Rupert Neve RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier

Interested to know if anyone has paired the RNHP up to an Orchard Audio DAC?
I’m looking to get their Pecanpi streamer to run into Input A on the Neve.

I am tempted to upgrade my current gear. I was planning on getting a RNHP and a Bitfrost 2 dac. I want to power my Elex and future Sundaras. I currently have a THX AAA 789 and a Emotiva Stealth DAC. I acquired the dac before really knowing anything about audio. I largely picked it up to ensure there were no grounding issues with my powered speakers for my computer desk. I am wondering if upgrading from my current set up is worth while?

As a side questions, I was wondering if I should pick up the Sys for the Bitfrost 2 or if I chould get a different pre-amp to control the dac?

As always your help is much appreciated.

Are you looking to use the rnhp and AAA 789 with the bifrost?

Well, that is going to depend if the rnhp sounds better than the AAA 789. If it does, I will probably use the the 789 in an alternate set up and keep the RNHP at my desk.

I hope that makes sense.

I am just wondering if I have the 789 is it worth replacing it with the RNHP if I get the Bitfrost. Also, is the Sys a good preamp or should I get another in order to adjust the dac as I will be using powered monitors at my desk sometimes.

Thanks for your input and help!

I use a sys myself, but in reverse (1 in and 2 out). It’s the only way I can currently listen to.records and play video games at the same time. I think the sys is great, especially for $50. There are going to be better preamps out there, but for your purposes I think it’s a good and cheap place to start. Of you dont like it it can easily be sold or kept around for a different use case. If you are looking to have a remote to control your preamp then you would have to look elsewhere. Perhaps a topping E30 dac used in preamp mode would be a decent option. I used one of those for a while and just decided I wanted to go balanced fory dac. Still have it laying around in a drawer as I think it might come in handy someday.

As for the rnhp I am not familiar with how it sounds/ performs, but do know it is loved by many here in the forum so hopefully some who has heard both that and 789 will chime in. But from what I have gathered lurking around here the rnhp would be an upgrade, but it also depends on what sound preferences you are looking for. Let people know what you like in the 789 and what you are looking to change/ improve upon by upgrading.

1 Like

Hmmm, that is an interesting question. Well, one of the main reasons I am considering buying the RNHP and Bitfrost 2 is from reading this thread. I hear that it supposed to be good pairing for my Elex. I also intend to get a Sundara on Black Friday. The other reason is I hear that THX gear is supposed to sterol. I was hoping that it would add a little more “musicalness” for lack of a better term. I was also hoping I could just get a little more detail with the highs with the Elex. Perhaps I am looking for something that is not attainable. I guess I may be asking for a reality check to prevent me from spending around 2K or audio gear if it won’t make a difference. I have pretty much settled on my limit price wise for headphones and am now looking to pair optimal dac and headphone amplifier before calling it done. Well, until I start thinking about speakers. But that will be for another time. lol
I hope I have answered your questions. I kind of went on a little ramble there at the end.
Once again thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

@M0N Would also appreciate your opinion if you could chime in. Your advise on the Elex was much appreciated.

With the headphones you plan for, it would be a very solid pairing imo, big upgrade form a 789.

I did see you mentioned a sundara and that’s not really the greatest on the neve, so you would be mainly focusing on the elex here. I think if you wanted to get something that could both power the elex and sundara I’d look into a lake people g111. Although it’s not as organic as the neve, it’s still more organic and still an upgrade from the 789, and would drive the sundara better without letting down on the elex (but I still think the elex is more impressive on the neve). I think dac wise you are set either way with a bf2, but if you did go g111 you could also consider a denafrips ares ii

When it comes to speakers you could grab a sys and use RCA out of the bf2 for that and connect the Neve via xlr no problem. If you did happen to run into ground loop issues, you could instead grab some xlr splitters and a palmer monicon if your speakers happen to take XLR in

4 Likes

What does the Ares II bring to the table compared to the BF2 as it cost over $1000 Canadian? Where can you pick up the Lake People g111 and the Aries II besides their website. I can’t find them on Amazon. Do you know of any Canadian vendors or is it only through US vendors. I’m willing to take the plunge if it is going to be a major upgrade. What about alternative Pre-amps?

