S8F or EX800ST (Sony MDR-7550)

Saw many reports on 800st having bad isolation. I’m planning on using for travel on airplanes… would the isolation interfere with the overall music quality? I don’t mind turning up volume to the point where it drowns out the plane noise, but was wondering if the sound quality is impacted as a result of the ventilation ports & the bad isolation?

Have heard great things about S8F isolation, on the other hand.

I do think that on a plane the 800st isn’t ideal tbh. It would work but you might have to go louder and actually it might leak a bit

1 Like

Are you able compare FH7 and S8F in the same way you did with these?

Sure.

Bass FH7>S8F
Mids S8F>FH7
Treble S8F>FH7
Soundstage and imaging S8F>FH7
Detail S8F has more bass and midrange definition, FH7 has a bit more treble detail (surprisingly)

So I think the S8F sounds more refined overall, but the FH7 is the more punchy iem. I really like the bass on the fh7 but I like the rest sound of the S8F more

2 Likes

Just purchased S8F - SX/WL/CG Series… Excited!

–Any recommendations on faceplate type? How do we choose, I’m assuming we receive an email with the different options to choose from?

–Is the Fiio E07K Andes good enough source to drive these headphones from?

–How long after ordering did you received them?

Thanks all for helping me make a decision! @M0N @Corwin @Mufflertape

2 Likes

Great, hopefully you enjoy it :+1:

For now yes but I would consider upgrading in the future

got a recommendation in a similar price range?

how do DACs differ? Some are better about pushing details than others? guess I don’t fully understand…

Well by upgrading you are getting a better dac and amp, so that improves it overall. With a better amp you are able to better control the drivers in the iem yielding better sound and dynamics, and more detail retrieval and more refinement. The dac does the same thing to a bit lesser extent

So for EDM & Hip hop, would you recommend Fh7 or S8F?

Hmm, it depends on your priorities tbh. I think overall I would prefer the fearless but at times I would want the bass response of the fh7

I personally would have gone with a different iem that wasn’t mentioned for my tastes at least, but I didn’t recommend it because most end up preferring the s8f

Would using the EQ on a DAC/Amp, allow me to bump the bass up to the point where it’s similarly impressive to the FH7 to compensate?

Gotcha… I believe you mentioned that Basso IT04 would be your go-to IEM or was there a different one u were referring to?

Oh I guess I did mention it lol

Yes and no, but it would be nice to have. Something like a fiio q5s would offer that

Haha, all good…

So the Q5s would be better at bass boosting than the FiiO ek07 that i have? Also looks like it’s Bluetooth, so no need for a cord from iPhone to DAC?

It can be wireless or wired depending on what you choose, and it also has a built in eq mode so you could boost the bass to your liking if you felt it was lacking a bit. Another solid option if you want a warmer more relaxed sound is the ifi xdsd, but no eq but it does have a bass boost that’s pretty solid

Nice. Is the built in EQ used via an App on your phone? I noticed there wasn’t a screen on the Q5s.

With some searching, I found this (ES100):

Small and portable. EQ via App on your phone. Amp & DAC it looks like. Good ratings. Thoughts?

Yes you would access it through the fiio app, and it will then be stored on the q5s when the changes are made

Also instead of the es100 the btr5 sounds pretty awesome would be my pick, it has the eq stuff as well

1 Like

How would u compare Q5 and btr5?

The btr5 has better bang for the buck and a smaller form factor, while the q5s has a bit more features and better sound quality, but the btr5 does get close. Also with the btr5 you would want a balanced cable to take advantage of the balanced out on the fiio

1 Like

Balanced cable? Does the S8F not come with a balanced cable? Not sure what that is

It uses a two pin cable and comes with a single ended cable, you can get a nice 2 pin balanced cable like this for it. Of course there are other cables, this one is just an example (and one that I have tried and found to be solid for the price)

2 Likes