šŸ”¶ Sennheiser HD800S

Yes

The elex has a more balanced signature and better dynamics, I think the 800s has more detail, a wider stage, and a more treble heavy signature. Also a fair bit more amp picky

Power wise yes but I donā€™t think it would sound that great imo

See above statement

No

Something like a woo audio wa6 se or Feliks audio echo are good choices imo. The tor audio Rodger is also good. With upgraded tubes I think the 336se preforms well too. Finding a used massdrop Eddie current is also a good choice I think

1 Like

@M0N thanks again, you are a legend!

Would these be good tubes for the darkvoice?
RCA 6AS7G Tube - 125/125 Strong
Sylvania 6SN7 GTB Tube

(Asking, someone is selling the darkvoice with these upgraded tubes)

If Iā€™m looking for really wide headphones, huge soundstage, great imaging, what cans would you suggest? I thought thats where the 800s shined.

They do well in that regard, very impressive wow factor for stage. My gripes come from that itā€™s not natural stage and exaggerated, it just sounds artificially boosted and not like a soundstage should sound imo, but not everyone is after what I like. I personally prefer the clear overall but thatā€™s a preference thing

Those sound pretty good, there are also many tube rolling threads for the darkvoice on here too

Iā€™ll check those thanks!

I suppose my DAC, toppling D10, would need upgrading if I go with one of the amp listed aboveā€¦?

It should be fine, but perhaps consider something like the topping d50s or enog 2 pro

Iā€™ve never really taken to these, Iā€™ve always wanted to like them but I tend to think that a headphone selling at that price point should be good out of the box whereas the good experiences Iā€™ve had with these have used EQ to tame them.

Yeah. I agree with this. They sound good on a 789 but the darkvoice with some good tubes calms down the highs/peaky treble. Makes it warmer which it benefits from.

Selling my HD800S. Really good condition. All accessories and box. PM me if interested. Listed on eBay but can save on taxes and fees here.

any particular reason why youā€™re selling them?

1 Like

I sold them because I got the Clears and I couldnā€™t justify keeping both. I also like the Clears more all around. I guess I could keep them both but I have personal rules to keep myself level headed in this hobby lol. The HD800S is fun for gaming but canā€™t keep them for only that reason. About the only thing I will miss from the hd800S is the stage and large presentation.

4 Likes

So you thought the 800s sounded objectively better and more accurate in-game than the Clear? Orā€¦? Iā€™m trying to figure out what comes in a close 2nd place(if anything), assuming HD800/s is 1st.

Joshua Valor said in his review of the Focal Utopia that this headphone could be found for like 700-800$ used. not sure which version.

Most likely the hd800, the 800s tends to fetch a bit higher

Yes, assuming HD800/s is #1.

I just checked Ebae, and HD800 was in the $900ā€™s(weird to search for). But Iā€™m curious if a close 2nd place headphone exists yet, thatā€™s up to about the same price($1700).

Didnt Sennhieser lower the price recently?

Hm? Not sure if this is directed at me?

Just clarifying that HD800/s = HD800 or HD800s, and looking for what might be a close 2nd place to that/those. I guess I canā€™t make a post yet, heh.

I think itā€™s a strong statement, when Josh V. says they(HD800) are by far the best headphones(for gaming) heā€™s heard, as of Jan 2019. What would be 2nd place, I have no clue, and probably shouldnā€™t bother lol.

yes, the hd800S is a better gaming headphone over the clear. Id take the elegia over the clear for gaming imo. The hd800S has really good imaging and soundstage, along with its sound signature that makes it a good gaming headphone. But for music id take the clear. You can game with the clear, but i mostly play FPS and the clearā€™s signature doesnt work that great imo.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! Do you have experience with AD700X, 900X or 1000X to compare to HD800/s?

1 Like