I appreciate your input.

Generally I’d say they are on a similar level, but have some differences. Signature wise the bf2 is more neutral slightly warmer, where the ares ii is more full on warm and fun. I think they have about similar resolution slight edge to the bf2 perhaps, but the bf2 presents it more organically where the ares ii tends to sweeten things up a bit and sounds a bit less organic because of that. Spatially the bf2 is fairly neutral with good depth, width, and placement, where the ares ii is a bit more holographic and immersive but does sound a bit less natural in how it goes about it. Ares ii has more bite than the bf2 which is a bit more smoother. The bf2 does have better control and grip over things but the ares ii is a bit more energetic punch. Dynamically the bf2 just pulls off macro better, micro is a closer call. Timbre wise I think the bf2 does have that here

I think in the end the ares ii is just more colored, more energetic and lively, and more immediately immersive, but the bf2 is a bit more refined, nuanced, and can pull a bit more and present more convincingly. BF2 also has a wider range of things it works well with, for example I don’t think the ares ii pairs well with the neve, but the bf2 does pair well with both the neve and g111. The reason I mention the ares ii with the g111 is it will tilt that a bit more warm and fun rather than the more neutral lean it has with a bf2. If the bf2 is cheaper to you, then you might as well go with that

In terms of retailers at least in the US, power holdings is a great place to get lake people, for canada I’m not exactly sure how that would work. For the ares ii I think you can only get that from vinshine, and they ship internationally

I also like the mackie big knob for another balanced monitor controller.

2 Likes

I used the RHNP with a B2 and it was a decent pairing…Sold the B2 and selling my RHNP.

Alex

If you don’t mind me asking why did you sell the RNHP and B2? Just wondering if there were any short comings that you could explain or why you did not enjoy it?

I do enjoy good highs and mids. I enjoy listening to acoustic, soundtracks, orchestral, female vocals and classic rock. Do you think it would be more beneficial to take the BF2 over the Aries in this regard? Still trying to understand what warm and sweet means when it comes to audio.

Thanks for the help!

If that’s the case then yes imo

Warmth typically means a lift in the bass to me, can sometimes creep into the lower midrange and subbass as well but it depends. When I think of sweetness it’s a bit more fague, think of adding sweetener or sugar to the top of something, that bit of extra added flavor to music that makes things more pleasing but might also mask some of the lower level flavors underneath. If that makes sense

I havent sold the RHNP yet. The B2 is gone.

In my case I have had many amps (30 +) over the past few years and used a B1 then a B2 for those years and compared to several other dacs. The B2 was to me more “clear” and life like with good recordings. Then after I upgraded to some high end very resolving headphones I tried a different dac and was amazed at how much better this new dac was to my ears…even better clarity and realistic with my music.

Just selling the RHNP due to me still having 6 amps and the RHNP is ok, just not any better than what I have…so it will be sold to someone that wants a decent amp etc.

Alex

A higher end dac can really take things to the next level for sure

1 Like

Just trying to find the right dac. To compliment the Lake People G111 then. Based on my music choices and headphones do you think the Ares II is the better choice than the BF2? I am willing to pay a little more if it will give me that better experience.

Another quick question. I see that the G111 has two single ended outputs on the front. Is one balanced and the other unbalance. Sorry for my ignorance haven’t seen two identical outputs on an amplifier before.

I think it’s different not better, and if you can get the bf2 for less money, I’d go that way. I do think the ares ii would offer a bit more of a colored signature, but the bf2 + g111 has equally good synergy, just leans more neutral very slightly warmer

They are both just single ended 1/4 inch, you only use one

Do you think this coloration would be more beneficial to orchestral music or more beneficial to rock music. I must admit you have peaked my interest with the Ares. I’m sorry if I am taxing you with all of these questions. You have been so helpful!