. I don’t think I would recommend the k3 and instead I would save up for the k5 pro. With the btr5, you don’t have to use it as bluetooth, you can use it in usb mode and avoid wireless altogether if you want. The iFi Hip Dac is coming out soon which is a similar price so I will be checking that out at canjam in a few days which will most likely be a good alternative. If you wanted a more powerful portable you can look around and find an xduoo xd05 for around the 150 mark, and that’s got plenty of power.

1 Like

i kinda wish DACs were more like equalizers… i guess its easy to just see digital as all the same because well… digital is digital… and you dont really notice minute details like that, what you notice is mastering changes like a bit more bass or crisper highs

and i dont think laptops have lofidelity DACS if my old acer and my new lenovo couldn’t hear the difference between it and the dragonfly black 1.5 besides maybe a SLIGHT bit of difference (i think i MIGHT have heard it a little clearer and a bit crisper but i barely remember it and i threw it away after it broke so i cant see if i had a difference again)… and i dunno if i do hear a difference since either the M50s dont need a good DAC or i cant hear anything

And by portable I mean like able to be put in a suitcase and used in a bed, moderate size is fine since it doesn’t have to be iPhone level small

i kinda wish there was a DAC that was on the warmer side… i’d still prefer not needing to plug it in to a power source besides my laptop for it… and a small size to be used in bed… i like a warmer sound a la vinyl because tbh digital files can sometimes feel too cold and sterile

That kinda sounds like something from iFi tbh, they have warmer burr brown implementations. I think some of the r2r are warmer but more expensive and not what you are looking for