RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

Glad you like them.

You should really try them, really good stuff. Also, to clarify, they’re $4 to $5 cheaper than the KBear Rhyme; a.k.a. between $11 and $12. They also come with a generic pouch, noting special but hey it’s something.

Got these for like $8 during 11/11. Man, some crazy sales, I’m already looking forward to next year :laughing:

Edit: for curiosity, measured the resistance with my multimeter and is consistent 0.9 ohms in each of the 4 connections (L+, L-, R+, R-). Also, a picture for the curious.

I already have a ton of cables so I dont need more. Also have too many pouches/cases that I dont know what to do with them lol.

1 Like

2020-12-17: JVC HA-MX100V review is up: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/jvc-victor-ha-mx100v.24840/reviews#item-review-24946

Best transducer I have heard for vocals/acoustic music. :+1:

Very likely to get the JVC HA-SS01 as well. Japan ftw.

On another note, I am going to get the Fiio FD5 review unit. So look forward to that. If I see that I wont get it before next year, I will announce my “iem of the year”.

1 Like

Before:

After:

Welcome to Asgard

Topping E30 + JDS OL Switch + Schiit Asgard 3 VS Topping E30 + JDS OL Switch + JDS Atom

(* = very good change will have a hard time picking the Atom over the A3.)

Sony XBA-N3: lower bass extension but actually a bit cleaner. *

JVC HA-MX100V: Even more natural sound, a bit cleaner and bigger soundstage. *

Sony MDR-1AM2: Cleaner bass (tighter and faster), a bit more forward vocals, bigger soundstage and more details, warmer tonality. *

Sennheiser HD 560S: a bit warmer and more natural sounding. *

Tin Hifi P1: warmer tonality and tighter/faster bass.

Tanchjim Oxygen: tighter, faster and more textured bass. Slightly warmer tonality.

Sony XBA-Z5: lower bass extension and a bit more rumble but similar clarity.

LZ A7 (pop-red): much better bass texture. *

Fiio FH3: slightly warmer tonality, lower bass extension and better bass texture. *

Intime Sora 2: better bass texture.

Blon BL-03 (mesh mod): better bass extension, tighter/faster and cleaner. *

Final Audio E5000: a bit tighter/faster bass but even warmer than it already is (not good).

LZ A6 (pink): better bass texture and bigger soundstage. *

Warmer tonality, lower bass extension, tighter/faster bass are the general changes.

Build quality is outstanding on it. Very solid and heavy (heavier than my whole Topping E30 + JDS OL switch + JDS atom stack lol). Will not slide around on your table either when connecting/disconnecting the 6.35mm port. The volume wheel and the switches (gain, input and power) are very high quality as well. It does get warm when it is on, but not hot (I can put my arm over it like a heater, perfect for cold places like Sweden lol).

I paid 260 usd for it (haven’t received any messages about the import fees yet, but I do expect another 60ish usd for it…). If you are in the US and have iems in the 300 usd range or headphones, I will definitely recommend it (at the price of 200 usd….). But for everyone else that will probably have a lot of extra fees added on top of it, I would only recommend it if you are interested in headphones or/and have expensive iems that you want to increase the quality of.

Although If I wanted to nitpick on it, I do wish that the side panels were silver as well rather than black and that it “only” has 1 input (RCA). While even my JDS Atom has 2 (RCA and 3.5mm).

Credits to @M0N for recing this to me and you can sleep well knowing I wont hunt you down lol. :joy:

5 Likes

We should make an official count thread for each Asgard @M0N sold. lol
Edit: freaking typos man.

1 Like

Audioquest Nighthawks Carbon ordered. :joy:

2 Likes

2020-12-26: Here is my christmas present to you guys, Fiio FD5 review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-fd5.24858/reviews#item-review-25005

I personally prefer the tuning on the A7 (pop-red) more, but the FD5 is better in terms of sound sounds more natural as well.

Also, some ranking updates:

Moondrop Blessing 2 from A+ to B+
Moondrop KXXS from B+ to B
Audiosense T800 from A- to B+
Sony MDR-XB75AP from B to C+
ThieAudio Voyager 3 from B C+
Azla Azel from B to B-
Sony XBA-A2 from A- to B+

Havent used the B2 in a long time, so comparing this to the FD5 just reaffirmed that the FD5 (and the Oxygen) are better than the B2 lol.

2 Likes

Looks like the FD5 will be my next IEM

1 Like

Fantastic review!

Personally, I’ll be reaching for the FD5 when I want serious dynamic slam and some serious bass. The FD5 is technically very impressive for metal, when fast low end detail and definition is necessary. It slams and rumbles yet is defined.

I find the FD5 to have very relaxed treble in comparison to many of my IEMs but strangely, it’s also very detailed. Still, it could have more treble presence for me, but it’s very enjoyable the way it is.

The fit for me is meh. The nozzle feels short and I need to use large tips to get a seal. I prefer IEMs that conform more to my ear. Poor isolation due to IEM shape.

I thought the semi-open design would have more of an impact, but it doesn’t. I’m guessing the open-back nature is for venting only and doesn’t have much, if any on the sound.

BA timber is not an issue with the FD5. Single DD for the win here with all the sound being produced from one source.

As I said before, the build is impressive and all the extras Fiio included makes this IEM a steal.

3 Likes

Thanks!

If there is anything I want to change about the sound, it would be to reduce the treble quantity a bit lol. I prefer L-shaped or bass boosted neutral.

Those vents dont really affect the sound that much, I do feel like it gets less airy if I put my fingers on them. But its quite minor (could be placebo as well lol) and certainly not like the EX800ST.

You must have pretty deep ear canals then. Since I wouldnt call them short. :joy:

Yup, single DD ftw. I am getting a bit interested in single DD´s in the higher tiers now.

1 Like

WOW! Seriously? I’ve been listening to the Clairvoiance and Legacy 4 a lot before these showed up and they are much brighter than my FD5. Maybe mine sound different, but I would not classify them as bright by any means.

I think I’m a fan of beryllium DDs.

Well, I prefer warmer iems. Like the Sony XBA-N3 and the LZ A7 tuning.

Love beryllium dd´s as well. LCP are also on that standard for me.

1 Like

Legacy 5 is one you should try then.

I would, If I wasnt satisfied with what I have lol.

Trying to stop buying iems and only get review units if I want something. My money is going to headphones right now.

I’m with you there. After the Monarch, I will be done for a while. I hope.

1 Like

We can only pray our wills are strong enough to resist. :joy:

1 Like

Come on, one more thing :smiling_imp: :smile: :question: :exclamation:

1 Like

Tripowin has given me enough nightmares with the TP10 lol.

I don’t know the TP-10, but the TC-01 is worth taking a look at, I was very pleasantly surprised :open_mouth: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: