đŸ”¶ Sendy Peacock

Hello Friends, please find the following review for Peacock from Musicalhead in Germany. It has got the score 4.8 out of 5.

2 Likes

12 Likes

There were two issues with the one I was sent, mainly the sub-bass roll off was quite noticeable, and that’s because it has a relatively high driver resonance (compared to some other planars around this price), along with strong driver damping. You can tell because of the fairly wide Q for the resonance just above 100hz that causes more of a plateau than a peak when the seal is broken. In addition it was nearly impossible to get a seal with the coupling in normal conditions - even when I applied extra clamp pressure it still showed a strong sub-bass roll off. Here’s the result on the GRAS.

(Generally similar to what Crin found, depending on where you normalize it)

It’s interesting to see the other result there with better bass extension, so hopefully they made some improvements to the driver in the meantime, because at that price I think getting full bass extension from a planar is a requirement. I’ll ask if they made any changes. If they did, maybe they can send over an updated one and then I’ll do some additional measurements.

12 Likes

1 Like

I really hope this isnt a repeat of the aiva a lot fo the clones were having driver variations and QC issues notably the m570. I truely do hope chifi does well in the headphones space as they have with IEMS and I dont think going high end with seeming unit variations is the right direction

1 Like

Yeah I do worry that this entry is priced where it is with an attempt at capturing the ‘luxury materials’ crowd. There’s a lot of wood on this headphone, but by no means is it of the quality you might find with a ZMF headphone. It just feels like there’s some inspiration from that aesthetic here.

3 Likes

The (sub)bass certainly isn’t on HEDDphone level on my pair (which imo is however compensated for by a more weighty mid bass), but it doesn’t seem to be bad at all. Build quality seems pretty fine, too, but i of course don’t know what exactly your misgivings in this regard are, maybe i’m missing something.

These remind me of Meze Empyrean

Meze does the relaxed chill mode replay better though.
Lack of resolving particularly guitar but everything really.
No bass roll off but no slam when it is in the master or at least not like Meze HE6se,Susvara
Build is beautiful. Fit is great and comfy.

Hifiman and Sendy should make a deal

Sendy burns down all Hifiman’s storage of ghetto garbage cables and suspension systems and
and
Hifiman burns Sendy’s driver storage unit and fires the tuner.

I’d pay $2000 for this build with a HE6se driver

EDIT:

Thinking of swapping drivers

12 Likes

I find it particularly weird that many are comparing a $1800 headphone to headphones that are twice its price. Sure, I guess it makes sense to compare it to something with a similar sound signature (Meze Empyrean). But it just seems like insanity to compare it to a $6000 headphone (Susvara).

I think we need more of a comparison to other sub 2k headphones, this will ultimately determine whether they are worth the asking price or not.

@hawaiibadboy I like what you said regarding a HiFiMan + Sendy Audio (SIVGA). Makes sense.

1 Like

It does not graph like Meze but has a presentation that was first to pop in my head.
The build and cable are really nice.
Pictures DO NOT do this set justice and cable is better than Focal or hifiman.
I am not dry humping a graph and it does not really sound like the graph. No shout in vocals or anything. Rather polite and relaxed.
It is such a gorgeous set.

My impressions are always built around a classic rock/Hip Hop library as well and i trip heavy on high hat claps, cymbal crash and splash, fingers sliding on fret boards string pulls and plucks and minutia.
So grain of salt and library

3 Likes

Not sure if you had experience with any other SIVGA sets, but trust me when I say that their pictures are horrible. Straight up garbage, they should fire the photographer lol

The main problem is the color — it’s far from how the wood is in real life. For example, the Phoenix doesn’t look anything like the pale and ugly wood that they put up on their website and elsewhere.

3 Likes

These are indeed stunning in hand.

2 Likes

I have seldom seen that the ratings between German and international testers are so far apart.

Those who have these headphones in the German community rave about this can (including me).

So far every international reviewer has thrown this peacock in the bin.

So either there are different sound settings, or production fluctuations, or these headphones are specially designed for German hearing = (joke) :thinking:

6 Likes

I think its worth comparing it to other headphones that can be had for a similar price (Empyrean can be had around $2k used) since then it shows what you can get for that price. I know that it was only a limited run, but something like the LCD-R would definitely be an interesting comparison to see with this since even though its $2500, that’s also including the amp for it so with an amp they likely come to a similar price.

2 Likes

I’m not throwing it in the bin.
This is a branch of the hobby (Headphones) where Audeze gets a pass and EQ advice.
Others get
less

I love the feel, build,cable which is beyond the likes of Focal and Audeze however it is not out of the box matching my library which I can see in your pic is unlike mine.

2 Likes

This is the video introduction for Peacock. Z Reviews love this headphone very much. He will release the review very soon.

2 Likes

I love mine, too. Definitely flawed, definitely not great for every genre (orchestral music and metal come to mind) but when they work well it’s such an engrossing musical experience that i can’t get enough of them.

1 Like

Upset with Zeos. He just mentioned these make the GL2000 sound like Beats. After all that hype, he isn’t sticking by his original assessment of those. Maybe I am interpreting it wrong, but I sounds like another hype train all over again.

6 Likes

11 Likes

Haha, nope. Maybe that is the problem.
200w

1 Like