Rice Guru’s Earbud Adventure: Electric boogaloo

Have you tried both the RY4S and RY4S Plus? How is the bass better, quantity, quality or both? Also any differences in the highs? I’m looking for something with a smooth high end and want to try fitting a bluetooth adapter to the mmcx connectors on these for when out walking.

Btw, I ended up buying the Yincrow X6 based on some of what you and Rice Guru have posted on this thread. They sound really great to my ears, nice controlled bass, warm sound sig overall and very smooth high end which I really enjoy for casual listening. I believe these are the same as the Vido’s but with a better cable - if that is the case, the Vidos really are a steal for the price!

EDIT: No need to reply, you’ve given a pretty in depth review of the Vido’s and RY4S plus’ in your post above.

I own both the ry4s and ry4s plus. the ry4s plus is just much better flat out the bass quantitiy is about the same the regular ry4s just sound a bit more metalic and compressed especially in the treble region while the plus is pretty good sounding especially sealed.

2 Likes

I have to say, I’m pretty let down by the FAAEAL Snow-lotus 2.0’s. I picked them up because everyone raved about the 1.0/2.0’s being “warm” with a good bass response, but all I hear is a crazy amount of treble. They sound nice, good detail, but they are just wayyyyy too bright for me.

It’s true that I’m relatively sensitive to harsh treble/sibilance and prefer a warmer headphone to begin with (kph30i’s are probably my ideal FR), but oof these are rough for me and I’m getting a headache.

Yeah that can happen have you tried double foaming them ? That will improve seal and hopefully tame treble down

1 Like

I plan on updating and reworking this list some wine soon to for updated more organized thoughts on them

1 Like

I haven’t heard the KPH30i, but I believe the Yincrow X6 has a sound sig like the one you are looking for. They’re really smooth and there is no treble harshness/sibilance at all. They can be picked up for $10. As mentioned above, I’ve heard that the Yincrow X6 are just a Vido with a better cable, so you can even pick up the Vido for $3 if you don’t mind the cable.

1 Like

I agree with this, though I have only tried the plus👍

So I went ahead and ordered some new buds today from Ali to go along with the VE Monk+, Philips SHE3800 and Yincrow X6 that I currently own:

• Blue Vido
  • Red Vido
  • FAAEAL Snow Lotus 1.0
  • FAAEAL Snow Lotus 1.0+ CE
  • NICEHCK B40
  • Yincrow RW-9

I was tempted to pick up a few more that I have my eye on, but decided to try these for now. Particularly looking forward to trying the RW-9 since I enjoy the X6 so much, will see how they compare and if they’re much of an upgrade.

2 Likes

RY04 and RY4S came in today! I have to say, this little RY4S packs a nice punch; has a great bass response.

Both of these have a much more pleasing treble response than the FAAEAL Snow Lotus 2.0 for me.

Edit: The RY04 sound nice, good detail, but considerably less bass impact.

4 Likes

I really like the RY4S Plus 32 ohm as well and also ordered 300 ohm. I was even thinking wasted money on VE Zen 2.0 :slight_smile:

Just wanted to thank @RiceGuru and the others in this thread, I can’t stand having IEMs in my ears and there really isn’t a good resource for earbuds…but I picked up the shiro yuki and been enjoying them for a while now!

2 Likes

no problem man I wanted to update this thread a while ago as it needs a lot of work and I have tried a few more since then and am ready to write about. but around the end of the year gets stupid busy at work

4 Likes

Yo. Just ordered two interesting buds that I’ll talk about when I get them. The Blue Ever Blue Model 328R Black, and then the ISN Audio Rambo. I’m trying to explore some that have shells that are not MX500 based. My other 2 buds which are the Moondrop Shiro Yuki and the KBEAR Stellar both sound nice in their own ways, but I find the shell to be a bit large for me and wants to fall out of one of my ears since I can’t get as deep. The Rambo uses a PK shell which is a bit smaller apparently, so I’ll see if that works out better.

For the KBEAR Stellars I actually loved them a ton. They have a little bit of sub bass which was funny out of an earbud. Its not super loud but its there, the midbass is a little boosted but the lower mids(proper term?) where the chunky guitars or male vocals are sometimes feel blown out. Thundercat for instance gets a little hectic with all the sounds in that range just being super loud. Female vocals sound pretty clean, and the treble isn’t aggressive at all. Pretty rolled off. Honestly if the fit wasn’t annoying I’d stick with these because it sounds good for most of my preferred music.

Fingers crossed one of these can be my portable headphones of choice! Or at least be a good tag team with the portapros I just got lol.

3 Likes

THEY HAVE ARRIVED! I guess I can give my initial impressions for anyone still browsing these threads haha.

