šŸ”· Schiit Magnius

Real Class A ? Seriously.

A Class A power amplifier is one in which the output current flows for the entire cycle of the AC input supply.

Its as simple as this.

The real or preceivd differences are usually tied to whether the amp is direct coupled or not and selected values of components that might influence the amp,

2 Likes

This is such a weird thing to say. The Asgard 2 is actual class A. So is the RebelAmp, the RNHP, and lots of other amps.

1 Like

RNHP is class A/B biased to class A

1 Like

Fair catch. The point remains itā€™s not actually hard to find class A amps if you look for them.

There certainly class (A)ssholes on this forum, thatā€™s fo sho

3 Likes

Amazing that the laws of physics can be miss-represented by so many what I call ā€œapplianceā€ operators.

Sad but trueā€¦quite evident hereā€¦

1 Like

Are you saying the people who are claiming their amps are class A are lying? Thatā€™s fascinating. What evidence do you have?

I thought @lost33 's point was class A or not it doesnā€™t matter as itā€™s only a design choice, and has no indication as to what an amp might sound like, but thatā€™s only my understanding

3 Likes

There is a technical definition of what a Class A amp isā€¦period. End of Story.

You experts can delve into claims etcā€¦

Class A is what it is.

Period.

2 Likes

Until you realize youā€™re wrong and the RNHP isnā€™t Class A (lol) or other amps that are advertised as Class A but arenā€™t, lol.

What I meant is, at this price point (300$ for the Asgard 3?), most, if not all, the ā€œClass Aā€ things arenā€™t actually Class A. Theyā€™re ā€œClass A/Bā€ or whatever, say theyā€™re ā€œClass Aā€ but donā€™t even get hot (like the 90$ SMSL sAp-1 ā€“ even if it plugs straight into the wall and someone told me 80% of whatā€™s inside is for power), etc. The Asgard 2 was Class A, but probably not worth it, because a lot of people are hyping the Asgard 3 as ā€œtoo good for the priceā€ ā€“ for the same price. Itā€™s like they started at 3: I never heard about the Asgard 2 here in more than one year.

RebelAmp is (apparently?) 100% Class A, but is 500$. GSX Mini is also Class A, but almost 2000$. Singxer SA-1 appears to be Class A but also 600$. Weā€™re on the Schiit Magnius thread. Magnius is 199$.

At Magniusā€™ price point, is some of the Auneā€™s offerings or the iFi ZEN CAN truly class A? Also Yulong Canary II I think

1 Like

Yā€™all might find more info about inexpensive Class A headphone amps here ā€“ or even revive the thread ā€“ if interested. :slight_smile:

Some amps are Class A ā€œall the timeā€ some are not.
The amps that are not all the time are still Class A amps in the area that they are operating in ā€œClass Aā€.

This may or may not be important to you or not.

Only your ears can decide this for you.

4 Likes

The RNHP is based on the TI TPA6120A2, an integrated class AB amp.

IIRC, like the RNHP, it is based on the same TPA6120A2 chip, so also Class AB.

1 Like
5 Likes

The RHNP is a class AB design but it is biased into Class A for all intensive purposes its a Class A op for most listeningā€¦just because a certain chip or transistor is used makes it automatically be a certain class of amp by definition.

Well, in case of an integrated Class AB amplifier chip, it is a little difficult to change much of its behaviour unless you have the manufacturer customize them for you.

If you had a look into the datasheet for the TPA6120A2, you would see it does not offer more customization options than your average 8-pin Dual-Op-Amp.

To be clear: It is possible to bias Class-AB into Class-A, looking at the PCB shots available on the internet, unless there is some circuitry on the back of the PCB, there is no biasing happening.

1 Like

Totally understand and agreeā€¦I sent a note to Neve and have asked them the question directly. Nothing like asking the ā€œsourceā€ vs us guessing out hereā€¦

If I get a response I will post.

I also will pop mine open and take a look at the bottom side of the pcbā€¦do you have a schematic of this amp?

https://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamp-bias.html

Tried sending u a messageā€¦

I received a nice response from Neve:

"The amplifiers are biased for operation between a 0V and 24V rail (The input is biased to +12V). That may be where the confusion lies? But the RNHP is a class AB design, and does not have a transistor biased output stage like many of our other designs. The headphone amp in the RNDAC has a mostly class A signal path, but the output amplifier is still a class AB design. "

FYI
Alex

1 Like