♦️ Request for Surround Sound Decoders (DAC-Bypass Processors)

The issue I have with home theaters like those “fancy” ones posted. Where ARE the speakers. Why are they hidden. I can almost guarantee that they are mostly looks and not OCD audiophile setups. They will certainly be advanced. But if the speaker isn’t sitting 1/3 of the way into the front of the room you know something is off.

2 Likes

I am no expert, but with enough money, you can build a sound optimized room.

Super expensive concert hall in Germany for example:

They can hang line arrays from the ceiling, but the inbuild (hidden) system is enough 80% of the time.

True.
Im speaker perv.
Walls and floors and seats all would be pretty and nice but speakers. No compromise on location, they would be fully visible and positioned correctly.
Fully exposed. This ain’t a HT or movie theater but the aim is correct. Just even more speakers in my dreams of lottery HT.

2 Likes

Usually they’re behind the screen and the fabric panels on the walls as they’re all acoustically transparent. If the side channels inlaid in the walls they most likely have custom made resonating chambers to catch bass. Same with the overhead speakers. most of those traditional theatre set ups there is usually about 3-6 feet behind the screen for the three front channel speakers.

As for the brand. A lot of klipsch (both heritage and Reference premiere) and SVS ultra tends to be used for mid tier set ups. Also higher end Kefs and sometimes tannoys as well. But also basically every high end speaker line has a centre channel built in or an optional third channel to purchase.

I’ve heard for example people buying multple high end sets of speakers for surround sound. stomething like the floorstanding high end Triangles or focal speakers and a centre channel and just using those five grand bookshelves as the surround. Literally 40 grand in speakers

Pretty no doubt the rich dude signing checks and the builders all wear slacks . The ones that are in the film industry notice get nutty 150k IMAX projectors. Often wonder if these nose bleed HT get used as much as the pool does which is almost never.

Im with zeos 80% home theater also should be made for finding a french fry in the sofa not having to dress up in a tux to watch remains of the day.

@ZeosPantera What about this?

https://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/product/evolve-ii-4k-hdmi-v2-0-multi-channel-dac/

1 Like

Imax projectors are weird. Are we talking film. Digital? A lot of Processors are selling IMAX ENHANCED PLAYBACK now.
There are sets of truth wrt to film people. The idea that everyone in the film industry is mega wealthy tends to be a myth nowadays, especially when there is increasing push to strip royalty and back end pay from a lot of the folks working due to there being no set precedent for streaming and hollywood accounting. The ones who are mega rich tend to be producers or multigenerational hollywood families. Most of the working writers I follow on social media literally just use their garage as a theater with like a 1080p mini projector and a taut bedsheet

He wants digital out, that’s analog I believe

1 Like

oh ok he wants the decoding not the dacs ok

either seen the build on an extinct HT site or soundandvision years back . it was digital, do remember it had the THX logo and thinking holy hell 150k for a projector.

Yeah. Tech prices have dropped a little bit since then. Most of the ultrahigh end projectors are like 50k now. none can do dolby vision HDR though

I know it wasnt a runco it was a japanese brand remember the article stating it was a full on commerical unit. Concrete dug in micro amphitheater mean they excavated.
FXing nutty. :upside_down_face:

Yeah. That’s ridiculous. At that point its just wanking off for the ultra rich

All I want is a pretty high tier 4k projector. Like that JVC one. No anamorphic lenses for 2.35 just a big 150 inch screen and no harsh blue light that kills my eyes due to me staring at a screen all day

1 Like

So is the buchardt system ready to go or are we still waiting for the surround sound wisa box? I know a center channel is coming

I think we’re still waiting on the surround sound Wisa

So from scouring the comments on the YT video I got some interesting links.

This unit is basically what I want… http://www.arvus.io/h2-udma.html
I don’t see a volume control or how you would interface with it VIA remote but to just see the 2 channel DAC outputs on the back in both BNC and AES with 2 HDMI in is heartwarming. Unfortunately the company seems to have gone belly up. The curse of the Z?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=37887 - This is just a processor with Auro3D and decent dacs. Not what I want but shout out to Monoprice for even supporting that format.

The DDRC-88D was brought up https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88d
It seems very similar to the AIO-8 I just purchased except I don’t believe it will interface with the PC via USB and can only input the 8 digital channels through the connections on back, not generate its own. More in this post https://www.minidsp.com/forum/dirac-series-support/15546-ddrc-88d-and-home-theater

1 Like

There you go was thinking an add-on component getting signal from HDMI.

Lol I emailed mads and he responded immediately. He said wisa surround sound box coming in Q2

1 Like

Marshall Electronics AR-DM61-BT-DB

7.1…4 digital pairs but would also need hdmi to sdi adapter with hdmi pass through and has a bunch of stuff you won’t necessarily need but will definitely have fun with pro gear ftw

Honestly the only thing I’ve heard of is a special Interface/DAC that does Atmos straight up in bit-perfect quality. These are designed for proessional use though and as far as I know they contain highly proprietary hardware, so much in fact that as far as I’m aware only one person (Deadmau5 himself) has one outside of Disney and Dolby.

THIS!!! Holy shit I can’t believe you brought this up. You of course are asking for the all-digital dream, whereas I have more realistic desires. For years I have wanted a CHEAP pre-amp that all it does is the surround processing. But because that doesn’t exist I just purchased the cheapest receiver I could get with pre-outs on it. Those are really really hard to find now. Usually pre-outs are only on upper-mid level receivers. When every cheap $300 receiver can do surround processing, what the fuck sense does it make that the ONLY pre-amp separates that exist are like $2k and up? It’s a bullshit ‘audiophile tax’. I do wonder now if they are using much better DACs in those high price pre-amps, but I doubt it.

Due to the fact I think DACs are a commodity, I am fine if they in the pre-amp. You’re not going to get digital outs on a unit that just decodes surround because of copyright fears. I mean, your idea would be great, but I just want cheaper pre-amps. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to get them.

1 Like