Sennheiser HD 560s vs. Hifiman Sundara

I posted this on reddit, but was curious about other peoples opinions and experiences here as well…

I want to preface this and make it clear that I am not a professional audiophile nor do I have a trained ear. These are my opinions and your experiences may vary. Also, I just got the HD 560s today and I have had the Sundara’s for about 2 weeks. I will update this if my thoughts change as I get more time with the 560s.

Background: I am (was) looking for a good headphone to use in my home office for a variety of tasks from video conference calls, gaming, and music. My goal was to find what I considered to be the best “value”, as in my dollar going as far as it can for what I’m paying for, not just the cheapest. So, I have no issue paying just about double the price for the Sundara’s over the HD 560s if I feel there is a clear and obvious benefit. As far as other headphones I have owned, I previously had the HD 58x as well. With the exception of vocals, I don’t think the 58x outperforms either of these in any area and my ears touched the drivers on the 58x which gave me a sore spot after a few hours.

Ok, for the review/comparison.

Fit/Comfort: Both headphones are surprisingly comfortable. I have an average/smaller size head and I find both to fit quite well. For me, my ears fit in the Sundara’s large earcups without touching the sides or the drivers. The Sundaras are heavier, but the top leather piece does a nice job distributing the weight. I also find that more air gets through the earcups on the Sundaras so they tend to run a bit cooler than the 560s. The 560s has fairly small ear cups and a strange bump at the back, but for me, it’s no issue as my ears don’t touch the bump at the back nor any part of the driver. Either one can be worn all day without any issue for me. If you have larger ears, I can see how both may have problems as the circular pads on the Sundara’s are not very tall and the 560s’s are surprisingly small, especially compared with the Sennheiser 6X0 line.

Cables: They both leave quite a bit to desire. The Sundara’s cable is impressively bad considering the price of the headphones. The 560s cable is decent but extremely long and terminates in a 6.35mm jack, which is annoying as the adapter is a pigtail. Both can be easily replaced though, so no huge issue.

Drivability: I am currently using a Schiit Fulla 3 to drive both. The Fulla 3 has enough power to drive both without issue, however, the Sundaras are more difficult to drive. The HD 560s requires about 1/8th-1/4 of a turn less on the amp’s knob to have a similar volume level as the Sundaras. When testing with an Apple USB-C DAC/AMP Dongle, the Sundaras really struggle but the HD 560s can be driven to reasonably loud levels by the dongle. If you don’t have an Amp, I wouldn’t recommend the Sundaras.

Sound: I’ll update this if my opinions change, but here we go.

TLDR: The Sundara’s, with a bit of EQ, are simply superior in my opinion in almost every aspect. For the Sub $250 price point, I think the HD 560s could be the best option on the market, they are impressively good for the $180 I paid for them, but the Sundara’s are without question a step up. The caveat here, for me, is EQ. Without EQ, the 560s’s tonality is better in my opinion. With the Sundara’s, without EQ, I found them a bit harsh and sibilant which would make listening very fatiguing, the HD 560s is not at all.

OK, Details:

Bass: The HD 560s bass is surprisingly good. Listening to EDM, Rap, and Metal the bass is nice. I pushed them with some bass heavy songs like “Panda” by Desiigner and was very impressed for an open back headphone. They can bump. The bass is clear and crisp but the sub-bass is present as well. It’s not going to make any bass heads get excited and your hair won’t stand up, but you won’t feel like you’re missing out, especially if you EQ in a bit of bass boost.

Compared with the Sundaras, The bass is not nearly as crisp and impactful. The Sundaras have much more slam, and when EQ’d up a bit, a nice amount of volume. The Bass on the Sundaras is truly impressive. If I was to point out what the biggest difference between the HD 560s and the Sundaras is, it would be the bass. The bass on the Sundaras gets your excited. It’s not overwhelming, it’s extremely accurate, and when the sub bass and lower bass is EQ’d up a bit, it has an incredible balance that makes you want to get up and dance or move to whatever song you’re listening to.

Mids: Both are excellent in the Mids. Vocals are clear in both male and female vocalists and it sounds accurate. As I’ll get to later on, the clear distinction between the two is the resolution and clarity the Sundaras have over the HD 560s. The HD 560s is not the HD 58x. the Vocals are not as pronounced and warm as on the 58x. If you strictly want to listen to vocal heavy music, the 58x or the 6xx is probably a better choice over either the Sundara or the 560s. Vocals on both in terms of tonality seems well balanced and accurate. Listening to things like Pentatonix, Rihanna, acoustic covers, Ed Sheeran, etc, all sound great. With heavily distorted guitars, both sound good as well (I have a very wide range of music preference). Lamb of God sounds great on both, but the added clarity and resolution of the sundaras really shines through in the heavily distorted and fast paced parts of heavy metal. In smoother guitar songs like Santana’s “Europa”, both sound excellent. The extreme detail of the Sundara almost makes me prefer the 560s for this song, as it feels a bit smoother. For Marc Anthony’s “Vivir Mi Vida”, I actually prefer the 560s as well, can’t exactly explain why, it just sounds more enjoyable on the 560s.

