Rupert Neve RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier

Cool.

Yeah Rhodey’s s good guy. I’m sure he’ll respond when he gets a chance.

1 Like

And his mods are one i can get behind. I do wonder how the gauge of the wrap will affect the sound if the lights arent blinding me and forcing me to concentrate on the sound :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

No weird caps in this one.

Though I do notice there is dynamat type material on the top of the case to make it sound less hollow when you knock on it. Schiit would do well to put some of that in the modius

3 Likes

Man! Now I have to check mine!

Alright. I’ve fixed it. All the problems, gone. This is now the most perfect tiny amp. image

14 Likes

Something to be said about “simple”…neat looking!

1 Like

Before it looked like Star Trek 1979, now it looks like Star Trek 2009!!

3 Likes

I wonder if you could put frosted acrylic behind the CF and have an RNHP-cutout illuminate…

#reasons to buy a laster cutter

6 Likes

I had big plans to do this on a custom guitar amp. I had the builder put in a channel. But he botched the light and his best try was electric tape that peeled off before i even received it.

Currently looking at the RNHP, Gilmore Lite Mk2 and Lake People G111.

Which of these AMPs is the best at putting-you-in-another-world and rendering holographic, 3D, “speaker like” imaging?

Also, are we giving RNHP points for offering balanced inputs?

1 Like

What headphones are you going to be using it with? Also what dac?

1 Like

Ok so my current DACs are:

E1DA 9038s Gen2
Audioquest Dragonfly Red

Current headphones:

Audioquest Nighthawk (Original 2015 Wood)

Current IEMs:

Obravo Cupid
Tri i3

I’m also looking at upgrading my DAC.
The resurgence of R2R DACs has my attention as I hate digititus/feeling of digitally processed sound. I’m looking at the Denafrips Ares 2 currently.

Hmmm. So for what you are after, I actually think the g111 might make a good bit of sense, it’s wider than the rnhp, also it has more speaker like impact and really gives the hawks very good drive. The rnhp will have a bit more organic sound, but the stage will be a bit smaller although you get more depth and better tightness in spatial recreation so imo it’s a worthy trade off, but you do loose some impact and control in the bass compared to the g111 imo, which makes me more inclined to recommend the lake people in this case with the hawks because I think the impact and control in the bass is pretty important for the hawks.

DAC wise, I think you would most likely enjoy the ares ii with the g111, it would be a warmer leaning neutral combo, that is pretty holographic and energetic.

I think the Gilmore might be a bit too intimate and technical for what you are after in this case, although it does give the hawks a nice treble bump

1 Like

Thanks for your insight, pretty spooky that you replied within minutes to my highly specific question that requires extensive listening on the separate amps in order to properly answer.

I very much favor depth and imaging intricacies over width and bass control, although those aspects are important too.

So the RNHP sounds more appealing from your description. On top of that, to hear that it’s extra organic and analog-sounding is (literally?) music to my ears.

Finally, the fact that it has XLR inputs mean It can usually extract more performance from the DAC as they usually perform better through balanced… and avoid ground loops!

1 Like

If that’s the case, the rnhp is very nice. The hawks def aren’t disappointing on the rnhp, I just think they could use a touch more bass impact and control for my personal preferences with what I like the hawks for

It is pretty dang organic, very accurate timbre, the midrange and treble is well voiced and is pretty natural imo. Very resolving without being harsh or unpleasant (unless it’s a really bad recording lol)

If you have a balanced dac yes, also it is handy for dealing with ground loops (although I wouldn’t say the ares ii is significantly better balanced vs it’s single ended, but running it balanced is preferred)

2 Likes

@M0N is our Gandalf. That’s what he does, and does a damn good job of it! :grinning:

8 Likes

Sounds sweet.

I’ve slowly been moving towards the world of IEMs though, so I’m not sure if I should be basing my purchase solely on the Hawks.

RNHP has very, very low output impedance if I read things correctly (0.08 was it?) and supposedly has a dead-silent noise floor with everything except maybe the most sensitive IEMs out there. This is another huge win for the RNHP.

So it is noisy with really sensitive iems from my experience, there will be some hiss with very picky iems like a hyla sarda or campfire andromeda. You can help this out with an ie match. I think it’s the noise floor and not hiss from impedance issues. But for most headphones and iems it’s dead silent. The low output impedance more really helps for reducing potential coloration with low impedance stuff I would assume

1 Like

So the trick is having members believe M0N is human, he’s in fact a very advanced AI, only a few selected of us know the truth,

4 Likes

I heard someone saying up above that a DC power purifier may help with the noise floor, among other things. Maybe it was you?

I’ll be adding such products for sure.

By the way, do you recommend the Denafrips Ares 2 or have you heard better DACS with better synergy with the RNHP out there today?