🔷 RME ADI-2 DAC

Has anyone else experienced the optical input on the RME being a bit louder than the USB input? I have it hooked up to my PC via USB and optical and when I switch between them, I notice the the optical is a fair bit louder.

Did you make sure both devices were set to output at 100% volume? Windows would have two different volume settings for each audio device.

Yep they were both at 100% which is why i thought it was strange. Looked through the device properties for both USB and optical and nothing jumped out at me that would make it louder.

The plugging another optical source into it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t a hardware difference. Windows is just the OS and other the direct volume setting, it’s the actual MB hardware that can be interpreting the OS signal differently.

Yeah thats what i was going to do, Im assuming its just a difference in the output of the digital signal from the motherboard

I would imagine you can set individual offsets (or gain) per input to make them the same volume.

regarding the power plug… you have to twist it in place and it locks.
same thing happened to me and i got really disappointed, but i figured it out …
and i think it’s specified in the manual too.
had the same problem with sennheiser momentum wireless, you can also atach the cable if you wish to bypass the bluetooth or the battery runs out, again you have to twist it to lock it.

1 Like

Planning to get an HD800S or HP-3 (leaning towards the former) + amp/dac pairing.

The RME ADI-2 FS has definitely got me interested considering my other options, but could anyone comment on how the HD800S respond to the hardware EQ the ADI-2 FS provides?

Would also like to know if its any good with the HP-3 if I also decide to get it in the future (should have no issue powering the HP-3).

Hmmmm, from my experience I wouldn’t recommend the hd800s on the adi 2 dac fs, it would get pretty unpleasant at times and imo just isn’t a refined enough amp to get the most out of them imo

The hp3 would probably do fine as that’s not too picky for amps, that one I don’t see an issue with

1 Like

Does that mean the ADI-2 FS would be OK as a DAC, but you would recommend getting a separate amp such as a tube? (WA6?)

Yea I heard that the HP-3 isn’t picky at all, I can probably drive them through my iBasso DX150s.

The HD800 responds reasonably well to EQ in general. If you’re interested in EQ, I recommend experimenting with EQ APO first before getting the ADI 2.

1 Like

That would be preferable imo, the adi-2 is a solid dac with great features, but the 800s is a picky headphone and I would personally say that grabbing an amp like a wa6 (also browsing e-earphone you can also get a cayin ha-1a perhaps)

Yes that is true

Yes, it’s an easy and free way to try out eq that sounds pretty solid

I unfortunately probably won’t have the chance to try the HD800S with a ADI-2 FS at the shop, but will see if they can let me eq some of the tracks they have as samples.

Ah, the Cayin HA-1A, its quite a beauty…out of my current budget to combine with the ADI-2 but maybe in the future…
I do plan to go to e-earphone later this week to audition the HD800S; the ADI-2 FS is currently up against the Fostex HP-A4BL, Marantz HD-DAC1, TEAC UD-301 and/or 505.

So personally I think if you weren’t interested in the dsp/eq features, I personally think you could spend way less on a dac and pick up a higher preforming dac in the future when you have more budget, you could grab something like a topping e30 or an ifi zen dac, and then save up later on for something like a holo audio cyan dac which imo would outperform the adi-2 in many respects and should be available in 100v

This is a sweeter sounding amp, but personally didn’t impress me, curious to see your thoughts on it

This is a solid pick depending on the price, but imo it might be a bit expensive for what it is

So I liked the 301, but the 505 was pretty impressive to me, it was very solid sounding

Also Fujiya AVIC if you are near it was pretty impressive in what they had, I have bought from them before and it was pretty nice

2 Likes

The ADI-2’s versatility in the options it provides definitely intrigues me, I feel that I can use it in any future builds as well. The size is also perfect for my current desk, as the HD-DAC1 and UD-505 I mentioned would be cutting it close space-wise on my desk.

I would also be using this for gaming, so switching between EQ profiles would probably be useful.

Seems like e-earphone has the ifi Zen so will see if I can try it out with the HD800S. Maybe even with a HA-1A!

Currently, I can get each of the dac/amps for around the below (all new).
Fostex HP-A4BL: $400
Marantz HD-DAC1: $700
TEAC UD-301:$300
TEAC UD-505: $1200
ADI-2 FS: $1150

I am skeptical the HP-A4BL has enough power to drive the HD800S enough so might also test out the A8Mk2 ($1000).

1 Like

Since you’re in range price wise. I don’t know if this is an option in Japan easily… it it is on my short list if I was in your situation for an amp dac that might be end game defining for some on the dac alone.

Ah I just mentioned that above lol, it is indeed very solid for sure

1 Like

I guess I wasn’t paying attention. Thanks M0N!

I’m pretty sure they can be had with 100v so it should be somewhat attainable in japan I think