Highs: For me, the sundaras without EQ, are too harsh. It’s piercing and painful. I dropped the 8khz region down by 3 db and it’s perfect for me. When I turn the EQ off, it instantly turns back to beyond my personal threshold, but that small 3 db drop makes them perfect. The 560s’s highs are very well done. I didn’t find them to be overly boosted like many headphones, but they are more present than on the HD 58x was. The 560s feels like it has more clarity and detail, more “air” than the 58x. But, resolution and clarity are not as good as the Sundaras. I don’t think anyone will complain about the highs unless you love boosted highs.

Resolution and clarity: To me this is where the Sundaras really stand out. You can hear quite a bit more detail, even through my low end dac/amp (Schiit Fulla 3). The HD 560s is no slouch though. I don’t want anyone to think the HD 560s lacks resolution and clarity, I don’t think any headphone under $250 would offer more resolution and clarity than the 560s, but the Sundara’s have noticeably more resolution.

Soundstage: I’m not expert in this so I’ll sum it up with my wife’s impressions. I had her listen to both back to back and her impression was that the Sundaras felt like she was live at a concert and the HD 560s felt like she was wearing headphones. I’ll let more audiophile experts better describe the soundstage of the 560s.

Imaging/Gaming: Both work excellent for gaming. Imaging is accurate and for gaming, easy to tell directional cues from foot steps. The Sundaras do perform better, especially in complex music with instrument separation, but the 560s are impressive for the price.

Overall: I need more time with the 560s to make a final decision as to which I will keep, but as of right now, I do think the Sundaras are worth the extra money if you’re ok with EQ. If you don’t want to use any EQ and are a purist, or don’t want to NEED a headphone amp, the 560s is probably the winner. I played around with EQ on the 560s, but found them to be best with no EQ adjustments for most music.

I’ll update this as my opinion changes and feel free to ask any questions, just remember, I’m no expert and these are just my personal opinions.

Updates/Clarifications:

I should be clear, Both are excellent and most likely the best in their price categories. The 560s absolutely deserves the hype it’s received, for $200 or less (Easily had for $180) it’s incredible. Put in context, the Sundara launched at $500 and even at $350 is about double the price.

After gaming a bit more with the 560s and Sundara’s, I think I actually prefer the 560s for COD: Modern Warfare.

7 Likes

I don’t know if professional is the word either. But considering how much effort you just put into writing all of that you are definitely an audiophile!

I will say for now and in the future, the Fulla 3 is just going to be hard on staging with any headphone due to the DAC mostly.

Finally, I know for a fact you don’t have the headroom with the Fulla 3 to drive the Sundara properly which will result in some harshness. Just because you can hear something audibly does not mean it is properly amped, so if you see a deal on a Schiit Heresy, Magni 3+, or JDS Labs Atom you should be pretty skookum (you can still use the Fulla 3 as a DAC).

Great write up and I am really curious to the further responses as well!

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!

How does the Hel perform in comparison? I was thinking about selling the Fulla 3 and going with the Hel instead as I like that it’s a single unit and not multiple units. My home desk is not super large and the reason I went with the Fulla 3 in the first place was it’s a small form factor and a single cable.

Is the Hel a worthy upgrade?

1 Like

So this gets interesting… The Fulla 3, Hel, and Heresy are the same amp wise with 4, 6, and 8 op amps respectively. The Fulla 3 and Hel have the same DAC but difference is the HEL MUST have a seperate and specific USB power where as that is optional on the Fulla 3.

So the question to you is how cable management and being honest with yourself. The heresy/Magni 3+ is honestly all you need for most $500 and below headphones and will be there if you get a new DAC. The Hel will suit your needs as well but with the Sundara you still might prefer a bit more power. Regardless, you will still be plugging something into the wall with powering the Hel or Magni.

If looking at the Hel, also cross shop with the Mayflower Arc if you want a single piece amp/DAC/mic or ADC.

In terms of sound, Would the Hel be a step up over the Fulla 3, or is it just more power for the Sundaras?
Also in terms of sound, what is the difference between the Arc and the Hel? The “Used” Hel’s can be had for $169, although Schiit has high shipping prices and 15% restock fee on returns if I didn’t like it (Basically why I ended up keeping the Fulla 3, after paying shipping both ways and restock fee, to return it, would of cost me over half the cost of the unit itself).

In terms of my review, am I missing anything between the two? I keep seeing raving reviews of the 560s comparing it to the Focal Clear or others saying the detail is not much better than the Sundara’s, but I don’t see it. The Sundaras, to me, have much more detail and clarity. Am I doing something wrong with the 560s?

I doubt you are doing anything wrong with the 560s but they benefit from what I have read from a better amp as well. The 560s are just higher impedance where you will find the power out for the Fulla 3 for higher impedance headphones is… Well maybe it’s better to say is not.

Personally I use my Fulla for a mic in and back up dac. I think all out replacing it is silly as it works with my $4k or something amp/dac setup still. Can’t the Hel could do that.

