🔶 Sennheiser HD600

Yup, that’s actually what we’ve been talking about.

Good that Josh did that video though, cleared up a fair bit of questions we’ve been having

1 Like

What’s the price difference?

Its really just preference I think… the 6xx will be a little more laid back with a little more bass… 600 has a more forward analytical presentation (comparatively)

Yeah but on a tube the bass on the 600 is going to much more apparent and pleasing. So there is that.

I think that depends on the amp and the tubes… I should’ve mentioned I’ve only compared these on ss so I’m not sure how they’ll perform against each other on the bh crack

Yes, that is true. On SS I would think the 6xx is a better all-rounder.

Okay gotcha… well personally I prefer the 650 because of the added ease of listening I found it had but as soren hinted at a tube will naturally warm things up a bit… they’re really close and I feel theres no wrong answer tbh

The HD600’s really do come alive with a tube amp. To me, the HD600 sounded dull on SS amps. Much like a few years ago when I owned the HD6XX’s.

In my case the tube amp/HD600 combo raised the detail noticeably. Mids and bass stood up loud and proud, IMO.

Before this amp I had used them with six SS/hybrid amps and they never impressed me once. To me, they were the definition of “meh”. Not horrible and not great. I used to enjoy going from the HD600 to HD58X’s.
However, on the tube amp the HD58X’s really showed their inferiority.

2 Likes

I agree with this, the only difference to me being I have an HD650. I sold the HD600 to make money for upgrades, but I generally liked it the most of any Sennheisers on tubes.

2 Likes

I will probably end up moving these on, but the difference is actually night and day with a tube amp.

This surprised me as so often you hear “This will make a huge difference to your blah, blah, blah”. And to me it never does, or certainly not in a good way.

I guess the exception proves the rule.

1 Like

I agree as I generally didnt care for HD600 or HD650 on solid state amps. The difference is much larger than people realize until they actually get to try a pair on a tube.

1 Like

That sounds like you were looking for the 650, that would have more of a “veil” and be warmer

The crack is pretty damn energetic if you have the speedball on there, but is pretty thick sounding

Ah, then it is a somewhat gooey amp (IDK why but I thought yours had the speedball)

I love the 600 on a tube amp. I much prefer it to the 6xx/650 and I really wasn’t a fan of the 660s at all

1 Like

Pretty much the same, the 600 is just awesome on a good tube amp

1 Like

I have the eggshell color and it’s just pretty dang good looking lol

I feel the same, I prefer the 6xx on a budget solid state actually, but otherwise the 600 is my preference. The 660s is a deviation from what senn has done before, and isn’t really the same tbh

I am not a big Senn fan and was very underwhelmed by the 600’s. But when I put them on my low impedance tube amp (MAD Ear+ HD II), they were transformed. I ran them through six SS and hybrid amps and got nothing. Then, on @Mon’s advice I plugged them into the tube and Wow!

3 Likes

How would you compare either the 600 or 6xx to the 58x?

My 600 is gathering dust in my office, where I run it off a Magni 2. I haven’t been there in 2 months! Now that I’ve been listening to the 650 nearly all day, every day, this would be a really good time to go back and fetch it and see how it compares. It will be like getting a new pair of cans!

2 Likes

If you ever get the chance, try both of those headphones on a OTL tube amp. You’re in for a treat!

4 Likes

im immediately clicking with the 600 and they’re much nicer than I remember… listening to Micheal kiwanuka’s home again the small soundstage with good imaging and instrument separation and very intimate vocals was a perfect fit for these cans… the timbre on the vocals and strings is spot on the my ears… the soundstage comes in a bit far left and right so it feels like youre somewhat surrounded and I feel like the sound signature helps create depth and separation between the vocals and drums… maybe its the production or the darkvoice but I really got sense I was in a small club right up close… but im romanticizing now so ill shut up.

3 Likes