Sennheiser HD58x Stainless Steel Mod (Easy and Reversible)

I’m going to share a simple and reversible mod for HD58x that should improve the sound quality with no damage to the headphones as far as I know. However, do it at your own risk.

What you need to do

simply cut a stainless steel mesh so it fits the back of the driver. As you can see, I didn’t even bother to make it a proper circle.

Now put it on the back of the driver. Since it’s steel, you don’t need glue to paste the mesh.
Note: the back foam should be removed. Don’t put the foam back because it ruins the sound.

What you should expect from this mod

• More soundstage (the biggest effect)
  • Better instrument separation
  • More airy sound
3 Likes

Disclaimer

• I don’t have any measurements rig so I don’t know if the effects are placebo or not.
  • I only have one pair of HD58x so switching quickly between modded and unmodded was impossible for me.
  • I didn’t do any blind test.
  • Once again, do it at your own risk

However

• I’ve used the modded headphones for three months. I decided to remove the stainless steel and use the headphones in stock form. With and without the foam, the sound was similar but with much less soundstage.
  • That’s what Sennheiser did with HD660s and HD700. Both have stainless steel on the back of the drivers, and bigger soundstage compared to HD600 and HD650. For people who think it’s impossible that a simple stainless steel changes the sound, remember that HD800 to HD800s mod is almost as easy and cheap as this mod.

HD660s and HD700 drivers.

Where to find stainless steel mesh

I used a cheap colander that I had at home. You can check if it is steel by a magnet (obviously) or if your smartphone has compass, use apps like Metal Detector to make sure it’s steel.
Stainless? Well, I guess every colander should be stainless because they’re going to touch water anyway.

Why the mesh I use has a hole

When I first put the mesh, I found the bass to be a little less than I’d like. The hole made the bass to my taste. Again, I don’t know if it’s placebo but diyaudioheaven said different holes change the sound signature while using foam on the back of the driver. I believe that’s the same for any material on the back of the driver.

3 Likes

Interesting.

1 Like

Stainless is a non ferrous metal sooooo how is it staying to the speaker?

1 Like

No idea what type his colander mesh is…

1 Like

The end result shouldn’t matter because if it’s magnetic, it stays.

That’s why I suggested using a magnet so you don’t have to blind buy things.

1 Like

There are thousands of types of steel, stainless steel and other alloys.

And there are types that can stick to magnets, there are also types that don’t.

Another aspect: Copper does not interact with magnets, unless you put some current through it. Eddy currents are very interesting Link. Or throwing a pipe through a magnet Link