šŸ”· Schiit Magnius

Also, I could be way wrong on this, but I purchased a Hart cable for my K7XX and I am running them balanced through both the CTH and Magnius. I havenā€™t had any problems.

What kind of problems do people experience when running a SE headphone like the K7XX balanced?

Any ā€˜issuesā€™ are likely to be related to running single ended from an amp where the primary design focus was on the balanced output. The single ended out tends to be a bit of an afterthought with lower power and quality in many balanced amps.

Iā€™ve seen people claim that you will damage something. Anything to that?

Yes, but thatā€™s different from what Iā€™m referring to. Damage could be caused by trying to adapt a single ended cable to plug into a balanced output, as it will combine the (-) signal from each channel, in effect shorting them. This could cause damage to both amp and headphones. As long as youā€™re plugging a SE cable into a SE output, even if itā€™s an amp that also has a balanced output, youā€™re good.

Well, Hart cables may be working some kind of magic in there, but like I said, I have a cable adapting my K7XX to balanced, and the K7XX has just the 3 pin XLR going into the headphones. Not sure how they have that set up, but it is causing no problems.

I dont recommed connecting an SE headphone to a balanced amp.
It may be working at the moment but at some point you may damage both amp and headphones.
Check out this post

You can go from balanced HP to SE amp but not SE HP to XLR amp. No bueno

Thanks for the info, I will stop doing that.

How would Asgard 3 pair with D50S? Is it better to go with Modius?

So i noticed using a balanced input from a modius ,my magnius does not output to the single ended headphone jack when the preamp (powered monitors) are plugged in . Im still waiting for my periapt cables so i cant verify if this will be the case with a balanced connection but wanted to confirm if this is the case or not.

I recently bought the Tripowin TC-01 as an impulse buy (and a BLON BL03 Upgrade from what Iā€™ve read). I used these IEMs to play around with the gain settings for my Magnius. However, something pretty strange happened while I was listening to this song:

This song contains female vocals and a snare drum. When I play this song after putting my Magnius to high gain + Tripowin (Balanced) at zero volume, I can still hear the snare drum and the woman singing.

Pause the Music.

After playing with the gain, and going between my balanced IEMs and SE headphones, my Magnius makes some major hissing noises whenever I use high gain. At high gain + max volume, I can hear a cross between static electricity, and tesla coils conducting electricity. I donā€™t know if this is harmless, or a serious issue. If it turns out to be harmful in any way, Iā€™d gladly appreciate any tips to resolve this static noise issue.

Hi
I got a Schiit stack. Magnius and Modius. And have noticed a sound leak between the inputs on the Magnius. Driving it balanced from Modius, i kan hear the music playing when i switch over to the rca inputs on the switch on Magnius front. Especially on high gain. Is this how these amps behave?
Or is it it someting wrong with my unit??

Still waiting on my Magnius/Modius upgrade to ship. Schiit is saying the magnius is set to ship on 2nd and Mobius later today (though Iā€™m guessing they will ship both on 2nd). Itā€™s crazy I see so many good things about this stack yet almost nobody mentions them when reviewing a HP. Always Topping or Liquidā€¦doesnā€™t bother me too much as I know my stack will be a great start to balanced listening.

No point to this post, just excitement :+1::joy:

1 Like

This review lines up a lot with my impressions on the Magnius. It is boring, lifeless, and grainy sounding. I would much rather have an Asgard 3, THX AAA 789, or the new THX AAA One. Will give credit to Schiit it is nice to see high quality Nuetrik connectors and a nice quality ALPS potentiometer that will not become scratchy over time like the lower quality ones in Topping products and THX AAA 789.

Schiit threw a few bones to the measurement crowd.

2 Likes

Interesting. Boring and lifeless compared to A3 I definitely agree. Compared to 789, I disagree. Although the sharpness of 789 could be perceived as ā€œlifeā€, I suppose. I donā€™t remember graininess. Iā€™ll have to go back and listen more.

a nice quality ALPS potentiometer that will become scratchy over time like the lower quality ones in Topping products and THX AAA 789

Is this actually a ā€œfeatureā€ of their ALPS pot?

Typo. I meant it will not become scratchy over time.

1 Like

Itā€™s interesting because didnā€™t this video review specifically critique the volume pot ā€” which I had to go back and confirm that yes indeed was a big part of Schiitā€™s brag about this unit.

Forgot a ā€œnotā€ in there. I meant it will not become scratchy over time.

This video review specifically mentioned scratchiness on this unit already though I believe.
Unless Iā€™m losing me mind. Which I am.

1 Like