šŸ”· Schiit Asgard 3

Hey.

I really donā€™t care to advertise my threat, but I am having some issues with my kinda new A3, so Iā€™d love if you guys who know this amp can maybe check it out and see if you know anything. It is very much appreciated.

Iā€™ve not seen this posted elsewhere, so adding it here incase it helps someone.

I just pulled the Multibit DAC out of my A3 (really easy to do by the way, just need a screw driver and about 15 minutes of time), and now my A3 runs drastically cooler. With the DAC card in it was uncomfortably warm, making me want to turn it off every night. Now without the card it feels as warm as any other amp that is left on.

I put the Multibit DAC into my Jot2, and now that amp runs warm. Not as bad as the A3 did, but still much warmer than without it.

Not earth shattering, but nice to have some insight into where the heat was coming from.

ā†’ For what itā€™s worth, the multibit dac card sounds MUCH better in the Jot2 than the A3. The Jot2 balanced output is more neutral than the A3 (or the Jot2 SE output for that matter), making the overall mix with a warmer sounding dac much more enjoyable. ā†

8 Likes

The Tuba is my favorite tube amp under 1k. Very nice with great dynamics. Drives my ZMFs just fine.

2 Likes

Hello people, I have a JDS Labs EL 2 amp stacked on top a Schiit Modius.

I plan on owning the Emu Teaks and the Drop x Dan Clark Aeon Closed X.

Based on these cans, would it make sense to get the Asgard for the power upgrade?

However, if Iā€™m being honest right now, I also want the Asgard to experience an amp with ā€œcolored soundā€. For example, the 6XX in particular switching from the Magnius to the EL 2 felt like this scene from Daredevil:

Ever since that happened, I already want another amp before I get myself new headphones. While that might sound backwards to some, the only way to explain myself is that I have ADHD: this moment of stimulation caused neuron activation in both my impulse-buying & my instant gratification faculties.

And now I canā€™t decide if I want another amp to change my sound (again), or get new headphones and upgrade the quality.

Hello, got curious of your experience with the EL2. From your video I understand you think it has too much treble, is that it? Iā€™m sorry but I realty didnā€™t understand.

Anyway, most people tell the 6xx scale well with amps, so maybe you should consider looking at other options. I will let more experienced people talk, but the Asgard 3 should be more smooth on the treble from what other people talk. You could also consider some tube amps, as everybody says 6xx really like tubes.

No problem about being confused. Here is a link to my reaction swapping from the Magnius to the EL 2 amp, and what the Magnius did to the 6XX in my experience. I was literally quoting myself, because it still holds true.

But in summary, I made the switch because the Magnius made things sound harsher, which was bad for my treble sensitivity.

Ah, now that makes more sense, thanks for clarifying. I have a Element II and Iā€™m quite pleased with it, no idea of changing it anytime soon. In any case, for only power I think youā€™re ok with the EL II, but if you want to change flavor them yes, from what Iā€™ve heard of people here in the forum the Asgard should be different from it.

1 Like

Okay cool, Iā€™ll hold off getting the Asgard, and focus on saving up for headphones :joy:

Oh noā€¦

Ships in 1-3 days for the Silver AK4490 all-in-one

2 Likes

Well I suppose it comes down to if having a unit ship in 1-3 days vs 6-8 weeks is worth another $100. Also, I suppose if you were looking for an all in one too.

A3 w4490

Loved my A3, it was a game changer for me at the time. Not sure it can be beat to this day for the money.

2 Likes

If someone was just getting started in the hobby and was only going to spend like $100 on some entry-level DAC anyway, I feel like an all-on-one Asgard would be a great recommendation, maybe.

I had a coworker who was talking about spending $550 on the new Airpods Max just to use at his desk, and Iā€™ve been mulling over what I would recommend him at the same price point. Some $200-ish headphone with an Asgard and an AK DAC chip is a pretty strong contender, I think.

2 Likes

It is, only problem is the DAC card a) uses obsolete gen 2 USB and b) has a lower output voltage so unless for aesthetic reasons money might be best spent on an Asgard 3 + whatever 99USD DAC, like the Modi 3+ which has Unison USB and other digital inputs

6 Likes

Yeah the akm dac should be +$50 at most. The multibit is another question but again no modern usb interface and no optical so? Seems like you are way better off not bothering.

OK I have a topping D30 I am using and it is fine. I had a modi 2 as well. I would like to get a replacement for the D30 that is appropriate for the A3. Single ended is fine. $150 - 300 at most.

What should be on the short list. The modious is there but I am not sure it is really that much better then the modi 3+. I mostly use USB so that might make a difference. Seems like maybe the Aune Magic Dac is sort of the top of this range.

Think that is a price range where you wonā€™t find much improvement for your money
I got an aune X8 and I donā€™t hear much of an improvement over my Zen DAC, so Iā€™ll sell the X8 and save for something like an ares
If I wonā€™t find much of an improvement form this kind of DAC Iā€™ll know my music taste and hearing doesnā€™t need better gear :joy:

I placed an order for Black Asgard 3 + Black Modius on the 28th of July, weā€™ll see how long their rolling backorder isā€¦

7 Likes

Is Asgard 3 strong enough for LCD-3?

I understand it is NOT strong enough for HE6, but Jot 2 / Lyr 3 are(yet still not ideally so).

It will be giving them over 1wpc at 110ohm w/101db sensitivity.
Should be plenty.

Oh right. I was looking at the specs for an older model, 93dB, I think it was.

My Black Asgard 3/Modius will be delivered on the 18th, ordered on the 7/28, so thatā€™s MUCH quicker than 6-8 weeks.

Not sure if I got lucky or not.

4 Likes