Secondary Amps (solid state) options, opinions

I’m curious to know what you guys think some good secondary solid-state amp choices might be, once you have something that outputs relatively clean power.

So for example, if you have the THX 789 as a primary reference amp, the Monolith Liquid Spark could be a secondary amp for slightly different coloring.

Aside from the Liquid Spark, what are some other good secondary options? Mainly thinking of solid-states, but if you want to name some tubes, you can as well.

I think a liquid spark platinum could be a good choice. For tubes something that’s an in between a hybrid and a tube would be the massdrop eddie current

The cavalli stuff all has a distinct sound, though the Mass Drop versions are somewhat more neutral than most of the stuff he’s worked on.
I like the Schiit stuff, clearly Mon doesn’t :wink:
But honestly in the lower price ranges they still sound more similar than different.
You might want to pick up a hybrid tube amp like the TA10 or even try a full tube amp to see if you like what it does to the sound.
And I agree with the Eddie Current ZDT Jr for a tube amp, thoroughly enjoying the one I picked up on EBay.

So personally, I currently own the Dark Voice as a tube amp.
I have the THX SP200 and Monolith THX 887, which is a bit redundant.
I will likely return the SP200 to Amazon within the next few weeks and I was considering replacing it with the Liquid Spark or something similar…
I’ve tried a the Loxjie p20 and it’s hybrid for sure. I think upgrading the tubes on it causes it to lose too much of it’s “character” IMO. But I may consider picking one up again given how small and convenient it is. I was also considering the Schiit Magni 3+ as well… or even just getting a used Magni 3 given the price drops.
Eddie current and TA10 seem worth considering as well.

A burson amp that you can easily mess with opamps can be fun to have as well. The new shiit stuff is a fair bit better than their older stuff (the new stuff being their 3+ and heresy and the asgard 3)

The rupert neve rnhp is pretty crazy good too imo

This one?

It certainly looks interesting.

Ye, not alot of power but still somehow works with fairly demanding headphones. Also has like essentially 0 output impedance so it has a super low chance of coloring headphones. It’s like a more refined thx imo

In my case I enjoy my Liquid Spark, Vali 2 and LCX. All very different from my SP200.

1 Like

Opposite direction I was considering (Cleaner, as opposed to more colored), but def interesting. lol

Well something to consider is that the 887 doesn’t preform the best single ended, and this is a single ended champ imo, so it makes up for the lack

1 Like

Cleaner than THX? I don’t think I you can any more transparent, neutral, etc.?

I personally would trust the rnhp more than the thx stuff (as I already do in the studio). I think the rnhp gives a more accurate representation of what the music should sound like

I thought that was the whole reason for THX to exist? “To hear the music the way it was supposed to be heard”.

If it’s not doing that, then what’s the point? Besides beautiful measurements of course.

I think there are more accurate to the source headphone amps than thx, and thx is pretty good, but it’s not the top dog imo

Personally my solution seems to be to just “Buy ‘em all.” And use a different flavor with a different can whenever I sit down to listen to something. This way i can never really complain about anything nor actaully have to make up my mind about what is “best” it’s all “good enough” to me at this point :crazy_face:

As somebody who has not used THX but read so much stuff on them. I feel like its great for people that have headphones from 20$ to 1000$ anything over 1k it seems like people find better amps and have cleaner sources then THX

I do love variety and think everybody should have several headphones and several amps in their system.
However, I do draw the line at multiple DAC’s in one system!:smile:

1 Like

Yeah, pretty much agree. Unless you are a measurement hound you may want to aim higher with high end stuff

1 Like

Hmm, name some names and then sell/trade me something you are bored of from your stash at some point🤗