Rupert Neve RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier

For everyone using the bifrost > rnhp chain… Do you notice any lag or delay with this set up. This will be hooked up to my main computer and also do double duty for gaming. Gaming and any delay is a big no for me.

I’d be super curious to know how this could be tested. And if there are metrics out there for this. I game on my BF2 but haven’t used it with an rnhp.

For me I haven’t had any perceptually significant delays. This is with thx789, liquid platinum, CTH, and asgard2.

1 Like

Ok maybe i dont mean absolutely zero, scientist tested on a high speed cam. But i should not be hearing a disconnect from when i see something on screen shoot and when it pops in my ears. I havent seen this in a long time but i want to make sure.

Or imagine watching a youtube and the lip sync is just off, constantly taunting you.

My main setup is a Bifrost 2 and RNHP…they are a great pairing. I have had no delays to speak of, nor have I any complaints. I use that setup every night for gaming.

6 Likes

I’ve never noticed any problems like that with any wired connection. I think if your equipment is doing some audio processing then that might be possible. Other than that I think electricity is pretty fast

1 Like

Theyre different pieces but how does the erish and rnhp compare to each other?

Don’t own an rnhp.

Ooops sorry i thought you did. I just finished reading this monster thread over the past day or two so i may be confusing who does and doesnt own a unit.

A lot of this reminds me of experiences ive had in a high end guitar shop. The owner (Christian Mirabella) built archtop guitars in the lineage of dangelico, daquisto. Some of his guitars were $30k plus. But he also worked on anything as he worked in a guitar repair shop during the 80s when weird electrics ruled the world.
When Ken Parker sold his electric division and started his own jazz guitars he did so with a big focus on science, carbon fiber, hi tech this and that. And they by all means were great. Clean, sharp, precise guitars good for solo play… But when it had to play with other guitars or was back to back at shows with a Mirabella the flaws started to show. The traditionaly built guitars melded better, were fuller, and had the x factor to what was being played. Both guitars were great but one stood out.
Im sure the Parkers are more exact, more stable, and purpose built, (ie: topping) but the Mirabella (rnhp) was just more “musical” and enjoyable and had that something that tickles the ears. All without sacrificing the modern feel or precise sound that the really old, oversized jazz boxes didnt have for the sake of being louder in the band.

I dont have an rnhp but ive been checking the used markets every few hours. Im hoping i get that xfactor with it over the set up i have now. Its been a decent amount of time since i just spend hours listening to music and i would like to dive back in.

2 Likes

Has this man lost his hearing?

Could be, he did not notice that 887 should be better.
Or he is more a ‘normal’ person that did not notice difference.

No, it is “No Theme Reviews” so al is as usual.
And he is only using one HP, not a bad one, but he should know it can vary from HP to HP, so I find this review useless. He should have researched first and then have used several HP’s.

It looks DIY to me…which is ok fine!!

:grinning:

Kettle, meet the pot.

1 Like

Anyone interested in a rnhp? I might be selling mine… I’ll have to give it a few days first, still trying to figure things out but probably will sell. PM me if interested. I’ll post it for sale once I make up my mind.

2 Likes

Use the buy/sell thread for that when you’re ready. But other than that, sorry it may not meet your needs. I personally think it makes the LCD X just sound about as perfect as can be.

2 Likes

Yeah when I list it for sale it’ll be in the buy/sell thread.
It’s a good amp, but looking at a few different ss options.

2 Likes

Late response but Jason calculated the latency as " 23ms for the big boys (Bifrost 2 on up) and 11ms for the card and Modi Multibit.". If you are a hyper competitive gamer who is young and has exceptional reflexs who starts every day by drinking a monster and plays call of duty till your eyes bleed, you may want a Modi MB or just stick to D/S. I dont think it will matter for most people.

3 Likes

Not amazing but not bad either. I wonder if different inputs do things different as well. I think ill have to see an evaluate in person. Screens are down to single digit ms responses so it may feel disconnected. Maybe i leave the current dac set up and switch inputs?

2 Likes

Possibly but different inputs wouldn’t make much difference I think, a lot of the latency comes from the filter used if I am not mistaken. You can actually get different latencies from d/s dacs by changing the filters. Generally speaking the slow roll off filters have lower latency.

I don’t personally think it makes much difference as windows already has quite a lot of latency inherent to it’s audio processing. We are already used to lag :slight_smile:

I guess the only scenario I would be concerned at all would be if you had a high refresh rate monitor with extremely low latency and were consistently running at high fps that would be the only scenario that perhaps it would make a difference and even then it is pretty unlikely. Would make for a interesting experiment though, I would be curious to know how it works in practice!

1 Like

Interesting. I was blissfully unaware of this. I now blame this for why I constantly suck at reacting to in game sounds

1 Like