♦️ Request for Surround Sound Decoders (DAC-Bypass Processors)

So there are pro models that would do the job, but they typically are using standards that wouldn’t be common for home theater (like a dante network), also the reason I mentioned these was because of hdmi, which is what z wanted iirc, if you remove the hdmi requirement more options become available

So basically you are very limited for something like this for home theater, unless you go for more pro gear which won’t be as easy to integrate into a ht setup

That is because they are.
JBL says for cinema “run one processor to output analog into a stack of amps” (for reference, Product Page JBL CPi2000)
QSC heavily relies on Dante-Networks for their cinema gear.

right I get that, but its a shame that non professional or at the very least not major big league lever stuff isn’t made.

1 Like

There probably ain’t enough demand and pretty much no need.
Since plenty of AV-receiver’s are available, with good enough DAC’s or just plain digital outputs and other options but, they are not cheap.

Going from Top tier AV receiver’s to Pro gear, ain’t that much of a leap for those who want to go major leagues with ball’s out.
It’s should be cheap and have the digital output’s but there really ain’t need for it.

1 Like

Pretty much, call me crazy, but for home theater surround, imo the dac quality might not matter as much as you would think, personally while I would absolutely focus on having a high end dac for 2ch, for home theater, honestly I really don’t know if it’s all that beneficial to have a high end dac for your channels. Imo to get good home theater multichannel is much cheaper than to get good 2ch, and honestly with a higher end ht preamp/processor (it doesn’t have to be 10k+ high end something in the 1-5k range is plenty quality enough) the dac quality passes the good enough point to where for home theater I really wouldn’t complain. It’s only when it comes to 2ch is where I would start wanting something better tbh

Also to clarify for me good enough is something like el dac ii/enog/modius level if that makes sense, which I think is plenty for home theater and typically the level of quality or higher that high end preamp/processors will typically give

2 Likes

Would there be an improvement in sound if a $100 DACs are used L/C/R instead of a $20 DACs in a 1k AVR and can you mix n match DAC quality ? Also is there sound degradation due to long runs of speaker wire ?

Depends on what dacs are used, personally I would say it’s the implementation of the chips that matters more than the actual chip itself

Yes depending on the length and the cable quality and gauge, but you have to go pretty far

1 Like

That seems like it might. A bit overkill with that many. I assume that is for an application I cannot fathom at the moment.

118 Digital and Analog In- puts and 80 audio Outputs … Holy hell

Implementation is Everything.

There is a subset of home theatre enthusiasts who are legit trying to build a theatre system that’s as close to a full cinema experience (and in the case of some folks, an Imax experience as possible.)
I heard one guy built a legit 10 row theatre as an addition to their house with like 4 subs, subs for each main speaker and 32 channel audio

People spend into the hundreds of thousands for this stuff

I work in film and can never even conceive of being able to afford set ups like these.

2 Likes

To take advantage of this gear, you “need to know a guy”.
The Dolby Media Server I linked earlier can handle some wierd Dolby Cinema Format, the JBL one should be able to handle Imax audio.

1 Like

I mean, just as people do for 2ch as well lol, these hobbies are prob similar in the amount of insanity you can get to

2 Likes

Yeah the dolby thing is probably a modified form of the True 4K DCP output (the files that actual theatres get, where it is a wrapper holding each individual frame as an uncompressed image with a tracker for the audio to remain in sync so the player just does it literally as a slide show running 24-120fps)
Then you have stuff like Zappiti where you cna just rip CDs DVDs and various BRDs to a designated Nas, disk image and all and play that OR Kaleidescape which just Downloads uncompressed Files like Steam for the ultra rich

Yeah, my problem is that the tech addiction gets so bad with these folks they legitimately dont have any actual interest in movies and will watch literal garbage so long as it pushes their system to absolute max and call it masterpiece

Wellllllllllllll I wouldn’t deny that happening in audio as well lol. I’ve heard plenty of crazy systems being demoed with some of the most uninteresting and unenjoyable music I’ve heard, the only thing that makes it listenable is the top tier production but if the music itself sucks honestly production can’t save it for me lol, it’s more like a tech demo than listening to music

1 Like

Yeah. I mean. I come from a movie first background. My system is as old as fuck (42 inch hd plasma and 5.1 av reciever circa 2006) but its tuned well for my purposes until it’s safe out there. Then I’ll upgrade

I don’t know about you. But I have almost always considered my living room with proper setup better than most theaters. So many placement and mixing compromises when you have 400 seats to concern yourself. My home theater was all about one man in the center and I could REALLY tune it.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree. Though mine is tuned more for a 3 person seating experience.
I think I want to upgrade to floor standing speakers when I do finally upgrade. Probably something front ported like a tekton or triangle due to wall constraints. Or possibly omni directional

I think what they’re after is more the overwhelming experiential nature of the movie theater than a direct copy. So the speakers they buy will be higher quality. The amps better etc etc. But they’re chasing after that high of just total immersion. Huge image. overwhelming sound and everything else.

I’d really like to experience these home theatres but I will literally watch a movie on anything as long as its bigger than a tablet screen, I can hear it clearly and the movie is good. Lol I wonder what some of the guys that own the theatres I posted above would think of the underground theatres I’ve been to

the AVR makers and consumers blame the movie makers for poor image quality and weak/lazy mixing.

The spectacle of 4-story screen and rear speaker the size of a scion is awesome. But not sure if the sound quality is just arena loud.

Think more inline with that kipnis dude S.Guttenbergs buddy if the powerball pays out.

Those are so nice!

I would also if lottery game would hit the big numbers.
Speakers alone would be in high 6-figures. In a heartbeat.
Starting of the house and of course the large room would be made with acoustic specs also.