RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

Ha, I bet you’ll be moonlighting in a few months!!

2 Likes

Not unless i stumble across a pile of cash somewhere :joy:

4 Likes

I’ve only got the one now. Others will be on the way soon thanks to @Rikudou_Goku quick builds and great buyer service. We’ll take some time to listen and then try to get a write up in.

4 Likes

Literally a picture of me waiting

5 Likes

@Rikudou_Goku did you ever have a chance to check out gs audios gd3c+d? I know that you were a big supporter of the 3a and couldn’t remember if anything ever came of the 3c+d.

3 Likes

@Tonytex_Teixeira has a review of the GD3C. He likes it better than the GD3A.

4 Likes

No, I lost interest in the GD3C after hearing the CRA.

Super reviews liked the GD3A as well and bought the GD3C and got disappointed.

6 Likes

The FR dies at 10KHz, throwing away half the signal. “Compression Friendly” would be another way to put it.

4 Likes

Yay, I am going out on short vacation trip today and guess what a beautiful surprise was waiting for me once I arrived home from work?

My wife!

But even better than that - my wife holding a package from Sweden in her hand baffling her eyes!

I could tell you already after 5minutes with Alter Riders that those vacation would be even nicer than planned :slight_smile:
Love the cable’s softness and hardware. Knowing its price I can’t understand those abomination of cables that sometimes are attached to IEMs and buds for 50+ $

9 Likes

Nice you got an Alter Rider 1 too! How is it? Mine will arrive very soon :raised_hands::raised_hands:

2 Likes

You need to be patient my friend, as now I am packing my shit up for travel, but from my brief session going here and there through my library I can already tell you that I am not disappointed - clear upgrade from LBBS both tuning and technicalities wise (sheer resolving power + representation of sound in more life-like way, e.g. percussion drums and hi-hats).
From what I understand though from different topics our libraries are not aligned very well and you are more of a classical/jazz type of guy? Amirite?

4 Likes

Yeah good memory! Jazz, classical, and also female vocals. No rush man, enjoy your holidays :slight_smile:

1 Like

My Saber was shipped today. Not sure how long it will take but I’m away next week on vacation.

2 Likes

Have a nice and safe trip! Congratz!

3 Likes

Sony Tournament

Disclaimer: They are all used units I bought myself, except the WF-1000XM3 and the XBA-N3AP which were new units I bought.

EX800ST (filterless) PEQ:
Low-shelf: 40hz, Q: 0.6, gain: 7db
Low-shelf: 80hz, Q: 0.6, gain: 5db
Low-shelf: 150hz, Q: 0.6, gain: 1db
Peak: 1800hz, Q: 2, gain: -1.5db
Peak: 4000hz, Q: 1, gain: 3db
Peak: 4500hz, Q: 1, gain: 5db
Peak: 5500hz, Q: 3, gain: -10db
High-shelf: 12 000hz, Q: 0.6, gain: 8db
Preamp: -13db

EX1000 PEQ:
Low-shelf: 50hz, Q:0.7, gain: 4.5db
Low-shelf: 100hz, Q: 0.7, gain: 6db
Peak: 290hz, Q: 1.04, gain: -2.1db
Peak: 2037hz, Q: 2,75, gain: -1.3db
Peak: 2826hz, Q: 5, gain: 2.4db
Peak: 3272hz, Q: 5, gain: 2.1db
Peak: 3632hz, Q:5, gain: 0.9db
Peak: 3706hz, Q:5, gain: 2.1db
Peak: 4576hz, Q: 4.98, gain: 1.8db
Peak: 5574hz, Q: 5, gain: -9.6db
Peak: 8000hz, Q: 5, gain: -2db
High-shelf: 10 000hz, Q: 0.7, gain: 8db
Preamp: -10db

Match 1: Sony MDR-EX800ST (filterless + PEQ) VS Sony MDR-EX1000 (PEQ)

Sony MDR-EX800ST (filterless + PEQ) Sony MDR-EX1000 (PEQ)
Sub-bass = =
Mid-bass = =
Lower-mids = =
Upper-mids = =
Treble = =
Upper-treble + -
Soundstage + -
Imaging = =
Separation = =
Macro-detail = =
Micro-detail = =
Timbre = =

Overall: It is an extremely even fight between these 2, but the EX800ST Is just a bit better with the upper-treble air and the soundstage and ends in its win. (Although I suspect that the filterless EX1000 is better than the EX800ST.)

Winner: Sony MDR-EX800ST (Filterless + PEQ)

Match 2: Sony XBA-N3AP VS Sony WF-1000XM3

Sony XBA-N3AP Sony WF-1000XM3
Sub-bass + -
Mid-bass + -
Lower-mids = =
Upper-mids + -
Treble = =
Upper-treble = =
Soundstage + -
Imaging + -
Separation + -
Macro-detail + -
Micro-detail = =
Timbre = =

Overall: The XM3 is essentially a less bassy N3 with worse technicalities. Not bad, but there is a gap between them.

Winner: Sony XBA-N3AP

Match 3: Sony XBA-A2 VS Sony XBA-A3

Sony XBA-A2 Sony XBA-A3
Sub-bass + -
Mid-bass - +
Lower-mids - +
Upper-mids - +
Treble - +
Upper-treble - +
Soundstage - +
Imaging - +
Separation - +
Macro-detail - +
Micro-detail - +
Timbre - +

Overall: Despite their names, the A3 is quite different from the A2, which is more of a basshead iem and less neutral compared to the A3. The A3 is pretty much stomping the A2 in every single factor, except sub-bass where I do enjoy the more rumble from the A2.

