🔷 Schiit Asgard 3

This is the official thread for the Schiit Asgard 3

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Optional ES9028 DAC
  • Optional Multibit DAC
  • Topology: Fully discrete, current feedback with Continuity™ constant-transconductance output stage and stacked power supply rails

:red_circle: Schiit Link

[Reviews]

Z Reviews

Didn’t see any official thread for this so I figured I would make one.

Specs from Schiit:

$199 no card
$299 with 4490 module
$399 with multibit module

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-400KHz, -3dB

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 3.5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 2.5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 600mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 300mW RMS per channel

THD: Less than 0.002%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS, high gain mode (worst case)

IMD: Less than 0.002%, CCIF at 1V RMS, high gain mode (worst case)

SNR: More than 115db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS, in low gain mode

Crosstalk: Less than -87dB, 20Hz-20KHz

Output Impedance: Less than 0.2 ohms in high or low gain mode

Input Impedance: 22K ohms

Gain: High = 6 (15.6dB) or Low = 1 (0dB), via rear switch

Topology: Fully discrete, current feedback with Continuity™ constant-transconductance output stage and stacked power supply rails

Protection: Standard muting relay for delayed turn-on and fast turn-off

Power Supply: Internal 48VA power transformer with 4 separate power supply rails and over 20,000uf of filter capacitance

Power Consumption: 30W

Size: 9 x 6 x 2"

Weight: 5 lbs

The measurement graphs show a stupidly low noise floor, could be a great powerful amp for IEMs

1 Like

I purchased mine in black and will be looking for a black replacement knob, so I will update here if I find one that works!

I’ll be using it for HD580,hd650, and can throw my tin t2 on it to test the noise floor

1 Like

I’d be interested to see whether the measurements they provide actually are true (hasn’t been the case in the past acc. Ato ASR). My Asgard2 has some grounding issues when touching the volume knob, while it’s not bad when listening to it.

it’s too bad they didn’t provide a balanced output. the price with DAC puts it into devices with that function.

2 Likes

I’m passing through the area by the Schittr, this weekend. I may swing by and have a listen.

2 Likes

Which devices do you find with that kind of power and balanced output for $299?

I guess the emotiva basx a100 for 220 but it’s not balanced, but the effects of balanced are very minute. I wonder if the Asgard 3 will still suffer from compression like the 2

Yeah, but @Marzipan was arguing that there are other devices in the same price range of the unit with DAC that have balanced outputs. I know of devices that have balanced outputs, but I’m not aware of one with similar characteristics at the 299 price point.

1 Like

Ok, my bad, yeah I can’t think of an all in one with the power + balanced + dac for that price off the top of my head. But, that being said, you could get a separate dac and amp combo or an all in one that imo would probably have the edge in sound quality judging off of the asgard 2

I was thinking more with the multibit DAC…and getting into the price range.

From what I’ve heard the Asg3 is completely different. No longer class A, instead its AB, and a MUCH lower noise floor. Mine should be here next week so I can comment on the sound quality and the like after a day or two with it. So far the reviews are good, not quite as transparent as the 789 but way ahead of the modi 3. Should be a good amp for the retail price of 199, not sure about adding cards in as I got mine without to use a Sorkris 1321 with it. Gonna wait for their new cards to come out next year to try it with.

1 Like

Then that sounds like a good barging. I will have to wait to hear it my self, but if it doesn’t have that issue I would have no problem recommending it. The compression issue has always drove me away from schiit or audio gd products

Are you saying there are a bunch of multibit DAC/amp combos balanced that can provide 5W at 16 ohms for $399? I cannot think of a single one, the closest I can think is the R2R-11, but it’s single ended and not as powerful.

So far (all of 24 hours) I’ve really been enjoying my Asgard 3 (in black). It’s a nice upgrade from the Magni 3.

My setup:

Source: Tidal
DAC: Modi 3
AMP: Asgard 3
Headphone: Neumann NDH20

Honestly I’m really considering bringing the black asgard home and ordering the AK4990 for it. I may pickup a silver asgard with no card for work. I like using the Modi with it and that also gives me the option to add a loki in the future.

1 Like

perhaps you should wait for the new Monolith THX AAA 887 amp? :wink:

But 300 for a whole amp and dac setup vs 400 for the amp alone is more money. It depends tbh

true…but for $100 more you get endgame amp :wink:

very cool how positive AVS review of the 887 is.

Also true, but it might not be endgame for some if you don’t like purely transparent and more aggressive. Pretty much something someone who enjoys tubes might not agree with

true…but we’re not talking tubes right now. :wink:

I’m looking forward to seeing a ASV review of the Asgard 3. AVS seems to have a hate on for Schiit as I don’t think I’ve seen a single ‘nice’ thing said about them by them, LoL!