Blue Ever Blue 328R Black:
The cable is horrific. Right away. Just putting them down on my desk resulted in them almost being completely tangled. Build quality is pretty sub-par, even compared to the cheaper china buds I have. However, the rest of this is pretty solid I promise. They are easily the most comfortable bud I have at this point. The heads are nice and small, along with being super light. Fit great which was an issue for me with the previous buds I got. And the sound signature closely matches what I wanted, something on the warmer end of neutral. I do find early on at least that sometimes the lower mid area can be a bit boosted/“shouty”, which is seeming more and more common among these earbuds I’m buying. The only real negative I have with the sound as a whole for the price I snagged them for (around $13 on ebay), is that they are super narrow. Going from my other headphones to this is a bit shocking how much more narrow they are. But with the comfort and good sound I ended up grabbing another pair to have in case this dinky wire breaks on me.

ISN Audio Rambo:
The PK Shell arrives. It is for sure better built than the 328R, but at around $50 it should be. Better cable, nice plug. Overall good. It came with a set of foams that legit disintegrated when I tried to put them on. However with one of the other foams sets that came with the headphones I found I got a good seal, better comfort than an MX500 shell. Not as comfy as the 328R, but manageable after a little adjusting. Sound on these is closer to the Shiro Yuki. Upper mids/Treble is the real focus, no sub bass to be noted. Very good detail but no sibilance that I noticed, even in the songs that I normally use to test this like Burn by Ellie Goulding. Overall I’d say think Shiro Yuki but just improved on the parts that make it good, and slightly more comfortable for my ears.

I dig both of these a lot. For sure sticking with the blue ever blue, will probably snag some of the cheaper koss buds since I think I’m addicted to trying out $10 earbuds at this point.

1 Like

remember to experiment with foams as well like donut designs and layering to get optimal fit

1 Like

For sure, going to try out the donuts soon but was having a tough time getting them on lol

Hello guys,

Brand new registered user here, as someone mentioned above there really aren’t a great deal of resources for those of us who can’t stand IEM and prefer earbuds so a review like this is very much appreciated, thank you.

I bought the RY4S MMCX buds and while I find them quite good for the price, I cannot find a volume control mic cable that will work with an ipod nano 7th generation (aside from buying the crappy apple ones). I have to admit it’s bothering me – can anyone (Riceguru?) recommend a cable pairing with this? I bought this cable but the volume buttons do not work, and the pause / play function sometimes doesn’t either:

I’m pretty adamant about finding a volume control cable that will work with the ipod nano so please, if anyone has ideas go ahead and chime in. Cheers and thank you again guys.

1 Like

@Soren_Peregrine
@Soren_Peregrine
Hi:) Can you add a link to the “12$ cable” you bought from yinyoo on aliexpress for the Ry4s plus 32 ohm? Thank you
Also, is there a nice foam like the one on the vido that you can purchase without buying the vido itslef? (its about 5 dollars now). Including the cable and foams the ry4s should cost around 20$. Is it still worth it?..

I think personally, my taste in earbuds has moved more towards a balanced sound, a little less V shaped. That being said if you are looking for a fun, V shape sound with as much good bass as you can get from earbuds, then I still believe the ry4s plus 32 ohm is worth it.
As for the cable, there are many that you can find on Aliexpress for around the same price, and you can just choose which color you like the most. I got a nice light blue and silver combination. I will link it here. I will also link some other colors if you want. When you select one, be sure to choose mmcx connectors and one that is not bent or has earhooks, because these will be hanging straight down from your ears.
Link to cable I bought: US $13.59 40%OFF | Yinyoo 16 Core Silver Plated Cable 2.5/3.5/4.4mm Balanced Upgrade Cable With MMCX/2Pin for BLON BL-03 BL-05 ZS10 PRO ZSX V90

Other cable options:
This one is probably lighter:
US $9.74 61%OFF | Yinyoo 6 Core Pink Copper Cable 2.5/3.5/4.4mm Balanced Cable With MMCX/2pin Connector For ZS10 ZST ZSR ZSn PRO HQ6 QT2

Cool purple color: US $13.95 28%OFF | Kinboofi 16 Core High Purity Silver Plated Cable 2.5/3.5/4.4MM With MMCX/2PIN/QDC Connector V90 BA5 KZ ZSX BLON bl-03 bl-05

Anyways, those are some cable options. As far as extra foam pieces for replacements, I have found the best way is to search and find them in bulk. Such as these: US $0.95 5%OFF | 20pcs ear pads for headphones Foam 18mm Sponge Bluetooth Earphones Replacement earphone Earpads Covers MP3 MP4 Moblie Phone

Or these:
US $3.42 5%OFF | 200pcs/100pairs foam ear pads for headphones sponge headphone replacement earphones earpads earphone covers ear cups 18mm caps

And here’s the link for ry4s plus 32 ohm again in case it helps: US $4.74 5%OFF | RY4S mmcx interface earbud 15mm music quality sound HIFI Earphone (MX500 style earphone) 3.5mm 300ohm

Just be sure to select a version that says 32 ohm plus. I got the blue color.
Hope this helps!

1 Like