RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

Could you supply me with a web link as Google just seems to put up graphic links.

I’m eyeing the Grand Saber 2 and Grand Alter Saber 2. Saber 1 was a Grand Slam for me and I can only imagine these would be too. Might be hitting you up after the holiday shopping frenzy is over.

1 Like

They’re Rikubuds, friend; @Rikudou_Goku hand makes them from OEM parts. If you check the first post in this thread, he has a Google Doc with details on all of them based on design/price/sound profile etc. To order them, just PM Riku.

3 Likes

The remind me of the Panasonic earphones. Very similar construction. Loved the pana’s for audiobooks and podcasts. Very confirmable but not musical.

I used to have some Onkyo E700Ms back in the day that were shaped like those that I thought were pretty sick. When they died I wanted to buy a new pair, but by that time Onkyo had folded and there were so many fakes of the E700Ms floating around on ebay and AliExpress that I kinda gave up.

I went to a chill French bakery/cafe last week who only sells bread and hot drinks while the owner plays the piano and people sit and talks at their table. I went and ordered a croissant and cup of hot chocolate since its chilly outside.

One of the staff with a sour discouraging face looked at me and told that the hot chocolate is “very bitter” and if I’m sure if I want it, “its not the usual Swiss Miss, it’s made from pure ground cacao and is very bitter…”. From there I’m sure I know what he was describing and I definitely want it :grin:

I can describe the Grand Berserker 2 the same, the treble is Dark. The smooth treble, rich and deep bass and laid back just like me enjoying my hot flavourful cocoa last week :coffee:

Like biting a 75% dark chocolate it wont please you the first bite. Even with the step back vocals(but fairly good quality) once the sub-bass kicks, you’re in for full deep flavourful lows.

I have been rotating it on my playlist. I love it with my Hip Hop and R&B playlists that has nice beats.

But I love it the most with Lo-Fi HipHop and chill music, oh man it’s so smooth and non fatiguing its golden. I have been looking for a bassy set that wont hurt my ears for long listening. This seems to be the perfect one :notes:

Many thanks @Rikudou_Goku for the fast shipment!

11 Likes

Thanks!

Awesome pic, there, very in-season. :fire:

2 Likes

Sony MDR-1AM2 (modded) + Hiby W3 Saber

1 Like

How do you like those Sonys, BTW? I saw a couple pairs at a studio I was at recently and it occurred to me that they’re one of the few populat affordable closed backs that I haven’t tried.

Sound wise in stock its nothing special to me. Way too bright treble and somewhat bloated bass (which does help balance out the treble).

Its not hard to mod it though, I tamed both the bright treble and the bloated bass and its now a really well tuned hp while still keeping most of the original traits (that is the elevated treble and very airy treble).

Price wise afaik, MSRP should be at 300 usd and that is definitely overpriced based off the stock sound. Although for some reason its at 200 usd here in europe.

Comfort though, is the best out of all headphones I got (excluding the koss ksc75, that one is god tier). Super lightweight at just 187 grams.

oh and look, its on sale now. :joy:

4 Likes

Interesting. :thinking: Thanks for the quick and detailed response!

1 Like

New color batch for gen 2.

10 Likes

Each of them looks great, but there’s something about all the colors together.

7 Likes

Thought I’d post my rambling thoughts on RikuBuds Grand Saber 2 - got them a wee while ago, life/work gets in the way sometimes. First just a shout-out to @Rikudou_Goku he’s great to deal with, and orders get here (UK) quickly - bonus!
So I had my first foray into buds with the Saber 1s (I’ll shorten this to S1s) - and I thought they were excellent for parts of my library. Caught the tagline for the Grand Saber 2 (GS2s) further up in the thread “Great for R&B, Hip-Hop, Metal/Rock” and jumped to order a set.

My library is mostly metal/rock - so are they great for it - imho hell yes (mostly - I’ll come to this in a bit). First on comfort/fit - the GS2s have the Val39 shell and I find them even more comfortable than the MX500 shells on the S1s, which for me are also really comfortable. There doesn’t look to be much difference, but my ears appear to think differently. As for the sound, two things that struck me straightaway was the bass, it sounds lush and full but also really clean (tried my cackhanded best to A/B with the S1s to put this in some sort of context) - even to my pretty poor ears there’s a difference between the two. The second is the sense of stage/space - and I don’t know if this is the correct term or not but they just sound really dynamic. Ok, this is three things but they have the fab timbre I also loved about the S1s. Wow does Lacuna Coil’s Comalies XX sound good on these - I swear I had Swamped on constant repeat for about 40 mins.

The treble is warm/dark sounding so for example cymbal strikes can take a step back - they are still there although tbh it was never a big issue as my attention was always drawn back to kick drums/toms sounding so good - like on Slipknot’s (Sic). Great for long listening sessions as no fatigue plus the comfort means I forget I have them in.

The “mostly” reference above only relates to some female vocals on some tracks just sounding a touch recessed (to my ears), but overall the GS2s are damn good and work with much more of my library. (Only one problem - now I’m looking at you next Grand Alter Saber 2 :thinking: ).

6 Likes

Yo I need a purple!! That’s my jam! Can the Grand series utilize these? Might give me more of a reason to pick up a Grand Saber 2.

3 Likes

Haha! I owned the purple one back in the day. Had that think kicking for a long time.

2 Likes

Yes, those are shells only for gen 2.

My family had a lime one until it died one day, only time we’ve had a Mac completely give out. Then we had the dome-and-stand one that was ugly but actually very practical as far as angling the screen and not taking up much desk space.

2 Likes

@Rikudou_Goku How would you compare Grand Alter Saber 2 vs Grand Rider 2? The descriptions for both seem very similar - neutral with a small bass boost.

Grand Rider 2 is warmer, with more mid-bass, less upper-mids and less upper-treble. Stage is bigger on it.

Grand Alter Saber 2 has more dynamic range, better separation, imaging and detail. Timbre is on the same tier.

3 Likes