Roon-Runners Corner

It depends on your use case but I think you’ll be more than fine. I’m running Roon on a Synology NAS with a Celeron processor, 6GB RAM and spinning drives. It’s working as well as it was on my Mac Mini with a Core I5, 8GB RAM and an SSD. That said, I do no DSP, stream to a single endpoint at a time and I have a moderate library (40,000 tracks).

I think the Roon recommendations are to make sure you don’t get crap performance when you dabble with the more resource intensive features.

1 Like

Processor is fine especially if you clip the windows background crap and slim it. Memory is great with 12 gig and up. an SSD or better yet an M.2 drive for the Roon database and you’re covered.

1 Like

Yeap. Also on my Windos box I don’t have a sound card enabled, disabled all ports and then removed the Wi-Fi board board. Trying to have the least amount of stuff going on as possible.

1 Like

I run mine with 4 and don’t have an issue, you do have to ensure you run the server version.
The UI leaks memory horribly, and requires pretty constant restarting if you have limited memory.

2 Likes

For this “tryout” setup I am looking to just use the box I discussed that I already have to simulate what a NUC/Rock would do. I realize it is not ideal, AKA running from SSD vs M.2 NVMe, its not intended to be the permanent solution for a Roon core.

I’ll just running the core component (server) on it, and then running control from another host(s).

This is what the roon core service looks like on my win10 box, it’s been running since it last restarted for an update 25 days ago.

I’m also running an older processor than your proposing

Processor Intel(R) Core™ i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3100 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

1 Like

:scream:

Didn’t even realize there’s a specific Roon SERVER version. I’d been running the Roon Windows 64 Bit version configured as a Roon Core. So you think I can re-install the Roon Server version over it?

I can probably worst case scenario just delete the Windows Core, install the Server version and import the database. Things working fine as is, but I def will correct that the next time I have a few days off.

I had to reconfigure and reindex when I did that.
And probably for much the same reason you did, I just clicked on the link at the top of the page.
You should be able to restore a backup though.

Old news to you pros but I had a few minutes tonight and I setup a Roon Core (Roon server on winders) just for grins and giggles, plugged in an external drive that has about 207 albums as a test and Bam -It works streaming to another endpoint (windows PC with soekris dac1541 connected) I also plugged in my qobuz info and am streaming that to the windows endpoint - NICE, and I am watching my DAC change sample rates / matching the tracks - Pretty damn cool

Oh I accidently sent the output to my wifes Sonos Bean upstairs once too , HA!

One of my PIs showed up today but the other 2 and the HATs won’t be here until Wednesday so I might try setting the one I have up real quick and plug a DAC into it - I got a soekris dac1321 sitting idle and a vio V200 head-fi amp. Damnit though, it is a work night so may not get to that.

Needless to say I am excited that it all worked out so easily and am looking forward to testing more.

4 Likes

You are off to a good start! Welcome to the world of distributed core and endpoints. It really does make Roon feel magical.

And then you start thinking of each Roon component as another piece of audio gear to be optimized… bye bye $$$

So… you @Delta9K mentioned a soekris dac1321 sitting idle… if it needs a good home PM me. I might be in the market for one…

1 Like

As a test for potential use case I connected a ZenDac via USB to the pi (USB only) box took it all upstairs to the bedroom, and instant nightstand setup - (Wireless)Streamer → Zen Dac → D5000 Lawton. Pretty neat!

It was more the wireless capability / performance and ease setup I was working out.
I have a network jack in the bedroom but its on a opposite wall and behind a dresser, plus I have not toned it out - it my not be live to my switch and all I have is a bundle of cat 6 cables coming out of conduit in the mechanical closet, and none are labeled for the in wall stuff. I’m lazy and only patch in when I absolutely need. Also, not sure the wife would understand re-arranging everything just so I could get Ethernet to a music box… But it was nice to see how well and simple it can be. I am looking forward to the rest of my hardwares coming is and getting a pi setup with the 2ch setup.

2 Likes

Idle as not in current use - not that I don’t have a plan for it, sorry. But, if that changes I’ll check in with you first.

1 Like

I’ve put together a Roon network over the last month or so. I’ve got a NUC I bought on eBay for $200 as a Core. It’s shoved in a corner of a cabinet and I haven’t touched it since initial setup, ha.

For endpoints, I have a PI2AES on the way, and I’ve just set up listening station near my favorite spot on the couch. A Schiit Stack on an unused portion of shelf:

Fed by a Rpi via usb hiding behind pictures.

And my 2.0 DAC/preamp is a Matrix Audio Element i. Which is Roon Ready. Connecting it was literally two clicks.

7 Likes

I have to say, the setup was pretty straightforward (despite my best attempts to mess it up). The only thing that I could imagine intimidating people is setting up the bios in the NUC. The rest is just Windows based direction following. No prior experience needed. A fun project!!

3 Likes

That is Awesome !

2 Likes

Very curious to hear your impression of the PI2AES vs the basic RPi. Nice job hiding it behind the pictures! Lol

2 Likes

Good move.

That passive heatsink is great, unfortunately the Pi2AES hat won’t fit on top without taking a Dremel to the upper heatsink. The 40 pin connector is too wide. You’ll need to shave a couple of mil from each side.

You’ll also get a big improvement with a 5v LPS to power everything up.

1 Like

Which one are you using? I’ve been looking hard at the Allo Shanti. It seems to be a good price/performance sweet spot. But I’m hesitating to pull the trigger. Currently I’m using iFi iPower 5v on my RPi and I do hear a difference over stock/generic supply. It’s not linear, just a switcher implemented better, and it makes a difference.

I’ve got about a half dozen from basic eBay Chinese shipped stuff to professional shop power supplies to the new $300 ifi supplies. They all help and the more robust solutions do get better. But for Pi, I think an $100 eBay solution will be plenty good. With the Pi2AES you can power directly 5v and it will also power the Pi like shown here. Streamer/DDC Showdown: Pi2AES vs Sotm SMS200 Ultra Neo

1 Like

What is the consensus for some of these settings. Especially the volume control / volume limits. I have been running like this with the defaults. My gut says set it should be set to fixed. I’ll mess areound but was still curious to other input.

and in Ropieee

I’ll most likely disable the USB later but now while testing, it’s cool to be able to select that too and listen to .for differences.

EDIT: nvrmind I just scrolled backwards in the thread… looks like this has been asked/ or at least some examples given already.

1 Like