šŸ”· Schiit LYR 3

tube is new. seated right as well. didnt try or thinking about moving it. its on the same breaker as my computer. i can try that next

I think you are right on the power draw thing. turned voices down, has not happened since. the dynamic range is more even now. my house wiring is acient, cloth 2 line. is there a power conditioner or something i can use for the next couple years until i redo the electrical? would that even help?

Hmmmmm, Iā€™m not too sure to be honest, perhaps try other outlets first?(on a different breaker)

1 Like

Cloth wiring!!! Gosh man get that taken care of first!!!

if its hob and nail, that can be dangerous!!

Get someone who knows to inspect this ASAP IMO!!

1 Like

Ah is cloth wiring that dangerous? I know itā€™s not the safest thing, but I didnā€™t know it is something you want to fix immediately if found

Knob-and-Tube Wiring . Knob-and-tube (K&T) wiring was an early standardized method of electrical wiring in buildings, in common use in North America from about 1880 to the 1940s. The system is considered obsolete and can be a safety hazard, although some of the fear associated with it is undeserved.

If it was my house it would be replaced like yesterdayā€¦dont roll the dice on this one,a house fire is dangerousā€¦

Get a licensed electrican to take a lookā€¦DO IT !!

2 Likes

Ah my house had that initially, although itā€™s been replaced. Along with running separate 20a breakers for audio so for each setup I have a breaker dedicated to it alone (2 to my main listening room, and one for my living room). Glad I didnā€™t do it lol, looked like a pain to rewire stuff

That is very true lol

1 Like

Electricians are expensive and replacing Knob and Tube wiring is as well. If you donā€™t have any insulation near the knob and tube wiring, you are normally safe. I have most of my knob and tube replaced with romex, but there is still a small portion that lead to my back porch that needs to be replaced.

Yes they are, but loosing your life or your house in a fire is far worseā€¦

Knob and tube wiring isnā€™t that dangerous unless you have insulation next to it. If it was that dangerous, the VA wouldnā€™t have approved any home loans in the past 20 years, lol.

I donā€™t really have issues with it outside of the wiring is old and canā€™t handle high current very well anymore. Itā€™s really gone down hill the past couple years. I plan on replacing it eventually, but itā€™s also behind plaster and lapboard. My house is an antique lol.

Anyone here own/heard both the Asgard 3 and the Lyr3? I am looking for a companion amp for my Lyr3 (which I really like). I have some headphones that sound excellent on the Lyr, but a few that donā€™t. Iā€™ve never owned an Asgard (or anything that is Class A or with class A bias), but I know some people describe the sound as slightly warm compared to the other Schiit stuff. I also have an Atom Stack and it sounds good timbre wise so I am considering going with an EL Stack as a complement to the Lyr3. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

What cans do not sound good on the Lyr 3.

I have both.

Alex

1 Like

I have three pair that sound better on my Atom Amp/Dac combo: the HiFiman 400i, Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow RT Closed, and the Sennheiser HD 700. All three have a treble emphasis that I donā€™t like on the Lyr3. All of my other Sennheisers (I have the entire 600 series) sound good on the Lyr3. The 660s might sound better on the Atom as well, I would need to do a side by side comparison to be sure. At this point, I am starting to think that I just prefer warmer sounding headphones/gear in general. I am selling my Geshilli amp/dac combo because of itā€™s uber cleanliness/treble emphasis.

Do you feel that the Lyr3 and Asgard 3 sound different enough to justify owning both? Plus, which DAC/DACs are you using with the two amps. Thanks

What dac do u use ?

Two things ā€¦1. this is my favorite typo -> yes I know you ment DACā€¦and then 2. ( which actually has a compounding effect on the first) you replied to yourself.

Now related to thread anyone ever compare this to the Liquid Platinum ? Iā€™m partial to Schiit but curious about how these two contrast in valve-ish amps

Ha!

Yeah I was at the car dealership early on my phone and without my glasses!!!

Funny for sureā€¦

and replying to myself, well thats just not being familiar with the phone appā€¦i normally mis-type at home which i am at present!!! Ha!!

No experience with Liquid P. Had the original Lyr, Vahalla 2 and the Lyr 3ā€¦also a BH Crack with Speed and a BH Mailineā€¦and a few DIY tube amps, SET, Parafeed etcā€¦

The Crack is the favorite in the simple design type.
The ECP Audio T4 is the top parafeed, followed by the Tuba and Mainline.

Dac is just the Schiit Bifrost 2 after years with DS and an original Schiit B1. Stopped chasing dacs after comparing the B2 with dacs costing over $5000.

A.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried the Modi 3, Modius, and Modi Multi-Bit. I prefer the Modi MB w/the Lyr3. I have the Modi3 paired with a Magni 3+ in another room I sold the Modius this morning. I canā€™t bring myself to pay $699 for a BiFrost as of yet. Haha

1 Like

The fact you listened carefully and picked gear based on testing and preferences despite outside influence or potential influence on the price is awesome! Keep it up focusing on what is more important, what works best for you!

2 Likes

Thanks. Iā€™ve been trying equipment (and streaming services) constantly since this Covid stuff started, and I have sold off most of the stuff that I donā€™t like/need. Iā€™ve learned quite a bit over that time. Itā€™s been fun listening critically to a bunch of tubes as well.

2 Likes