Winner: XBA-A3

Match 4 (quarter-finals): Sony XBA-Z5 VS Sony MDR-EX800ST (filterless + PEQ)

Sony XBA-Z5 Sony MDR-EX800ST (filterless + PEQ)
Sub-bass + -
Mid-bass - +
Lower-mids - +
Upper-mids - +
Treble = =
Upper-treble = =
Soundstage - +
Imaging - +
Separation - +
Macro-detail - +
Micro-detail = =
Timbre - +

Overall: Tonality, timbre and tech are pretty much all better on the 800ST. Although that’s also due to the difference in tonality, where the Z5 has a much more bloated bass that will mask a lot of the detail. The Z5 does have better sub-bass and stage depth though.

Winner: MDR-EX800ST

Match 5 (quarter-finals 2): Sony XBA-N3AP VS Sony XBA-A3

Sony XBA-N3AP Sony XBA-A3
Sub-bass + -
Mid-bass - +
Lower-mids = =
Upper-mids + -
Treble + -
Upper-treble = =
Soundstage - +
Imaging - +
Separation - +
Macro-detail = =
Micro-detail - +
Timbre + -

Overall: it’s a tough fight with pros/cons for both. But considering that the N3 pros are a bit bigger step over the pros for the A3, I have to give the win to the N3. Although the A3 is the more versatile one, with the much cleaner bass so it is an easier recommendation.

Winner: XBA-N3AP

Match 6 (FINALS): Sony MDR-EX800ST (filterless + PEQ) VS Sony MDR-N3AP

Sony MDR-EX800ST (Filterless + PEQ) Sony XBA-N3AP
Sub-bass = =
Mid-bass + -
Lower-mids - +
Upper-mids = =
Treble - +
Upper-treble = =
Soundstage + -
Imaging + -
Separation + -
Macro-detail = =
Micro-detail = =
Timbre = =

Overall: It’s a very close fight and they are more complementary sets rather than rivals, but the EX800ST is the better one overall to me and fits my library more, with cleaner bass and a much bigger stage. The N3 does have some more “magic” to it, where its tonal balance is excellent despite the slower/looser and more bass quantity along with their awesome BAs that make you question if there is actually one inside it considering its timbre/coherency abilities.

Champion: Sony MDR-EX800ST

Match 7 (Bonus round): Sony XBA-A3 VS Sony MDR-N3AP

Sony XBA-A3 Sony XBA-N3AP
Sub-bass - +
Mid-bass = =
Lower-mids = =
Upper-mids - +
Treble = =
Upper-treble - +
Soundstage = =
Imaging = =
Separation + -
Macro-detail + -
Micro-detail - +
Timbre - +

Overall: Since I have already mentioned me preferring the XBA-N3 (and ranking it higher) over the XBA-Z5, I had to include this comparison as these are the 2 best unmodded/stock Sony iems I got so far (and the A3 is an iem I bought a few weeks ago).

They both have a lot of things in common, particularly the mids/treble and timbre. Where they differ the most is the bass, the A3 has a much tighter and faster bass, making it the overall cleaner iem and the safer recommendation. But in the end, I do prefer the N3 slightly over it.

Winner: Sony XBA-N3AP

Sony XBA-A3 Rank: S
(also forgot to share the rank of the CCA CRA+, which is A-)

11 Likes

Interesting format for a shootout!

2 Likes

Quick and straight to the point. Since thats what most people prefer lol.

I want the M7/M9. :rofl:

4 Likes

I always forget that vacations with children are children’s vacations not mine… I need a break.

But from yesterday’s late night listenings:

• Rider’s sound is more defined than LBBS in sense that all notes have more clear “edges”, are less blurred in the soundstage
  • Riders sound is “big” in sense it feels large and open. It is hard to describe as I do not necessarily feel like soundstage is exceptionally big or outside of my head, but it is some strange bud thing that Rider had done better than anything I tried.
  • Rider has much more low end than LBBS making me eager to try it out with more modern music where it works great as well (e.g. Bon Iver - Self titled album, Fiona Apples latest albums)! Before I used to use LBBS mostly for fully acoustic albums like Eric Clapton - Unplugged, Bon Iver - For Emma, Leonard Cohen - Songs of…, Damien Rice etc. New Nick Mulvey album for example sounds amazing on Riders.
    The definition of the bass is not as good as MEST on the other hand here and there is nowhere near as much sub-bass, but it is to be expected
  • Talk me about single DD timbre and coherency. It is a perfect example comparing to set being on the other end of the spectrum MEST where all quasi sources are spread all around the place (e.g sometimes I feel like some parts of the same instrument are player by different drivers and therefore are coming from different place in stage. Not a big problem for me though)
  • Rider has better fit in sense that it is held by my ear better however the long term comfort is a bit worse due to the fact the shells are a little larger making my cartilage ache after 1h or so. It makes sleeping on the side a bit worse as well.

Generally amazing set, great to have around all the time. I am in love, big recommendation and thanks to Riku :heart:

9 Likes

I want the A3 now.

Whaddya think A3 >>> Falcon Pro??

oh yeah. its definitely a more versatile tuning, along with the Sony magic.

1 Like