Revox B791 turntable worth repairing?

Hello Folks,

i have a question for you. My dad has an old Revox B791 turntable. He wanted to listen to some vinyl but it doesn´t work anymore - he hasn´t used it in a pretty long time.
He told me that he asked for maintenance and they would charge about 450-500€ for it. That seems to include to replace all the caps etc. I think its probably a blown cap from what i´ve read. I dont really know much about turntables but this player seems like it was something really good back than ( i think its from the 80s). He isnt particular an audiophile anymore i guess. He has some good B&W speakers from back than aswell. He doesn´t hear that good anymore and he is questioning if its worth to pay the money to repair the 40 year old Revox or replace it with something new.

A new one should not cost more than 500€.
I think if a new one would be the way to go, automatic would be cool, if possible, but i don´t know if it´s a must.

Can someone help me with that? Is it worth repairing the Revox or is something new good enough?
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Your turntable can be repaired especially if it’s in good cosmetic shape. I refurbish all my vintage turntables, it’s not that hard. That being said your table is an automatic with a linear tracking tonearm which I’m not familiar with. Apparently it sold for over $700 new in 1982 so it must be well built.
Linear traking arms offer different challenges. There can’t be more than 10 capacitors in that thing but being automatic and direct drive maybe a few more. They’re not big capacitors so they’re quite inexpensive. Automatic / direct drive turntables need proper cleaning and lubrication of the mechanism but would be fairly easy with a service manual handy.

A good tech might charge you about $400 but they’re likely going to be unfamiliar with it’s function and technology.
I wish I had it to play with it would be a fun project. I could get it working providing nothing is broken internally.
Revox made quality tape decks in the day so I’d imagine this turntable is well built.
Open an account on the Vinyl Engine website they have a database with all the service manuals for that table plus a forum with members like myself who know turntables.
Good luck…:+1:

1 Like

Its worth it if your dad likes it. a quality turntable these days is going to run you close to that much anyways. and odds are that one sounds much better then a modern for the repair price.

1 Like

Its overall in good shape and it can be repaired for sure. My dad has asked someone who repairs revox and he would charge 400-500€.
I have found Service manuals and stuff but i wouldnt do it for myself since its my dads turntable and not mine.
I guess this one is a bit more complicated because of the tonearm system.
I will check out the website you mentioned.

@joshua_g

He likes it, for that reason he has it for 40 years now. I questioned the same thing if a new one would really be better or on the same level as the old one.

1 Like

I’ve never had a linear traking turntable but it would be really nice if totally restored. Not sure of it’s finished value but higher quality vintage turntables in good working condition hold their value and usually increase over time. Not sure how desirable this model is but Revox was known for quality engineering. It sold for approximately $750 usd in 1982 so add the 400 to 500 spent for refurbishing and it should easily be worth $1200usd. Vintage gear that is fully functional and clean is like any other vintage item and usually goes up in price over time. Google it and add (for sale) and you’ll get links that provide the average going price.
Good Luck.:+1:

id tell him to do it. 40 years he used to the sound. and doubtful a modern in that price range would sound as good.

Unrefurbished ones still go for 500+ € in germany and good ones go for about a 1000€. Its not something we would sell, it would stay with my father and probably be mine in future. So i guess i will tell him to restore it, to keep it alive!

Thanks guys @Dobbs @joshua_g

2 Likes