šŸ”¶ Sennheiser HD660S2

Your on point regarding the proper comparison 660 OG vs S2, but the reviewers have compared these to the 6xx\650 and 600. They are unconvinced that the value is there vs those older Sennheiser models considering the cost is almost twice as much without introducing new build or materials. We will live in world where the Meze 109 Pro exist, along with Focal Elex, and Clears not to mention Hifiman Arya stealth so itā€™s understood. I have the Elegia, and have not listened to those other heedphones so I am unable to comment on Pros vs Cons. I am just absolutely shocked how good the 660 S2 areā€¦

1 Like

How worn are the pads on your 650ā€™s?

Perhaps two months - maybe 30 hours of use

1 Like

true enough. it makes sense to compare the new 660s2 against itā€™s brothers, but you still need to keep in mind that the are all different cans with different strengthā€™s and weaknesses. still, the only way to find out if the 660s2 are any good is to do so against the og. of course, if the reviewer has any bias for preferring the 600 or 6xx / 650 over the 660s, it will most likely skew their opinion for the 660s2 being the og didnā€™t hold their attention in the first place.

and on top of that, preferences are all unique to the listener and while there are benchmarks of similarity most people adhere to, weā€™ve got to listen to them ourselves to make the judgement that matters. I think the biggest issue is the higher price and due to that and initial thoughts, the 660s2 is not delivering.

and then there is my personal opinion / conspiracy theory. the parts to manufacture the original 660s have run out and they needed to do a redesign and the materials available / involved have a higher cost which in turn influences ours. orā€¦theyā€™re greedy sum-bitches and make it look like they did something but really didnā€™t so they can charge more and snigger as us poor sots. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I got the 660S2 6 days ago and compare it to my 660S

(Sry for mistakes, English is not my main language).

Overallā€¦ I have to say (different to all the other reviews) they sounds not better than the older 660S.

(Other 6xx generations I never heared)

Some facts:
I use the new Fiio K7 and every time the 4,4mm balanced input

The 660S2 is a little more comfortable. (Less pressure - my head is a Motorcycle ā€œLā€ size Head :sweat_smile:)

-The 660S2 really have some better deep sounds and bass
-Middle are same compared to the 660S
-Less stage than 660S
-And high soundsā€¦.
Well I think, the 660S are a little bit faded in that area.
The 660S2 not, but! the high sounds are more ā€œstressfulā€ in my opinion.
It is more analytically on the 660S2.

I donā€™t like that for my usecase.
(Gaming and casual songs)

Overallā€¦.
Yes! The S2 is a little bit better. But just ->a little bit<- (is is really hard to hear any difference)

If I look at the price in EU (350 Euro vs 600 Euroā€¦) the 660S2 are not worth it. :frowning:

And I think I will return it.

9 Likes

Great first post, bro! Thanks for sharing your impressions and your concrete opinion on the HD660S versus HD660S2. I think many people are looking for more opinions like yourā€™s that simply state why they believe the HD660S2s are or are not worth the price increase in a brief, succinct manner.

Welcome to HFG and I hope you stick around and contribute more posts like that in the future! :+1::sunglasses:

Edit: Tagging @Zaudi because I hit the reply to thread instead of reply to post button. Itā€™s a bad habit and Iā€™m really starting to annoy myself with itā€¦:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Thanks, I hope it is readable.
Because English is not my language and I donā€™t live in a country I have to use it often, I donā€™t know some words and so I try to rewrite/describe what I want to say :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Your English is just fine and I understood everything you were trying to say so no worries. :+1:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been following the reviews of the 660S2 with interest as a 660S user.

One thing I find odd is that many of the reviews dished the 660S out of hand bc of the MSRP of $500. They were expecting something much better than the $200 HD6xx or the circa $300 HD600 and 650. It was better, but not enough to justify the price. Except for Z and Josh Valour.

This time, the 660S2 seems to be getting better views despite costing even more than the 660S MSRP, and despite the fact that no oneā€™s claiming itā€™s significantly better than the others.

Well, at least for me itā€™s clear that I have no reason to get the 660S2. Moreover, now that the 660S has dropped to around $300, I hope people reassess it. At that price itā€™s a very good headphone and to my ears worth, say, the extra $100 compared to the 6xx.

1 Like

Great write up! Simple and straight to the point and sounded very honest! Welcome friend :call_me_hand: :wave:

1 Like

I finally got a chance to test them out in a quiet environment post-CanJam. I have no complaints. The bass is slightly deeper, maybe a little bit warmer than I previously noticed.

Heavy guitars and rock music sounds phenomenal through these. I will say that xBass and xSpace come in mighty handy when iā€™m switching between genres.

Overall, Iā€™m super pleased with the sound signature. Plus they look great! The matte block and copper accents are suuuper clean.

2 Likes

So couldā€™ve just saved yourā€¦

and get 660s (eq) or 6XX?

Iā€™ve been using the demo units from the iFi booth. So I kind of lucked out :sweat_smile:
This is just my opinion of the overall sound quality and build.

2 Likes

I have been considering doing a trade-up deal to get the new model. Thing is, I am very happy with the 660S I already have, so I am sort of on the fence.

2 Likes

Can someone rank the HD650, 660s, and 660s2 from brightest to darkest for me?

1 Like

Brightest: 660S
Neutral: 660S2
Darkest: Stock 650 - although CC-mod plus spider foam removal moves it closer to 660S2 but less refined (e.g. subbass roll off and upper mids being a bit too forward)

1 Like

I definitely disagree here, havenā€™t tried the 660s2 just yet but 650 has more treble than og 660s

650 in green, 660s in red. Regardless they are pretty close to one another

Bit of an update from me but I have this headphone coming in this week as well as I am quite curious about it, mainly to see if itā€™s really worth itā€™s price tagā€¦

5 Likes

Agree. The HD650s come off as warmer than the HD660s, but theyā€™re very similar as far as overall ā€œbrightnessā€ is concerned to my ears. Much like you, I havenā€™t heard the HD660S2s yet either so I canā€™t comment on how they stack up versus the others.

My 660s2 is coming in supposedly today so thatā€™ll be funā€¦ also have neumann ndh 30 coming in with that. Make it a Sennheiser day

3 Likes

Nice. Iā€™d definitely be interested to see where you find the HD660S2s fall in relation to the other two. Itā€™s interesting because so far folks seem to either pan them as a cash grab by Sennheiser thatā€™s doesnā€™t justify the price increase or they say that they are Sennheiser finally getting the best out of the HD600 series and that theyā€™ll eventually replace the HD600 as the favorite in the series. Either way, I hope you dig them! :metal::sunglasses:

1 Like