🔷 RØDE NTH-100 Studio Headphone

Have had mine slightly over a week now and like them quite a lot. For the most part. I am a fan of the sound of them. Only real complaint is I wear glasses and the pads get to be a bit much after about a hour. My initial opinion that they were lacking in treble was somewhat misguided. Not much of a believer in burn in, but do definitely believe you get used to the sound profile on most cans. Or at least get to the point that you recognize where they’re coming from. These are a touch dark, with pretty solid bass. Bad recordings sound bad on them. Other than the pad/glasses thing I really like the design. I would recommend them at the $150 price, not the $250 I’ve heard they normally are.

From Joshua Valour:

In the video, he mentions “veiled treble”. Do you all agree?

Personally i dont, they aren’t exactly treble forward but i wouldn’t call them veiled, i wonder what he used to power them, that could be a factor

2 Likes

Yes. See my EQ. My target is neutral.

Does anyone know what size are the pads? I’ve heard some complaints they’re too small

inside height is slightly over 2 inches slightly less than 6cm
inside width (widest point) is slightly over 1.5 inches or 4cm

anyone else try tubes with these?
certain songs seemed to like the tube flavor

Hmm yeah I consider anything under 6cm too small, I think average ear is slightly above 6cm, so dumb to even manufacture an over ear headphone with less than the average ear size, I know they’re not perfectly vertical but man… just add another 5mm there so it actually fits most people

Tried them on a hybrid, its fine, you dont gain a whole lot IMO, personally i like them better on a “warm” amp

digging the xDuoo MT602 with them over anything solid state, warming up my darkvoice to try a non hybrid tube

1 Like

Speaking of pads, I will seriously consider these headphones if Dekoni made some.

1 Like

Like @Naturallymorbid, I’ve tried mine on a hybrid - in my case Fosi Audio P1 tube pre-amp with Voskhod 6J1P-EV pentode tubes between my Topping E30 amd L30. Photos of these components are in the album.
While I have no tube amp, a man with a camera on his head reports that the NTH-100 does nothing special, as expected from a low impedance fairly sensitive headphone.

@Ohmboy I’ve added that video to the RØDE NTH-100 playlist, bringing the total up to 119 videos.

RTINGS has posted RØDE NTH-100 Headphones Review with their usual assessments and measurments. Spoiler: they scored low for wireless gaming and phone calls.
Results seems to be consistent with most folks’ observations despite a driver mismatch in the tested unit.

Yes, very foolish move from Rode.
I love the way these sound and would love to grab a pair, but they’re just too uncomfortable. The depth is okay, but the height is too cramped.

Anyone else had trouble with the Locking Mechanism breaking? My left side is cracked completely in two separate places and I haven’t touched them since day one.

Also, I skimmed the topic to see if anyone else had reported a problem so sincere apologies if I missed and posted a redundant question

Yes. It is a known issue and RØDE’s response has been underwhelming according to reports. From what I’ve read it is unclear how the breakage relates to use and environment versus just a materials and/or design problem.
I am reminded of the HIFIMAN HE400i issue in which the problem related to specific batches, though it is too early to tell if this is a similar case. My NTH-100 is still unbroken, as was (and maybe still is) my HE400i, though I do not wear it often and have not adjusted the headband since I first adjusted it.

It has been reported elsewhere, but not here until now.

In other NTH-100 news, there is now the headset version - the NTH-100M - and separate mic for the NTH-100 - NTH-Mic.

I don’t own these, but I was interested in them last year until repeated mentions about broken lock mechanisms started to appear in forums and Reddit. So, sadly, you’re not alone.

Definite design flaw or poor materials choice by Rode.

1 Like

Thank you both for your replies. I remember hearing something about them breaking but only caught a piece of the article and couldn’t find it again.

I’d be insterested to hear if anyone gets any kind of relief from Rode on this issue.