🔷 Schiit Magni Heresy

cant wait to see what amps come out this year
how the other’s will respond

1 Like

I can confirm that this really is the case.

On my 1990s and 1770s I do prefer it on high gain. And it’s most noticeable on the 1990. I feel that I get more separation and that the voices gets smoother and separated.

Yet to tried a pair of headphones that sounds better on low.

1 Like
2 Likes

Is it true that the low gain and high gain will differ in sound quality from headphone to headphone as Z stated? If so, what could be causing this to happen?

Yes, it depends on both the headphones and the amp. Schiit gear tends to naturally preform better on higher gain with most of their products for example. Some headphones want more on tap from high gain, but other times the amp will either preform better on low gain or the headphones will be too sensitive to preform well on higher gains

Increases in power generally speaking affects sound quality. Gain, SE to Balanced, will all affect sound.

Matching power requirements to output is what’s important.

There are several ways to implement a gain switch in an amp.
They will all affect the output to some extent beyond just volume, the Schiit amps tend to run less feedback in High gain mode, which can lead to a more pleasing sound. But like everything else pleasing is in the eye (or ear in this case) of the beholder.

Even on the Jot where many of these things are more apparent, it’s not night and day, I used low gain on my Jot for the increases control over volume despite thinking it sounded marginally better on high gain.

2 Likes

first impressions are really great… compared to the xd05+ (og opamps) the heresy brings more sparkle to the highs… its really nice and kinda crazy it costs $99… I got into this hobby just at the right time I think :+1:

5 Likes