šŸ”· Schiit Magnius

I hope they come out with something like the Asgard 3, but with balanced output.

2 Likes

It occurred to me that @DagoRed has said the Modius is the only DAC heā€™s tried that makes the THX 887 sound good. @M0Nā€™s comment here would align well with that since the Magnius seems to be attempting to beat THX at its own game.

3 Likes

This is real truth right here. I suspect the two were co-developed more than we know.

2 Likes

Vastly different sounding to me in my setup, when I get some time today I do have the v280 on hand to double check

Shits hard lol, Iā€™m no English major, itā€™s really hard to explain what you hear esp with higher end gear. The gsx would be pretty different for sure

I mean tbh at this point I canā€™t really explain what I truly listen for, this is just something I pick up on in dedicated listening, I donā€™t really try and listen for specific things, I more listen normally and the differences just tend to come to me with time. In terms of spatial recreation I guess I would listen for how a room is portrayed in a recording and how accurate to that in real life it is, how things are laid out in front of me and the space between those sounds, and how they tend to interact with each other in an acoustic space and if that is true to how it would work irl. It also ties into lower level detail and speed and stuff as well. Itā€™s honestly really hard for me to try and describe how I listen for things, itā€™s more something that I have just developed over the years

2 Likes

Since the chips are similarā€¦ Iā€™m mostly curious if this Magnius can replace my RNHP. The answer is leaning heavily in the ā€œNoā€ category.

I say that because of:

So unless @M0N makes an explicit statement to my question lost much earlier in the thread. Can the Magnius replace the RNHP? I trust M0N in saying a definitive NO.

Yeah thatā€™s a definitive no lol, same with the L30 and A90 as well. Just because it uses the same chip does not even remotely mean it could sound similar. Could you prob use the same chip and make an amp that sounds like an rnhp? Most likely yeah, but itā€™s all dependent on implementation, same with dac chips and stuff

1 Like

Mine just shippedā€¦just have to see for myself how these stack up to the B2 with LYR3 and JOTā€¦etc

Next week for meā€¦

Alex

3 Likes

So spending some time with both I can confidently say they are pretty different amps lol. To keep things fair I used 3 dacs, the dac1421, bifrost 2, and modius. In mostly every situation it was pretty easy to tell them apart, although I will say that the closest thing might have been timbre but even then I still think the v280 is my preference in that regard. The v280 had way more to offer in control over the driver, much more distinct separation and speed, more impressive impact and a sense of largeness, a more spacious and accurate soundstage, and detail retrieval was clearly on a different level from the magnius. I will say though that with the bf2 and modius, it doesnā€™t really jive as well with the vio gear, the 1421 was a much more enjoyable and accurate experience with the vio. With the bf2 and modius it felt too smooth or dulled almost compared to what I normally expect out of the vio, itā€™s a pretty picky amp dac pairing wise. The 1421 also sounded pretty bad on the magnius lol, but as expected the bf2 and modius paired pretty well, but the magnius didnā€™t really showcase as much as the dac can do as did the vio (and the asgard 3).

7 Likes

Interesting. Iā€™m not in the camp of ā€œall ss amps sound the sameā€, and I can hear a difference between the magnius and gs-x mini, but I canā€™t seem to hear much in it with the v280.

Iā€™ve had to pack it all up for the next few weeks while we are preparing to sell our home and there may be strangers near my deskšŸ‘æ. But Iā€™ll spend some more time with it and see if I can make more of a distinction. I think Iā€™m more interested in how different it will sound against the BF2/mini. That contrast may give me a bit more to train my ear against.

Thanks for your thoughts on this @M0N, I appreciate you taking another listen.

1 Like

I mean if you arenā€™t getting the value you want out of the v280, I would suggest selling it, I personally wouldnā€™t keep something around if I didnā€™t get as much value from it compared to my other amps. But curious if spending more time with it changes anything for you

I like the v280 quite a lot, just not as much as the mini. I do plan to sell it. Maybe someone misses this next drop, and really wants one, Iā€™ll be there to help them out.