Any thoughts on the Fiio K5 pro? I can get one for $129 right now and more powerful than the Hel.

Ordered the K5 Pro off of Amazon, I guess it will arrive today (Same day shipping). I’ll test both with this dac/amp and see how it changes my opinion on them, excited to try it out!

I really want to buy the Sundara but afraid of the build quality. I have read so many bad things about the bad build quality and driver issues. I wish they would have fixed this.

I have the K5 Pro. It’s awesome

If you order it on Amazon after October 1st, you have until January 31st to return them.

While not a lifetime policy, I would expect after 3 months of use any issues will come to light.

build quality has improved so if you buy the Sundara, get it new and you should be quite alright. Out of the non flagship headphone’s the Sundara has been reported to be pretty consistent as of late.

The product blurb on Amazon.ca says “With its all metal headband the SUNDARA is built to take the rigors of urban street life. The SUNDARA is as tough as it is beautiful.”

The second and third of five Canadian user reviews say:

The product blurb also says “Featuring Newly Developed Diaphragm that is 80% Thinner than the HE400 Series”.

Thinner diaphragms were the nemesis of the high-end Audeze models, not so long ago. These two user reviews suggest the same may be true in this case. Do diaphragm failures typically occur in the first three months? Seems reasonable. If so, one could take the apparently 10% gamble against getting a faulty driver(s) pair, return as many times as needed, then end up with that thin-driver goodness and fairly rugged shell construction to boot.

(It’s all theoretical to me. The Canadian Amazon price is currently $489 thanks to our weak dollar.)

Both reviews are from 2019, DagoRed was saying recently there have been many less issues. It’s common for companies to improve manufacturing processes and errors on products as time goes on if problems arise.

Not sure if that is true or not, but you have to take into account that they may have resolved the problems or reduced them in the last 12-18 months.

Yeah, to me it’s apparent they quite literally do not care. Unfortunately, it’s just an issue with their company as it’s not only the Sundara but multiple products in their line. Sundara has been out for 3 years and still gets the same issues. Thankfully, there is some warranties and other companies that are more understanding like APOS have started to carry them. The problem remains though that their headphones could kick the bucket just randomly. My Ananda kicked it when I set it on the table, picked it back up and the right speaker went out(company tried arguing with me about repair and accusing that I may have broken it which I filed a massive complaint about later with them as the person tried to refuse repair/return & refund), My last two sundaras busted as well as a 400i. They have massive QC issues and are just hit or miss. Headphones sound amazing and they would be much better off if they fixed all the problems. Would 100% trust Sennheiser or Audeze over hifiman any day of the week. Really wish there was a better company making bright sounding planars.

Good writeup though, was a nice read.

Just went through the Amazon global user reviews with 1, 2 and 3 stars. Still a handful report driver failures (don’t see any other QC issues) in 2020 dating from April. Pretty small sample size, for sure, and could be part of an upward trend.

Think Audeze has gotten a handle on doing reliable ultra-thin drivers by now, so could be just a matter of time before Hifiman does so as well.

Don’t be afraid of the quality of their headphones.
I had the HE4XX’s for several months and although I grew to hate the sound, the quality was perfect.
I bought the Sundara’s several months ago and I love the sound and the quality has been perfect after several months and Lots of use.
I just purchased and am waiting for a used set of Edition XX’s.

I mention all the above simply to point out the quality is just fine. Of course there are problems and defects with any company and HiFiman has certainly had more than their share in the past.

I personally have no fear in buying any of their products. I would really like to try the Arya’s but they are too pricey for me. :grin:

4 Likes

Agree. I can drive my HD 560s from my iPhone 12, but the clarity and resolution improve quite a bit when driven from the high-gain mode of my TempoTec Sonata HD Pro DAC-amp dongle.

what do you mean by high-gain mode? You use an adapter before plugging the headphone in?

The TempoTec Sonata HD Pro has an automatic gain sensor. It uses low gain for lower-impedance, high-sensitivity headphones and high gain for higher-impedance, low-sensitivity headphones.

Both my Sennheiser HD 560s and HiFiMan HE-400se International are cans that fall into a purgatory between those two poles, and the Sonata HD Pro senses them as only needing low gain when they really need high.

There’s an easy trick to circumvent that. Take a 3.5-male to 3.5-female adapter – $6 at Amazon – and plug it into the Sonata first. That “tricks” the unit into switching into high gain, regardless of what equipment is plugged into it. Then plug the USB-C cable into the other end of the Sonata and then plug the Sonata into your source device – phone or laptop. Finally, plug your headphone cable into the female end of the 3.5-3.5 adapter.

Bingo. A bit of a pain in the ass, but you’re always in high gain.

thanks for the explanation, i knew that was possible i just wanted to make sure. Also, would it work the same by just plugging the wire in without the headphone attached and then plugging the wire in the headphone? It should work if i understood the process correctly. This way you would not have to have another thing attached to the dongle, which can be annoying in certain situations.