Schiit Audio Mjolnir 3

https://www.schiit.com/products/mjolnir-3

It has been a while since Schiit Audio released/sold any iteration of the Mjolnir, and the specs they are listing are impressive. As a Burson Soloist 3XP owner I am interested in seeing reviews comparing the Mjolnir 3 to the competition. If I lived on the west coast I would definitely go demo that unit with my Arya SE and SN v1. Anyone else curious about this product?

2 Likes

Pretty interested myself. I really hope it’s like the Asgard but much better, prefer if it’s not like the Jot lol. Will probably order one eventually to see how it is

1 Like

Eagerly awaiting your opinion/thoughts on this Amp.

1 Like

Don’t know how long it will be until I grab one, have to recover from some other recent audio purchases first lol. Will be curious what people end up feeling about it as well. Already know someone who ordered one on Sonus so will have to check with them

Edit: they already got it in lol
https://forum.sonusapparatus.com/t/schiit-headphone-amp-thread-asgard-jotunheim-lyr-magni-mjolnir/503/24

1 Like

The Mjolnir 3 makes me wonder if Schiit Audio will ever have a regular production model of a mid to high end headphone amplifier in their product stack again. Limited run units are nice and all, but by the time you can make an educated decision they are most likely gone. Their top end headphone amplifier is technically the Ragnarok.

2 Likes

Oh shit it’s limited? I’ll grab one while I still can lol. Will update here how it is when I get some time with it. A few users on sonus have gotten them in now and it seems pretty positive overall, have to try one before I miss out (like I did with their high end otl lol)

Which is weird since really more than a strict headphone amp, to me it’s really more designed as a do it all box for everything, and while that’s handy, I personally always felt it’s value was a bit questionable because of that unless you’re going to use it for both headphone and speakers equally

1 Like

I don’t disagree, but since they don’t have a higher end stand alone headphone amplifier on the regular the Ragnarok has become said higher end headphone amplifier. All their higher end headphone amplifiers of recent years have been limited runs. Hopefully this changes, but I understand that profit margins play a big part in this decision.

1 Like

Two units listed under B-Stock right now!

I ordered the Mjolnir 3. I can’t wait to get it and hear how it sounds. I never had any Schiit product.

1 Like

Congrats! Welcome to the Schiit Audio community. I prefer the term Schiit Head, but to each their own. :wink:

Quite a few of us have noticed improvement after putting a few dozen hours of listening on the amp (burn in period). It also has a warmup period until the temperature stabilizes, after which it will tend to sound better than running cold (I guess I should say in my opinion).

The amp does get quite hot, so give it plenty of room to breathe.

This is what I ended up doing, but it is not necessary.

I have the R26 Gustard DAC and the ifi Pro iCAN amp. The pro runs hot hot and I also have a fan on it like you. I wonder how different the Mjolnir 3 will sound?

1 Like

The only price equivalent (or higher) amp that I can compare it to would be the Burson Soloist 3xp/w supercharger (both paired with the Bifrost 2/64). The Soloist has a noticeable noise floor if you go above low gain, while the Mjolnir 3 is dead silent in high gain and cranked up to max. Detail is crisper on the Mjolnir 3 wile still retaining a well controlled yet impactful low end (it even filled out the low end on my Arya Stealth). Highs are stretched out well above most listeners hearing (mine caps out just above 18khz) without being fatiguing (to my ears). Soundstage is deeper, and slightly wider, but I have been told that my DAC is holding it back in this respect (this will be addressed next year when I get a Yggdrasil MIB).

Even though the max power rating is 2 Watts it punches harder than you would expect. I have planars that are 10 ohms and 87db sensitivity (slightly less sensitive by some measurements), and it drives them flawlessly. The Mjolnir 3 also does an excellent job powering my ZMF Atrium Open as well.

Right now I am switching between the Mjolnir 3 and the Vali 3 (excellent performer for $150 before tube rolling of course). The Vali 3 is another amp that does wonders with only 1.5 watts of power on tap.

Once you have your Mjolnir 3 in hand I am interested in how it stacks up to your Pro iCAN considering the $1k price difference.

Ya got a email from Schiit saying production is backed up and the week of September 23 it should ship… dammm… I am interested in the sound and between the two amps. I love the pro ican. With the R26 dac so much details and sound stage etc. Right now I only have two headphones. I have the Audio Technica ATH-AWAS and the Dan Clark Audio Noire. My next headphone is going to be the Mod House Tungsten double sided. I have always loved sound. I wanted to be a sound designer and took like 10 sound design classes in college but went with my main path and that was the 3D game artist path. I remember stripping all the sound but vocals out of the Star Wars Hoth battle. I then went around town getting sounds and then made my own and redid all the battle sounds. Everyone said it was better than the real movie version.

1 Like

Yeah, I had to wait a while after ordering mine too. I ordered on the 2nd run of the original two drops. The Tungsten DS will be one hell of a long wait to get your hands on a pair unfortunately.

Not sure how your Audio Technica ATH-AWAS will sound, but in the case of most Dan Clark Audio headphones they normally pair fairly well with Schiit Audio gear. Jason of Schiit Audio and Dan Clark Audio regularly do combo deals as a yearly sale (at least on a few occasions anyway, lol). If you notice, Schiit Audio uses a lot of Dan Clark Audio headphones in their Amp photos on the site. :wink:

Your background in music/audio must give you a different appreciation for music and gear. In my case I have just been a music lover ever since I first heard my mother’s records on a two channel setup in the living room (Pioneer receiver, and a technics turntable if I remember correctly, but I can’t recall the speakers). Lead Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Rolling Stones, and so on were regularly on rotation.

You ended up in an ever growing industry that gave you the means to buy audio gear to play with, and enjoy the music. So I would consider that a win win as an outsider. Most of us don’t end up in the profession we set out for when we are younger, yet if you are lucky the journey will lead you to interesting places.

I think both headphones will be fine. Ya the wait on the Tungsten… ya. I may have to get another headohone before. Withch one is the thing…hmmm

1 Like

In my case it will be this (considering the Tungsten wait times)

Did your unit finally arrive?

I canceled it. I hate waiting for something. I went with another headphone. I got the ATH-ADX 5000 headphone and love it.

1 Like