So, to you the GSX-Mini is so much better than the V280 that you are just going to get rid of it?
Are they different enough that they would complement each other as a 1-2 punch in the collection?

I find my LP and Violectric V220 to be so different that I think they cover the majority of what I want from an amp and so I will keep them both.

1 Like

I think it fits my gear and taste better, thatā€™s all it is.

1 Like

Its interesting we are comparing a $199 amp with a $1600 V280 (drop version = $1100 +/-) .

Very interesting indeed!

Question is what ā€œsoundā€ suits your ā€œearā€ā€¦and look at the cost differential!

:grinning:

To be fair, I only make that comparison because itā€™s what has landed on my desk over these wild past few months. I donā€™t think many people would cross shop these, like almost none.

3 Likes

So far, my impressions are still in line with how Iā€™m feeling, been using it exclusively for the past few days. Some at least semi interesting pairing notes below, but if I donā€™t mention a pairing it was prob meh/followed my general impressions above

With a 58x itā€™s actually pretty nice for something simple and good, overall enjoyable in that regard for something neutral and quality sounding

One pairing I really didnā€™t like was the adx5000, extremely lifeless and boring, pretty bad

Balanced 880 600 ohm was solid enough but again I think they took off more on the asgard 3 (although the magnius was more neutral here so potentially what I might lean towards for studio use over the asgard, but honestly I might prefer something like an el amp ii or lake people g103s instead for something more neutral and clean with the 880s in the same price range)

The Gjallarhorn was pretty pleasant because no noise or unusual coloration which I had issues with compared to some of my tube amps, sounded cleaner than the a3 but I think the a3 had better control it felt like and also emphasized the more unique presentation of the kennerton. But if you find the kennerton too colored the magnius will give it a more neutral tone

Grado ps2000e was a no go lol, not super pleasant and sounded wrong

Tried the mysphere 3.2, now that was weird tbh. It didnā€™t sound as bad as I was expecting, but it did make the myspheres sound real cheap and not worthwhile lol, like they lost most things that made them special but did retain a good sense of control and technicality level, but like lost refinement somehow? idk

Uh dac wise I found myself using a lampizator golden gate ii, nagra hd dac + mps, and the modius most of the time. Other dacs werenā€™t worthwhile to use or were poor matches. Although the allo revolution dac was an interesting choice and when I tuned the allo dac to give more bite in the treble while giving a bit more warmth and body it was pretty nice

6 Likes

How do you feel about the mysphere 3.2? Iā€™ve seen some mixed opinions on it. I wonder if it just happens to be very picky when it comes to its amp and source.

It is extremely picky electronics and fit wise, but Iā€™m really loving it tbh. So much so that I really want to buy the 3.1 for my tube amps as well lol. I much prefer it over the raal sr1a (but thatā€™s also a very good headphone as well). If you have the electronics for it, itā€™s probably the closest you can get to a nearfield setup on your head in terms of presentation, soundstage, and naturalness/speakerlikeness

Although initially itā€™s like wearing a vice grip on your head, needed to have them wear in

1 Like

94dB sinad because of a 2khz harmonic distortion vs 120dB sinad for XLR is not what I would call a bad 1/4 out by any meansā€¦ probably virtually indistinguishable by human ears (Edit: according to @M0N itā€™s not the case, oh well ā€“ 90dB sinad still doesnā€™t mean something sounds bad).

I heard this one sounds chocolatey. :stuck_out_tongue: sorry

The SP200ā€¦ because itā€™s ā€œfakeā€ balanced lol.

Oh and schiit, Iā€™m late to the party.

Just saying it didnā€™t sound as good as the balanced out, itā€™s not like there were obvious issues with it, just sounded a bit more dull and boring compared to the balanced out, no issues with noise or distortion. Sinad isnā€™t really going to reveal much about the sound of an amp tbh, I have things with low 80s sinad that sound excellent, really mostly anything above 70 is going to be just fine, you are taking an audible quality loss in other ways when you use the se out on the magnius

1 Like