Rupert Neve RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier

Hi, everybody

After reading a lot on this forum, I would like to appeal to the knowledge of the wise and experienced here.

This winter I wanted to update my old desktop DAC (SMSL SD-793 II 2 DAC) to match my current headphones: Hifiman Sundara and Sennheiser HD 660S.

So I went the budget route SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk II + Topping L30 ( I live in Germany, and Schiit products are out of stock). Was perfect for me until I read that the Topping has quality issues, stopping the headphones from working. So I said ok, than maybe i should skip to a better amp: Rupert Neve RNHP. I also wanted to get the Lake People G111 to compare, but sadly they are out of stock until end of february (some problems with the faceplates).

I liked the Sanskrit before, with the L30, because there was detail and smoothness, and it tamed my speakers also (they sounded tingy), but now with the RNHP and my Sundaras, it definetly sounds more sibilant, and I think maybe tingy and underpowered. In comparison: I tried the C input directly from my PC and you can feel more body, but the detail is not so precise as with the Sanskrit.

The HD660 works very nice with RNHP, but it’s a different sound than the Sundara, so I hold it more for vocals and jazz.

So my options are:

1. replace the Sundara;
  2. return the Sanskrit and run the SD-793 passtrough with the RNHP until I have money for a better DAC (Bifrost 2 if its availabe in Europe or Ares II);
  3. keep the Sanskrit, return the RNHP, get Lake People G111 when available (or maybe a second-hand Violectric V200)

If there’s not to much trouble I would like to hear your thoughts on this and what I should do?
Thank you very much for your help.

P.S.: I guess I am bit annoying…
P.P.S.: I mostly listen to old rock, pop, classic and jazz and occasionally to electronic.

Welcome. I would do 2 if the BF2 was already something you were planning for anyway, especially if you can return the Sanskrit. You’ll be happier long-term.

2 or 3 may or may not allow you to avoid 1, but I would chase the better source equipment/synergies rather than try to appease one particular headphone. My philosophy.

Not sure if you’ve seen this thread comparing the RNHP with the G111, but you should give it a read if only just to get a bit of perspective between those two.

Thank you for taking the time to answer me. I was thinking the same, so I returned the Sanskrit Mk2.

I have read the thread, of course, I usually read before asking. But it’s still confusing and frustrating because I don’t know how long it will take until Schiit products will be available in Europe again (i think they are out of stock since June) and the RNHP is so picky on DACs.

More easy to find R2R DACs like Soekris or Denafrips don’t seem to make a good pairing with the RNHP, that’s why I was thinking of the G111, and also because of the power.

Of course I would prefer to test everything by myself, but let’s just say I can’t afford it for now, so I ask the ones who actually can :slight_smile: .

1 Like

When i was looking for a used BF2 unit in the US, i saw so many EU units pop up for sale. I would keep an eye out on the pre owned and b stock markets.

1 Like

Just picked up a RNHP and really like it so far but…that damn light! It is sitting on my desk where I work and that green light is sooooo bright. I am seriously considering returning it because I think it will drive me crazy. On the other hand I’m sitting here wondering how easy it would be to resolder the Led’s. Probably not worth it.

Anyone compared the RNHP to the THX 887?

1 Like

I know a few people have covered the a,b,c switches with Lego to avoid the light

1 Like

Lego is the solution! Lol. I am using a glass cleaning cloth to cover mine.
I have the thx789.

Yeah, I have a cloth thrown over it right now, haha…looks beautiful.

How does the 789 compare?

The thx789 sounds wider, less depht and brighter. The extra treble covers up some details in some bright or treble peaks headphones like the t1.2nd.

The RNHP sounds forward, more natural timber. Placement is better on the RNHP because of the forward and less wide. Is a more intimate and anaylital at the same time. No wonder why is a studio headphone.

The lego pieces are a few cents and you can pic the color. They fit perfectly on the buttons and let a dim glow out around it. You cant tell its not the intended button unless you pop out your magnifying glass. I wouldnt switch to the 789 over it unless you really enjoy that piece.

oh, what are these lego pieces? When it was mentioned I was thinking of a big lego block someone put over the buttons to block the light, but they actually fit on the buttons? Do you have a link?

