Rolling DACs? Really?

Yes, but tbh most people don’t have the systems with the resolving power to tell the difference. Like it’s gotta be pretty crazy good

To my understanding, r2r dacs cannot natively decode DSD, even those that claim to (like my holo), are probably using a form of conversion.

However, r2r dacs are more suited to pcm decoding, even compared to their delta sigma counterparts

Yes, I asked kitsune when I bought the spring 2 kte about dsd and it is not native in reality

Oh hey, I have the spring 1 (L3+), is it your main dac?

1 Like

Pretty much, I have been super happy with it and really loved the sound. I do use other dacs though, but not on the same level as the kte

honestly, I’ve been eyeing the dangerous convert 2, someone recommended it to me an age ago and I’ve been interested since.

It’s pretty nice for sure, really like their stuff

I actually have a dangerous liaison on an unrelated note

Another hot pro dac is the Crane Song Solaris

Yeah, forgot about that.

DSD sounds great in my opinion, I would suggest Vanessa Fernandez for trying it out. Biggest difference I get in quality is going from youtube to dedicated player (musicbee) that plays good flacs. I love music videos, lives on youtube, but the sound is terrible. I wish there was an (paid?) youtube serivce that could get you better audioquality.

(and sorry, first replied to wrong person D )

Just a heads up. SMSL D1 is up on massdrop for a pretty good price. $850

are you sure its a good price? :flushed:

lol. well… it’s apparently a good DAC. Zeos uses it with his 789 on his non-work desk. Hard to find under $1000.

It’s a pretty good dac but imo at that price the rme adi2 makes more sense in my mind. The d1 is a hair lengths better sounding, but with the adi2 dac you get a lot of features

2 Likes

what do you do to the A100 to mod it for use with headphones?

The emotiva basx a100? There are jumpers you can put in to give you the full speaker output into the headphone jack

that’s right…thanks for the reminder.

how neutral is the A100 headphone output?

It’s a bit warm and not as clean as the atom, but giving something like the t50’s more power seems to help it more. For most headphones you would be better off with a jds labs atom, and also you could run into noise floor, so I would only say the a100 is worthwhile if you want a speaker amp with a good headphone out or have a headphone that really craves power

Just got my Denafrips Ares 2 and loving it. I paid 877 after tax on Drop and it sounds better then my SMSL D1. But I wont be selling the D1 as it’s amazing dac for $850 off drop. My whole mindset was improved by getting R-2R dac. I eventually will get a higher end R-2R later in life. Loving that colored sound.

R2R ftw lol, really don’t want to go back if it’s for my personal enjoyment. I don’t use an r2r in the studio of course

Any options on the AUDIO-GD R2R 11?

Pretty nice dac in there, but the headphone amp is powerful but not the cleanest and has some compression issues