Rupert Neve RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier

After having the RNHP here and experimenting with it for awhile I would say its a pretty flat headphone amp and, as a result, more lifeless than other things. It felt like a good tool for music production, maybe mastering to be more precise, but it fell flat for pure music enjoyment for me. I returned mine.

I have been enjoying the Liquid Platinum for music listening a lot more (with upgraded tubes).

*Please note I am not a hardcore audiophile like some here so take my experience with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

Do you run an EQ with your LCD-X? I love mine but sometimes I forget to turn my EQ setting on and it makes me question my entire music setup. Then I realize I need to flip the switch on APO and everything comes alive again!

I swear by The Headphone Shows EQ for it
APO LCD-X EQ
Band 1: G +3 F120 QLow Shelf
Band 2: G-2 F250 Q1.41
Band 3: G-2 F700 Q1.7
Band 4: G+3.5 F1700 Q1.5
Band 5: G+7 F3200 K Q1.5
Band 6: G+6 F4200 Q4
Band 7: G-3.5 F5500 Q3
Band 8: +5 F9500 Q6
Band 9: -1.5 F11600 Q3
Band 10: 0 F16500 Q0

Pre Amp -7

For the reasons u didn’t like the rnhp, the liquid plat was a great choice , it’s a very great amp. What dac have you used with each amp?

I recently got a RME ADI-2 used so I compared everything on that but have also listened to them on a Tone Board and a Komplete Audio 6 interface.

I’ve been reading about this cap upgrade some people have done on their Liquid Platinum. The results sound pretty interesting and seems easy to solder. I think I’m going to do it when the parts come in.

1 Like

Hi there, new member here. I’ve been thinking about getting the RNHP for my Avantone Planar, I would like to get better timbre and texture on this headphone. However the problem I have is that I’m already completely unable to tell the difference between my Fiio K5 pro and Fiio E5 portable amp in a blind test, despite the 10x power difference. Is it safe to say I wouldn’t probably hear a difference either with the RNHP or could I have a good surprise?

RNHP is on drop now for $449

4 Likes

Anyone try RNHP paried with Grace SDAC balanced? Wondering if it would be a nice combo. Could also try it with my Motu M2 as DAC.

I’m using mine with another interface, a Steinberg ur24c, and I am very happy with it. From time to time I consider getting a stand-alone DAC, but I always decide getting another box is not worth it. I say try it with what you have.

I received my Ifi iPower Elite yesterday and I’m extremely happy with the results.

Anyone familiar with me and my posts here know that I’m a fan of the Rupert Neve Designs RNHP. It has a certain sweetness to its sound. It’s very transparent, clear, and articulate, all while presenting things in a holographic nature.

It’s only real downfall is it’s lack of power. It really only works with efficient, low impedance headphones. Even then there are times when dynamic swings in recordings hinder the RNHP’s performance. It comes with an inexpensive switching power supply that’s works, but I’ve always felt the Neve was capable of more. Unfortunately only linear audiophile-type power supplies were available in the required 24v. Too expensive to venture into something that would likely alter the sound.

About a week ago I saw that ifi released a new power supply in their highly regarded line of power supplies. Already owning a few ifi power products (iPower-X, AC iPurifier) and being happy with the results I decided to try the iPower Elite since it had a 24v option.

I’m glad I did. Here’s my initial impressions I shared with a friend:

“Listening to the ifi Elite for maybe 15 minutes and it’s apparent that it is indeed an upgrade. There’s greater clarity, along with more easily discernible micro detail (fingers rubbing on strings, pounding of piano keys, etc.). Bass is more controlled without becoming “boomy”, and overall the sound seems more effortless and in control. When playing at louder than normal levels (85-90 dB) it seems to stay in control and sounds less “hashy” if that makes sense.
I’m happy with it.”

I think most of this is not only due to the extremely clean power it’s providing, but the reserve of power that the Neve supplied wall-wort lacked. The iPower Elite didn’t color the sound, it just made it more refined.

Well done ifi.