Also, yeah I wasn’t thinking about the 789 but rather the 887. I really do love the sound out of the RNHP though. If I can solve this green light poking me in the eye I’ll be happy to stick with it.

The 1x1 Round Tile is the one that others here used.

2 Likes

I own both and the RNHP is hands down better with most headphones. To the point of the THX rarely comes out and I should sell it. Nice thing about the 887, the power supply works nicely with the RNHP.

Good to hear. I’m loving the RNHP so far and once I get some legos to cover the lights I think I’ll be all set for awhile.

Just bought some sleeping eyes to put those green lights to bed.

3 Likes

So, I impulse bought a used Liquid Platinum just over a week ago but I had been thinking about the RNHP too so I bought that also, to compare, and the RNHP arrived first. While listening to the RNHP this week waiting for the LP to arrive I was getting the feeling that I would be returning the LP when it got here. Today it arrived and I am a little surprised that it seems to be out shining the RNHP in a lot of ways.

I’m listening on a pair of LCD-X’s running an EQ from The Headphone Show.

The first thing that struck me is that the LP has a wider soundstage that also reaches vertically on some songs. Listening to Shawn Lee & Clutchy Hopkins - Name Game brought this out and when switching to the RNHP things tucked in a bit and the clarity of the instruments seemed to become more dull.

Then when listening to, Flying Lotus - Zodiac Shit, the crispy crackle at the beginning sounds much more rich on the LP and the voice that comes in around 10-20 seconds is more present in the mix and plays with the space more. Bass also is a bit more impactful and present.

Is this the LP being more V shaped and the RNHP being more neutral? I’m not sure but clarity in general is much richer on the LP. Listening to House of Woodcock from the Phantom Thread soundtrack is a more pleasant, detailed, and real experience.

Going to keep listening but maybe I won’t have to worry about that green light after all…

2 Likes

Which DAC are you using?

I have the RNHP with the modius. I am holding myself not to buy LP :rofl:. I want to sell my RNHP and maybe the A3 to fund the LP to run it with my T1.2nd. But, I think I NEED to try the RNHP with the Bifrost 2 before I let it go LOL.

I am using an audio interface as a DAC (Komplete audio 6) and I have the Tone Board. They sound almost identical to me. I had the Jotunheim 2 and Modius here for a bit but I returned them. The Modius made the highs really harsh on some songs and the Jot 2 provided a minimal improvement over my 6 year old (maybe older?) Fiio e09k, which really surprised me for the price.

As I listen to the RNHP and LP more the difference is becoming more stark. The bass is hitting like its more clearly part of the song now where before it didn’t feel like it was there (Waiting around to Die - The Be Good Tanyas). In general everything is sounding more natural and clear and articulate.

Not trying to sway you but, for me, the LP seems to be a pretty noticeable improvement. :wink:

Edit: I tested the Komplete audio 6 and Tone Board on the RNHP and they sounded the same. I’m testing them now on the LP and they sound very different. Tone Board on the RCA and KA6 on the balanced. Not sure why such a difference vs the RNHP.

1 Like

Not familiar with the KA6 but the rnhp can be a little picky. It may not be getting what it needs from the ka6 to perform its best.

The LP could be more forgiving and able to do more with less. Jazzing it up with a lil tube magic. Or its sound profile is just more favorable to your ear

After another day of listening to the two amps the RNHP for sure has a more neutral sound and the LP with stock tubes sounds more colored. RNHP if pretty flat sounding and I think that contributes to the less exciting sound. The LP is really filling out the low end and high more with the mids feeling recessed at times, but the LP still has a wider soundstage and a bit more detail.

I don’t think my dac is influencing the RNHP negativly…as far as I can tell.

I am coming to like each one of these amps for different reasons, which is not what I expected to happen. I never planned to have two headphone amps, haha. The more neutral sound of the RNHP makes for an easier listen that is probably more accurate to the source whereas the LP is more fun in some cases and then feels like its influencing the sound a bit too much in other cases.

2 Likes

Yes i believe the rnhp is a neutral if maybe the tiniest grain of luke warm. It is also known to be more intimate