Reccommendations for other headphones to try out

Hey,

So I was wondering if anyone could help me with a reccommendation for headphones to try out / be a future upgrade. My current setup is Sundaras as my daily driver with a Geshelli Labs balanced stack for DAC / Amp. I love the sound I get out of the Sundaras. I also own MDR 7506’s, DT 770/990’s 250 Ohms, and HE-4xx’s. The rest now sound almost ridiculously muddy and warm in comparison. I’ve been doing a bunch of reading on headphones that could possibly be an upgrade to the Sundaras in the future. However, it seems like there’s a lot of complaining about the Sundaras ‘sterile’ sound. I can say, however, that I am inclined towards that sterile sound. I seem to lose enjoyment when I listen to warmer headphones if anything afaik? Could someone reccommend a more sterile (or very very slightly warmer) higher end headphone that I should take a listen to? I think the only thing I wish the Sundara had was a bit more midrange, clarity, separation, and bass impact.

Any thoughts? If you want more details let me know. This is more for hypothesizing and putting things on my radar than anything else. I appreciate you guys reading and thank you in advance for any help you provide :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Pr3ss

1 Like

I mean, I wouldn’t call the sundara sterile, but I do think that something to try might be an elex based on what you like, but that is a price jump. Something else might actually be a koss esp95x as that would be a similar price and imo has better separation and a bit more midrange actually, but lack in bass impact and similar in clarity. I do think the elex would be a bit more up your alley imo

2 Likes

Hmm ok. What headphones would you consider to be a good complement to the Sundaras instead of a straight upgrade?

Also yea, the Koss ESP95x’s look really interesting.

1 Like

Hmmm well this isn’t ness a complement but perhaps a dt1990?

2 Likes

Hmm, maybe less a complement, and more a polar opposite?

Yea, the dt 1990s are on the radar 100%

1 Like

But that sounds like exactly what you said you didn’t want lol

1 Like

Hahaha, yea. However, it also might help to hear something that’s as far opposite it as possible. Just wondering what people consider as close to, and as far away from sterile. Is there anything in the $500-1000 price range that you’d conside more sterile than the Sundaras (besides the elex and 1990)?

1 Like

Uh in the 500-1k range perhaps an audioquest nighthawk carbon, lcd 2 classic, sony mdr z, hd650 on a bottlehead crack

A used hd800, a used akg k812 perhaps

To clarify, I wouldn’t call these sterile, I just think they sound up your alley

2 Likes

Hey, have you had a chance to listen to ZMF Ori’s or Aeolus’s?

1 Like

It’s been awhile for the oris so I can’t say too much on that. The Aeolus is nice but not my cup of tea, it’s really made to just be very very smooth, great timbre, and just overall pleasant, but imo it’s a bit too smooth and lacks detail for the price, it does improve on a tube amp though. I much prefer the eikon or autuer imo

2 Likes

You might want to try one of the Sendy Aiva clones. The Sivga P2 is 400$ and the Blon B20 goes on sale every now and then for 350$

2 Likes

I was thinking elex too. Haven’t heard them yet but from what I’ve read it would be my pick as well

2 Likes

The Aeolus are great (my current faves) but they would be pretty opposite to the sundaras.

2 Likes

I would say the E-mu Teak when would more as the Sundura.

2 Likes

The teaks are pretty amazing for their price as well. Would’ve pretty different than the sundaras as well. A lot more base. Pretty v shaped. So you’ll get some pretty good bass and crisp treble and highs.

2 Likes

Yeah i 3rd EMU. theres nothing like a closed back bassy headphone. Sometimes im convinced my Fostex Ebony is the best headphone i have.

2 Likes

You could also look into the aeon 2 open or closed. I think they’re pretty amazing for their price to be honest. Great bass and stays really detailed throughout. Still really crisp overall. I’d say of all my headphones they were the closest “upgrade” to my teaks even though they’re planar instead.

2 Likes

Bass may not be as elevates as the teaks but it’s much tighter and allows the mids and treble shine more than the teaks in my opinion.

2 Likes

Hmmm. Ok. So I’ve been looking at in order are Eikon, Ori, Elex, 1990, Atticus, Aeolus, and Aeon 2s. The only headphone I have yet to ask about is the Ananda. Like the Ori there seems to be very little about it around. Looks like almost a direct upgrade to the Sundaras? How would the Ananda compare to the Elex?

1 Like

From what I read the Ananda will be pretty different to the sundaras. Overall bigger and more refined sound with more bass impact. But I haven’t personally heard them.

2 Likes