9 Likes

Literally I keep the THX 887 around just because it has the same power supply with nearly double the current and hear the same results (I’m sure the iFi sounds better as it must be cleaner).

2 Likes

It is a very pretty piece. It looks like a high end boutique guitar pedal. Its a bit out of the price range (and desktop safe size) for me but this and DagoRed’s post make me wonder what an inexpensive power upgrade can do here.

The rnhp is a nice piece but the power adapter is clearly the cheapest link, by far.

@ValentineLuke it seems like you may have experience with other ifi power products. Have you tried any more convenient ones with the rnhp or in general?

1 Like

The iPower Elite is their only 24v power supply (it’s their newest product in their power supply range). I hadn’t tried anything previously due to lack of availability. Linear power supplies typically cost more than the Elite, and can run up to well over $1k.

There is one that’s very interesting, but it’s pretty expensive. I believe @M0N Had one on order, though I’m not sure he’s had the opportunity to try it yet.

2 Likes

I have it in now, overkill for the rnhp, but one of the only psu I have tried with the rnhp so far that doesn’t throw off tonal balance so I’m pretty satisfied with it. Most other psu I ended up trying did improve technical performance but messed with tonal balance too much, this one doesn’t seem to be doing that which is cool

2 Likes

I just picked one of these up to power an SOtM SMS200 Ultra Neo Special Edition… I just typed that whole name out, it’s ridiculous.

2 Likes

The voltage remote sense it does from the barrel jack combined with the SMPS input and Linear output stage has it end up half a step from being a high-end bench PSU (like an R&S HMC 8041 or Gossen Metrawatt P500-series). Obviously in a package the ambitious audiophile can comfortably use :wink:

3 Likes

And to oogle at a little. The burnished copper or whatever that is looks very nice.

I was hoping the wall warts ifi had may help out and could be had sub $50. But oh well. Going too crazy over power stuff ill stay away from until i start making silly bank.

Not saying it doesnt do anything, just that i cant afford it at the moment.

2 Likes

If you want to try a cheaper but good option for the neve, this psu did improve bass impact and control (but didn’t allow it to really drive harder to drive headphones), had a bit blacker background and slightly more macrodynamics, and improved imaging, although it did loose a bit of timbre and slight organicness, lost some stage depth and placement accuracy, and also does bring it a bit more forward but if you wanted to try something different it’s nice

Pretty sure it was this one
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/GSM25B24-P1J/?qs=y5B8D4YB%2F3TUpnwKERx1eA%3D%3D

2 Likes

For ~$20 that looks worth a try. I dont think ill be power cord swapping like some swap pads but it seems like a good compare and contrast point and a decent backup if things do break.

1 Like

I joined the cult recently and got a BF2 + RNHP (so far very impressed) but I seem to have encountered this common problem with RNHP: there is a low whine / hum in the background. I’m starting to wonder whether it is my electricity, or whether the PSU or even the unit I got (second hand from Amazon) is defective. I swear I read somewhere in this forum that someone had the same problem with the RNHP before and it was solved by a little gadget but I just can’t find it now. So far I have seen people recommending a couple of things:

• The Palmer power conditioner for around £20
  • The Mouser PSU also for around £20
  • the iFi Elite power for £299
  • the iFi DC iPurifier 2 for £99
  • the SBooster LPS for around £300

Before I go on buying something as expensive as the RNHP itself (especially when I don’t know whether the unit is defective), I want to know which would be the relatively best option for me, as in, can solve the problem and not mess with the sound or even improve it. Thanks guys!

Edit: If my memory serves me right, someone in this forum got recommended the RNHP, went to the store to listen, was happy with it, then heard the whine when the unit was brought home, went back to the store again, no hum, and then realised it was dirty electricity which got solved by a small cheap gadget. I am almost sure @M0N was involved in the entire process, if anyone has any faint memory of this I would appreciate it if he/she/they can point me to the thread or section of the thread :joy: I really hope I am not imagining things here

2 Likes

Are you using balanced into the RNHP? If so, that might help with any potential ground loop issues.