Seeking speaker recommendations for US 1,000

I have 2.1 Harmon Kardon Sticks powered speakers connected to my desktop. I use these to listen to music on YouTube (Yanni, Last of the Mohicans, Kenney Chesney, Aerosmith, Bryan Adams, ABBA, Jewel, Bee Gees, Bon Jovi…) and watch Netflix movies. They have good treble and bass and are easy to connect and move. I like them. Good value and performance for the money. Look good too. These have served me well.

I have Audioengine 5 powered speakers for my laptop. Bought them about 7 years back, one of the two speakers malfunctioned yesterday. I didn’t like them as much as my Harmon Kardon speakers because they didn’t have as much treble and bass. I am looking to replace these speakers.

My budget is US$ 1000 (I can go up to 1,250, have cash ready to buy). Thinking about Klipsch the Fives ($800) based on the reading I have done so far. I am hoping that these will go on before the end of 2020.

I have a Kenwood subwoofer sitting in my garage. This came with a home theater and I threw away the home theater system because I got tired of the clutter. I don’t watch as much teevee anymore because there is hardly anything good on it. I am hoping that I will be able to use this subwoofer ?? Costco has Klipsch speakers (the 100W subwoofer and R-41 speakers at a good price too).

Thank you. :seedling:

Have to be a powered set?

I have a set of Fives on Order, should have them this week, but I’m replacing a soundbar with them, not using them near field.
The nice thing is they have a crossover for the sub if you use one.
I’m not sure I’d want a big sub near field though.

The reason for preferring powered speakers is that I don’t know how to hook up active speakers. I don’t even know what to purchase to hook up active speakers to a computer.

I am not technically dumb (I am an engineer, lol) but I am not experienced in this specific skill either. I am willing to devote time to learn how to set up a speaker set that is not powered. Worst case, I will have to pay someone to help out.

Let me know how they perform after you install them.

The fives have a USB port, or you can use optical.
A powered speaker is just a speaker with a DAC and class D amp inside them

So, if I buy a separate DAC and Class D amplifier by itself, what’s the advantage?

Well, you can tell your friends you’re an audiphile for starters! lol

It allows you to choose a better amp and a better DAC, something that suits your needs or tastes more precisely. No other real tangible advantage IMO.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that I will be okay with the Klipsch Fives since I will be comparing them to my Harmon Kardon Sticks or Audioengine 5 speakers.

I do love the sound of Klipsch RP-600M Reference Bookshelf Speakers at $500, they sound better than the Klipsch the Fives (they don’t have the variety in connectivity like the Fives do). Can theKlipsch RP-600M be connected to laptop/desktop and television? If yes, what are the components necessary to accomplish this? A DAC and amp, what else will I need? Do you have any recommendations for a DAC and amp?

You’d need an amp/dac, something like the Denon PMA600-NE, though you probably don’t have to spend that much.
The RP-600M’s are larger than the fives.
You will want an amp good enough for the speaker though, and stereo amps don’t always have high pass filters for use when connecting a sub, which can make getting a seamless cross over challenging.

The Triangle Elara LN01A have really great reviews (zeos…) and look terrific with three colors to choose from. They are around $850 I believe.

I’ve heard a few triangles and the top end is really smooth and they’re not a bright speaker so probably a good idea to look into their lineup. Pretty decent bass as well. Nice full sound.

Passives are more fun. You get to change them out. Audio barbie.

1 Like

Elac Unifi UB5 ($300) + Parasound zamp v.3 ($300) + Schiit Sys ($60) + cables ($50) + whatever dac you want with the money left over ($250).

Had the UB5 + parasound zamp combo. Was real good for the money.

Or if you want to buy my Vienna Acoustics Haydns I’m selling those…

Other good options…

If you don’t care about butt jiggling bass, Martin Logan Motion 2i’s are phenomenal imo.

Kef / Klipsch bookshelves

There’s a fuckload of speaker gear / speakers. Find whatever is most convenient for you / highest rated tbqh. Also, speakers are easily demo’d (go to your local best buy / audio shop).

2 Likes

I like my Harmon Kardon sticks more than Audioengine because HK is more bright. Audioengine sound is boring, maybe its because of the absence of subwoofer.

I think I am going to stick to powered speakers with sub woofer (I already have a sub woofer). I don’t have the time or the desire to make things complex. I would rather spend more money for the convenience of manufacturer deal with complexity. Sure, it becomes less modular with the amp and DAC is built in but I am okay with it.

What do you think about floor standing powered speakers with a sub woofer instead of bookshelves with subwoofer?

Margin Logan Motion 2’s are discontinued?

1 Like